Colt trooper MK III vs. python

This is a discussion on Colt trooper MK III vs. python within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a chance to pick up a used but in very nice almost like new condition colt trooper mk III .357 with a 4" ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt trooper MK III vs. python

Colt trooper MK III vs. python

I have a chance to pick up a used but in very nice almost like new condition colt trooper mk III .357 with a 4" inch barrel. It is blued and I think the price is $400 or so. Now I was wondering how this gun compares to a python? I was also wondering what frame these guns were built on? I think the diamondback was a D-frame but wasn't the trooper and python also a D-frame guns as well? I like revolvers and have always wanted a python but they are so expensive. So I figure for defenseive work or carry and shooting maybe the trooper isn't a bad compromise. For those here own this gun are you happy with it?

2. Remove Ads

Both the Colt Trooper MK III and the Colt Python were built on Colt's "I" frame. This frame is similar in size to Smith and Wesson's "L" frame. Both Colt revolvers can take a steady diet of .357 magnum cartridges. If I am not mistaken, the famous Sheriff of McNairy County, Tennessee Buford Pusser, carried a Colt Trooper .357 up until his untimely death on August 21,1974. Sheriff Pusser was 6'6" and 250lbs., so he could carry this revolver well. He put this gun to good use in his battles with the "State Line Mob". I had a Colt Trooper MKIII back in the 1980's and I thought it was every bit as nice as the Colt Python and accurate too!

I've owned both, and still own a Python.

Different actions, the Python is the older style like the officers match and the Trooper is like the more modern King Cobra. The Trooper action requires less hand fitting which is the biggest reason for the lower price.

Both of my Pythons had much smoother actions than my Trooper did.

Having said that, the Trooper is a great revolver and I never had a problem with mine.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Python is a much smoother action...the finest I've ever felt. Sold mine long ago when I could only afford one weapon at a time...rats...wish I had it back.
    "If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men." Romans 12:18
    ...if not...be prepared to meet Mr.10mm, .45, .40 or any one of their little brothers.

The Colt Trooper MKIII is a very good revolver and if you have never owned/shot a Python you will be very happy. Would I buy the Trooper? YOU BETCHA! Regards, Richard

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I bought and carried a Trooper Mk III for 17 years as a Reserve PO. Great gun.

I had contemplated buying the Python instead back then, but couldn't justify the cost for a gun that might get damaged in a brawl with a perp.

Still have my Trooper. Haven't shot it in years, but won't part with it either.

I've carried both i like the python better,but both guns are heavy duty shooters
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

My dad has a python and I've had the privledge of shooting it. Very nice gun in my opinion. To my amazement he said it would be mine soon, he has been a carpenter for years and his shoulders are starting to bother him. So he recently purchased a lighter .40 S&W semi and doesn't shoot the python anymore. Gonna look good in my collection. Haven't had the pleasure of shooting the trooper, but I like the python. I guess once I get the python I'll have to get me an anaconda to go with it.
    Ruger GP100 .357 mag
    Ruger p-90 .45acp
    Taurus PT-140 acp
    Rossi .357 mag
    Hi-point .45 acp
    DTI AR-15

I have a six inch Trooper MkIII. I got mine used, from a friend years ago and am quite happy with it.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Python is without a doubt the slickest revolver I've shot, the action is silky smooth. LOVE IT.

I kick myself in the ass every time I think about the 6" Trooper that I traded a couple of years ago. After an action job, mine was as smooth as silk and very accurate to boot. Even after shooting hundreds of full house magnums, she was still very tight and the blueing superb. Grab the LNIB Trooper for $400. You won't be sorry.

Colt Pythons

I don't know too much about the Colt Trooper, never having shot one. But I would vouch for the Python as one of the best revolvers ever made.

I bought one about 8 years ago, slightly used in maybe 98% condition. I keep it in a padded container in the safe, and take it out maybe twice a year to shoot a few .38 specials through it. In terms of accuracy, the thing shoots like a rifle.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Thumbs up Colt Mk III

Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    I have a chance to pick up a used but in very nice almost like new condition colt trooper mk III .357 with a 4" inch barrel. It is blued and I think the price is $400 or so. Now I was wondering how this gun compares to a python? I was also wondering what frame these guns were built on? I think the diamondback was a D-frame but wasn't the trooper and python also a D-frame guns as well? I like revolvers and have always wanted a python but they are so expensive. So I figure for defenseive work or carry and shooting maybe the trooper isn't a bad compromise. For those here own this gun are you happy with it?
    Fair price for a like new condition revolver.It would compare to a Python in that it is a sturdy design,beyond that there isn't much to compare.Pythons are much better finished and are a completely different and hand tuned action.The MK III action is a Colt "J" frame (which is somewhat beefier than a D frame).Pythons are "I" frames,developed from the older "E" frame of the same size which was originally Colts' .41 cal. frame.
    I have owned MK III Colts and they are a good design that should serve you well and probably trouble free for the rest of your life.
    U.S. Army Veteran

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pistola View Post
    ...they are a good design that should serve you well and probably trouble free for the rest of your life.
    Get it as soon as possible!

Should you get a Python, the absolute best Python mechanic out there is Frank Glenn:
    Frank Glenn-Glenn Custom Complete Gunsmithing Service Glendale AZ - Pricing, Colt Python
    The Edge ... there's no honest way to describe it. The only ones who know where it is have gone over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links