New 642 owner

New 642 owner

This is a discussion on New 642 owner within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just ordered a new 642 .. Paid less than 400... As there were not any in town at the time so I did go ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 642 owner

New 642 owner

I just ordered a new 642 .. Paid less than 400... As there were not any in town at the time so I did go online to get what I wanted.
    So I am ordering a set of stag grips with a T-grip in bronze and one of his bronze trigger shoes. Prolly won’t use the trigger shoe but want it anyways. Then off she goes to cylinder and slide to have a big dot installed as a front sight. Naturally this is going to be my pocket gun, consider it my new constant companion and a BUG for my XD45, which also has been totally reworked. NOW THE BIG QUESTION. I want a carbon hammer and trigger installed and that dang storage key thingy, lock, gizmo -NUETRALIZED / removed. So I will take a file to that little nubby thing. Where can I get the stock parts so I can file that little thingy off and still have the ability to replace it back to stock if need be. Please provide part numbers and source.
    Honor, Courage, Virtue. These are what makes a man.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Mo
    Can't you just take the sideplate off and remove the lock lever? No need to file anything.

Also, by the time you pay to have the front sight milled off and dovetailed for the XS sight, you could have paid for one of the titanium models with the pin-on front sight blade.

Don't get a trigger shoe! Dangerous. Good call on the Tyler though, I've always liked that setup.

And I have no clue what you mean by a carbon hammer/trigger, but I sure as hell don't know everything. Let's see some pics!

let you know about just removing it in a day or 2. heard you had to grind it down.
    didnt like the stock pinned smith sights.. old ... need that big ol' dot.
    I just want the shoe to have... not use.
    I am talking about carbon steel vs. MIM.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Well good luck with all that. I'm happy with my stock 642, might add a set of CT laser grips.

congrats on an awesome new gun!

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Are you sure you wanna go bronze with stainless and stags?
    Attached Images

oooooooo,,,, maybe not
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

New 642

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead45 View Post
    I just ordered a new 642 .. Paid less than 400... As there were not any in town at the time so I did go online to get what I wanted.
    So I am ordering a set of stag grips with a T-grip in bronze and one of his bronze trigger shoes. Prolly won’t use the trigger shoe but want it anyways. Then off she goes to cylinder and slide to have a big dot installed as a front sight. Naturally this is going to be my pocket gun, consider it my new constant companion and a BUG for my XD45, which also has been totally reworked. NOW THE BIG QUESTION. I want a carbon hammer and trigger installed and that dang storage key thingy, lock, gizmo -NUETRALIZED / removed. So I will take a file to that little nubby thing. Where can I get the stock parts so I can file that little thingy off and still have the ability to replace it back to stock if need be. Please provide part numbers and source.

Jarhead45- Do a search on smith-wessonforum.com- dedicated to Smith&Wesson firearms. I know someone posted pictures on the lock some time ago. You may find the hammer and trigger for sale in their classified.Or you may try Brownell's. Good luck.

VIP Member
    Removing the lock is not too difficult. It will void the warranty, but who cares. There are good directions out on the internet with pictures, but here are the cliff notes.

Remove the grips, cylinder, crane arm, and side plate, Remove the hammer spring and hammer. Remove the safety locking plate and screw from the frame. Take a small screwdriver (eye glasses size) and push the U shaped piece toward the front of the revolver while similtaniously apply pressure to the trigger lock from the outside of the frame (the trigger lock key servers this purpose well). The lock will pop out. Now use the screwdriver to pull the U shaped piece and spring out being careful not to damage the small spring. Reinstall the hammer and hammer spring, and close it all up. ** Take care not to force any parts when removing the safety lock.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveLeather View Post
    Are you sure you wanna go bronze with stainless and stags?
    LL - need to know alot more info on what you have done!! I was pleased with my 642 grips UNTIL I saw those!! Who, where, what, why, how - answers!!

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Actually, mine is a pre-lock 442 that I had hard chromed in matte finish...while it was at Ford's I had them put a red ramp in, but it popped out once (it was hard plastic) and Kings gun works put in a pliable one that holds much better...in hindsight, I would leave it alone as the blade is so small, it really makes little difference...I like those finger grooves on yours Kevin and they look awesome, but I'm not a big fan of a smooth finish on small grips since this puppy really kicks with +ps.....I find the scarring of the stag makes for a bit firmer grip...:)

I also sent along the t-grip since it was shiny aluminum....they bead blasted to match the hard chrome finish...

I've got moose and elk on some cowboy guns and they really did help with my shooting - the smooth grips are a touch tricker - but not a lot, to me anyway..

Very nice!! The t-grip just goes perfect with the stag. Nice job

have you been watching "Pimp my Carry Peice"?
    Just kidding...
    I carry a 642 everyday, great gun.
    The only thing I wouldn't do is mess w/ the lock..mostly for leagal reasons.Just me being paranoid about dumb lawyers.
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

Quote Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
    have you been watching "Pimp my Carry Peice"?
    Just kidding...
    I carry a 642 everyday, great gun.
    The only thing I wouldn't do is mess w/ the lock..mostly for leagal reasons.Just me being paranoid about dumb lawyers.
    You are not paranoid, the lawyers ARE out to get you.

I'm a huge fan of the 642. I love mine. It's always on me, even when the XD40 has to stay home alone.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links