Best carry weapon for someone new to guns? - Page 3

Best carry weapon for someone new to guns?

This is a discussion on Best carry weapon for someone new to guns? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Another vote for the revolver. J or K frame....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Another vote for the revolver. J or K frame.
    Kel Tec P-32 .32
    Grendel P-10 .380

Tuff choice, me if I had to go back to the begining I would have went with a walther ppk. Your hand size sounds like me and a walther will fit nicely and they are a simple reliable design.
    The small revolvers I have had actually didnt fit my hand real well but was easily fixed with after market grips.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Your thoughts about starting with a Glock 26 are right on the money in my opinion. SmartCarry is a viable carry method year round.

I say go with that Glock for its simplicity, concealability and above all it's reliabiltiy!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I always recommend a good snub nose revolver, like the S&W 642 in .38 special, for someone new to guns and wanting a quality carry piece. Later on you can get a nice semi automatic pistol after you learn the fundamentals of gun handling. A revolver is simpler and safer for a neophyte to handle.

Quote Originally Posted by David Lin View Post
    WOW,

Thanks so much for all your responses. I had no clue that I'd get so many. Rhome, to answer your question that jumped out at me I am of small stature with a slight build. I am 5 foot 9 inches tall and 151 pounds with short arms and legs and small wrists. I would say that my hands are average sized for a guy but my fingers may be shorter than average and my thumbs may be wider than average. Does this affect the handgun selection?

Well I believe it would, thats why it would be important for you to rent some handguns you are thinking of carrying and see if they are comfortable for you to shoot effectivly. Go try some out, you may find that you really like and can shoot the Glock, or maybe the Springfield XD's will feel better to you. Only you will be able to tell. What ever handgun you do end up with, practice, practice, practice.
    Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. ~ Robin Williams ~
    www.desbiensgunleather.com

David:

Being a trainer and educator in the personal defense world, and also living practically next door (Rochester), I can congratulate you on your choice to carry.

My recommendations: First, gather as much information about handguns (not weapons) and learn what you can about them. Every gun is different. I cannot answer your questions. Only you can after you gain some critical knowledge. Once you have that, you can find the perfect gun. Do not try to get a sub compact or mini gun for your first gun. They have their limitations and you will find them fairly quickly. Smaller guns are harder to shoot as they recoil more, are harder to operate, and will not allow you to shoot them as much as you should to become proficient with them. I can tell you from practical experience and a long time spent on the range in many training sessions that the smaller the gun, the more problems and the less you will shoot it.

Go with a mid size gun in a 9mm or larger caliber. A good 9mm will have the kinetic energy transfer rate that will work. Do not look for the 'one shot stop' as that has been proven to be a myth and an unrealistic expectation.

I would look up Jim Carr. He is in your area and knows his stuff. I think the company he runs is called Carr Security Consulting. Take some firearms classes from him after the permit gets in. OR, swing over to Rochester and grab something out of my curriculum.

Take the safety class, then start studying. Find out what guns are good and what are bad. Listen to what people are shooting and what they say about the guns.

The worst thing you can do is to let someone pick the gun for you. Only you can pick the right one with the right knowledge.

Feel free to email me with any questions, I would be more than happy to help.

Dave

The Glock 26 is nice. Check out the Smith and Wesson M&P9c also.

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Snubbies are great..but not great first guns as they are hard to shoot well...I usually recommend a revolver as a first gun though...but the bigger ones are harder to conceal...so I would suggest a nice double action auto...maybe an HK P2000 or a traditional DA/SA Smith and Wesson 3913...sure, autos take a bit of practice to get to know, but they are worth it...and you will enjoy shooting them and be a pro before you know it...

One note, I have used HK, SW, and KelTec. HK is excellent quality. In my opinion, the best. KelTec is a low priced gun and much lower in quality. One of my biggest concerns with the KelTec is that if you have a failure (and you will) it is much harder to clear the jams. Not a big deal at the range but if you need it for self defense and your pulse rate is now around 200, best of luck to ya. I had a PF9 and it was about 97% reliable. (not good enough) I sold it due to jams not clearing nearly easy enough. J frames are very reliable and accurate at 7 yards and less which is a good self defense distance. SW model 60 is stainless, still pretty light, concealable, no larger than the PF9, available in 357, and will last two lifetimes. Good Luck!

first of all welcome to dc from s.e.michigan. my vote i"d say would be
    the g-27"s little brother but just my $0.02 worth. ofcourse as posted
    many times before every gun is deffrent for deffrent people.
    find a range where you can try deffrent guns and see what works
    best for ya. good luck in your search.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

If you're thinking semi-auto, try looking at Bersa. They're made in Argentina and are great firearms. They're just lately catching on in the states and right now are very affordable (approx. half the cost of a Glock). They come with a lifetime warranty, and the .380 or 9mm compact are very concealable. (The .380 is based on the Walther PPK; great looking gun.)

Bersa Thunder 380 Chapterhouse

:: Bersa Talk ::
    Freedom ... must be fought for, protected, and handed on ... or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -- Ronald Reagan, 1967

"Just remember that caring a gun isn't supposed to be comfortable as much as comforting."

I too subscribe to this statement made earlier by rmarcustucker and prefer and recommend revolvers such as the K-Frame Smith & Wesson, Colt Detective Special, or Ruger SP 101.

The lightweight J-Frame S&Ws are great but it is frequently just as easy to conceal a larger K-Frame revolver. The K-Frame is more shootable which is important to me.

To me the revolver is a top choice both for someone new to guns or for a seasoned shooter.

For my first carry gun, I bought a S&W 60LS snub nose revolver. It's chambered for .357 for stopping power but also handles .38+P for practice and/or self defense. I find that it fits in a front pocket inside a pocket holster and the weight is not bad at all once you get used to it.

If I had it to do over, though, I would get a Ruger SP101. It's just a tad heavier, but it doesn't have an internal locking mechanism like the newer S&W's that may malfunction and make the gun useless for defense.

Revolvers have lower capacity (generally) than pistols, but the trade off for that is that they are mechanically simpler and don't have failures to eject issues or other complications that can't be resolved by simply squeezing the trigger again.

That said, I have subsequently invested in an HK USP.45 Compact and a Springfield XD subcompact. They are bigger and won't carry in the pocket, but I can carry them concealed quite comfortably in the right clothing.

I got my CHL in Jan. Before then I had only shot a hand gun 1 time. The 1st gun I purchased was a Bersa Thunder .380 I found it very easy to shoot and OK for CCW in a belly band. Just like the Glocks XD9 3in and some of the other guns I found it hard the carry IWB just to uncomfortable for me. Here in Texas it is starting to get warm and I knew the belly band is just not going to work on a hot Texas Summer Day. After talking with some other fellow CHLers I bought a Kahr PM9, Thin small and in a 9mm will pack a punch, but they don't come cheap 600+. I am very happy i spent the money, the PM9 shoots good and I can carry it all day IWB and I hardly no its their.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RochPersDef View Post
    David:

Being a trainer and educator in the personal defense world, and also living practically next door (Rochester), I can congratulate you on your choice to carry.

My recommendations: First, gather as much information about handguns (not weapons) and learn what you can about them. Every gun is different. I cannot answer your questions. Only you can after you gain some critical knowledge. Once you have that, you can find the perfect gun. Do not try to get a sub compact or mini gun for your first gun. They have their limitations and you will find them fairly quickly. Smaller guns are harder to shoot as they recoil more, are harder to operate, and will not allow you to shoot them as much as you should to become proficient with them. I can tell you from practical experience and a long time spent on the range in many training sessions that the smaller the gun, the more problems and the less you will shoot it.

Go with a mid size gun in a 9mm or larger caliber. A good 9mm will have the kinetic energy transfer rate that will work. Do not look for the 'one shot stop' as that has been proven to be a myth and an unrealistic expectation.

I would look up Jim Carr. He is in your area and knows his stuff. I think the company he runs is called Carr Security Consulting. Take some firearms classes from him after the permit gets in. OR, swing over to Rochester and grab something out of my curriculum.

Take the safety class, then start studying. Find out what guns are good and what are bad. Listen to what people are shooting and what they say about the guns.

The worst thing you can do is to let someone pick the gun for you. Only you can pick the right one with the right knowledge.

Feel free to email me with any questions, I would be more than happy to help.

Dave
    +1! EXCELLENT ADVICE - ESPECIALLY REGARDING CLASSES AND TRAINING. Learn good habits from the gitgo so you don't have to break a life time of bad habits!! Guns safety is #1!!
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links