Steyr M9A1

Steyr M9A1

This is a discussion on Steyr M9A1 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just by a fluke I was at a local gunshop and my dealer had a flyer from CDNN. Thumbing thru it I saw that they ...

Thread: Steyr M9A1

Steyr M9A1

Just by a fluke I was at a local gunshop and my dealer had a flyer from CDNN. Thumbing thru it I saw that they had Steyrs MA1 series in both 9mm and .40 for $339.00. I have never really looked closely at one before but have heard good things about them so I thought for that price, why not. Apparently the company was going thru a reorganization with a new owner and CDNN bought out there entire inventory.
    I have to report after my 1'st range session with it today WOW!
    Points like a Luger and is now one of my favorite pistols. Typical Austrian quality with fantastic ergonomics, this this just feels right. The thing ate everything I put thru it and the accuracy at 25 yds was like a death ray. If you get a chance to shoot one you'll want it. I'm buying another one before they're all gone. This is the gun Glock should have been.
    Attached Images

I like them a lot myself. I almost bought one, but the only gun shop in my area that sells them is ... well DC rules prohibit me expressing my opinion.

My friend carried one for several years right after they came out. I loved borrowing it at the range.

Quote Originally Posted by mag318
    This is the gun Glock should have been.

I have the original M9, it was a good deal too. Much better than a Glock in every way, especially grip ergonomics. It's so hard to believe that the gun is virtually unknown. I rarely hear of it. I have always felt that I belonged to a secret cult... hahaha. Everyone who shoots my M9 remarks about how well it handles and shoots... then they go out and buy something else. I don't get it.

The gun field strips in less than five seconds, has one of the best striker fired DAO triggers around, feels good in the hand, and shoots well... don't tell anybody... 'cause you're in the cult now... shhh!

You guys should join STEYR CLUB .COM . I did after I bought a M40-A1 AND I will be ordering the M9-A1 in a couple of weeks . I agree with you it's the gun Glock should have been . This summer the new S model (compact ) should be out !!!!!! Don't order extra mags through CDNN , they're $5 cheaper through Steyr . Also there is a guy on STEYR CLUB site that makes a captured guiderod spring for the A1 pistols .

Distinguished Member
    Oh, man, this is just one more whack on the head. Sold my Steyr last year on a whim. Still new on the gun circuit and found very little press on them. However, to date, it is the most accurate and ergonomically comfortable gun I've owned. Been regretting it ever since. Now, I'm in a cash crunch because of two monster car repairs so I'm selling my Equinox. At less then half the price I can replace it with the Steyr. You just pushed me over the edge. Soon as the Equinox sells (along with two tv's) I'm picking up that Steyr.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Before I bought my last gun(a 637) I made a bid for the old S40 series on gunbroker...It got too expensive and I had to back out. Still kick my self for not getting a M40 instead. I like the 637 too but a Steyr is on the "wants" list...

I've got a Steyr M40-A1 and I absolutely love it. It's my carry gun and was my first centerfire pistol. Points fantastic and reliable as all get out. I'm thinking of picking up a M9-A1 while CDNN has them so cheap but am not sure I don't want to diversify my collection a bit more than a Steyr, a SIG, and two Berettas.
    "I play for keeps."

I bought one and had second thoughts. This was in .40 caliber. I had previously selected it over the CZ-75B in .40. Nearly drove myself 'batty' over the decision.

After I put it on layaway, I changed my mind and was able to switch to the CZ.

I wasn't enamored with the sights on the Steyr, but the decision to go with the CZ came down to proven reliability and track-record over many rounds, and the company and CS was well-established.

The Steyr is the 'sleeper' gun of them all. It's a great gun, but I went with the CZ, and don't regret it. I think the CZ may be a tad more accurate, also. Mine's all steel, and built to last. It is solely a fun gun for me, as it's too heavy for carry, imho. Good home SD gun, though.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rumblefish View Post
    I bought one and had second thoughts. This was in .40 caliber. I had previously selected it over the CZ-75B in .40. Nearly drove myself 'batty' over the decision.

After I put it on layaway, I changed my mind and was able to switch to the CZ.

I wasn't enamored with the sights on the Steyr, but the decision to go with the CZ came down to proven reliability and track-record over many rounds, and the company and CS was well-established.

The Steyr is the 'sleeper' gun of them all. It's a great gun, but I went with the CZ, and don't regret it. I think the CZ may be a tad more accurate, also. Mine's all steel, and built to last. It is solely a fun gun for me, as it's too heavy for carry, imho. Good home SD gun, though.
    +1 Rumble! You are on the money. When I first joined DC (then Combat Carry) I mentioned I carried a Steyr. You'd think I farted in church. This is really encouraging to see this thread. I think I sold my Equinox today. Got to pay some bills. But you can bet your sweet behind that I'm calling CDNN as soon as the cash is in my hand and getting a Steyr 40. I'm honestly more excited about that than when I got my first Sig. I've gone through a dozen plus pistols and I'm back to the Steyr. Go figure!
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    +1 Rumble! You are on the money. When I first joined DC (then Combat Carry) I mentioned I carried a Steyr. You'd think I farted in church. This is really encouraging to see this thread. I think I sold my Equinox today. Got to pay some bills. But you can bet your sweet behind that I'm calling CDNN as soon as the cash is in my hand and getting a Steyr 40. I'm honestly more excited about that than when I got my first Sig. I've gone through a dozen plus pistols and I'm back to the Steyr. Go figure!
    Sold my Equinox yesterday. Guess what I'm getting today?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JHoff View Post
    I've got a Steyr M40-A1 and I absolutely love it. It's my carry gun and was my first centerfire pistol. Points fantastic and reliable as all get out. I'm thinking of picking up a M9-A1 while CDNN has them so cheap but am not sure I don't want to diversify my collection a bit more than a Steyr, a SIG, and two Berettas.
    Got my Steyr .40 last week and shot it yesterday. Interesting how I have been around the block with just about every make and caliber these past two years and I am back to Steyr but in a .40 this time. As many of the "old timers" have said, "When you find it, you'll know it." I'm done hunting. Ergonomics, reliability, light, and dead on accurate.

Smile

Yeah, it's a great gun. As I said in an earlier post, I had a hard time deciding between that and the CZ-75B in .40.

Both were priced identically, I put the money down on the Steyr but had a change of heart, though the Steyr won out when I made my little comparison chart/sheet of 'pros' and 'cons' for each. I even weighted that sheet for different categories and the Steyr won out, despite the perceived lack of support and parts, which may or may not be an accurate perception.

I went with my 'gut', though. The ironic thing is that I haven't shot the CZ all that much as I'm enamored with my S&W 442 and reloading clone loads of the Speer 135gr GDHPSB, and shooting my recently acquired Kahr CW9, which I totally love.

Anyway, I think the CZ and Steyr are on an equal footing, though I think the CZ is more appealing from an aesthetic standpoint. Ergonomically, I believe the Steyr wins out...

There have been times that I've sold SLR cameras and guns and then missed them-so your reacquiring the Steyr (though in a different caliber) is something I can readily identify...enjoy your new purchase!

Sponsored Links