BUG/secondary carry - Page 2

BUG/secondary carry

This is a discussion on BUG/secondary carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would go with a j frame. .38 135gr speer GDs will offer sufficient stopping power....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BUG/secondary carry

I would go with a j frame. .38 135gr speer GDs will offer sufficient stopping power.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

i just heard that uncle sam is depositing the "economic stimulus" checks in the accounts of people like me who opted for automatic deposit of their tax refunds in the next few days. that $300 plus the $100 i'll be getting for a side job plus payday means i'll be making a trip to the gun store later this week :)

i'm thinking sw 642

but i'll also be handling several other firearms during my decision process. i like the reliability of the hammerless j-frame though, so that's pretty much number one on my list. i'm freakin pumped. another new gun is just what i need to reward myself after exams this week

.38 Special Caliber: 4-inch Barrel
    One Shot Stopping Success: 51-83 % (Actual)
    Self Defense Rating: Very Good
    Recommended Cartridges:

Cor-Bon +P+ JHP 115 grains 83%
    Winchester +P LHP 158 grains 78%
    Federal +P LHP 158 grains 77%
    Federal +P JHP 125 grains 73%
    Remington +P SJHP 125 grains 73%
    Winchester +P+ JHP 110 grains 71%
    CCI +P JHP 125 grains 70%
    Remington +P LHP 158 grains 69%
    Surprising, the very high pressure Cor-Bon produces less felt recoil and muzzle flip when compared to the second-ranked recommended cartridge. However, it should be used only in modern 6-shot revolvers.

The 158 grain recommendations are known as the "FBI" or "Chicago" loads. They are proven manstoppers, about on par with .45 caliber ball. All fixed sight .38 Special revolvers are regulated at the factory to shoot point-of-aim with this load. Lighter grained bullets will tend to shoot lower.

For practice, it is economical to shoot CCI JHP, 158 grains, in the inexpensive aluminum-cased "Blazer" line. This round duplicates the ballistics and recoil of the FBI load without fouling the handgun barrel with lead deposits, which are extremely difficult to remove during cleaning.

The admonition concerning +P ammunition is again reiterated: restrict the use of +P loads to steel framed .38 Special revolvers only, or the newer Smith & Wesson "Airlite" or "Airweight" models certified for +P use. Use standard pressure loads in older aluminum-framed revolvers. Shooting less than 50 rounds of +P ammunition in an older aluminum framed revolver probably won't hurt it. Shooting more than 100 probably will.

Why not practice with standard pressure loads, and carry +P ammunition when packing it for self-defense? The kick of a +P round is severe, and inhibits accurate repeat shots. With standard pressure ammunition, proper shot placement and rapid delivery of subsequent hits is enhanced.

The best standard pressure .38 Special load is the Federal "Nyclad", LHP, 125 grains. This round is known as the "Chief's Special" load. The Winchester "Silvertip", JHP, 110 grains, is another acceptable standard pressure .38 Special cartridge.

Penetration of .38 Special rounds can be expected to be on the order of 8 to 10 inches.

found that at
    Selection of best ammunition for a defensive handgun

Thank you for posting the above link johnny.

It's a little "dated" but still very good information. It tends to mirror my thinking in regards to ammo selection with few exceptions. I noticed that it doesn't list the Gold Dot 135 Grain "Short Barrel" load for the 38 Special, hence my comment on being "dated".

If one selects from the options on the list they won't go wrong IMHO.

Biker

Biker do you have a website that has more up to date info? the best i can find is dates march 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrigger View Post
    .38 Special Caliber: 4-inch Barrel
    One Shot Stopping Success: 51-83 % (Actual)
    Self Defense Rating: Very Good
    Recommended Cartridges:

Cor-Bon +P+ JHP 115 grains 83%
    Winchester +P LHP 158 grains 78%
    Federal +P LHP 158 grains 77%
    Federal +P JHP 125 grains 73%
    Remington +P SJHP 125 grains 73%
    Winchester +P+ JHP 110 grains 71%
    CCI +P JHP 125 grains 70%
    Remington +P LHP 158 grains 69%
    Surprising, the very high pressure Cor-Bon produces less felt recoil and muzzle flip when compared to the second-ranked recommended cartridge. However, it should be used only in modern 6-shot revolvers.

The 158 grain recommendations are known as the "FBI" or "Chicago" loads. They are proven manstoppers, about on par with .45 caliber ball. All fixed sight .38 Special revolvers are regulated at the factory to shoot point-of-aim with this load. Lighter grained bullets will tend to shoot lower.

For practice, it is economical to shoot CCI JHP, 158 grains, in the inexpensive aluminum-cased "Blazer" line. This round duplicates the ballistics and recoil of the FBI load without fouling the handgun barrel with lead deposits, which are extremely difficult to remove during cleaning.

The admonition concerning +P ammunition is again reiterated: restrict the use of +P loads to steel framed .38 Special revolvers only, or the newer Smith & Wesson "Airlite" or "Airweight" models certified for +P use. Use standard pressure loads in older aluminum-framed revolvers. Shooting less than 50 rounds of +P ammunition in an older aluminum framed revolver probably won't hurt it. Shooting more than 100 probably will.

Why not practice with standard pressure loads, and carry +P ammunition when packing it for self-defense? The kick of a +P round is severe, and inhibits accurate repeat shots. With standard pressure ammunition, proper shot placement and rapid delivery of subsequent hits is enhanced.

The best standard pressure .38 Special load is the Federal "Nyclad", LHP, 125 grains. This round is known as the "Chief's Special" load. The Winchester "Silvertip", JHP, 110 grains, is another acceptable standard pressure .38 Special cartridge.

Penetration of .38 Special rounds can be expected to be on the order of 8 to 10 inches.

found that at
    Selection of best ammunition for a defensive handgun
    now THAT's what i was looking for. thanks!

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    J-frame.............
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrigger View Post
    Biker do you have a website that has more up to date info? the best i can find is dates march 2002.
    Try:
    www.stoppingpower.net

It's a great site.

I've been pocket carying a S&W 642 Featherwieght for some time now and am very happy with it, but will still be looking at a LCP and will more then likely buy one as soon as the silly things are available. The Smith is a little too wide and will sometimes rub me to death while jogging or biking. It is also fairly heavy for pocket carry, hense my intrest in the lighter Ruger. If you just gotta have the wheel gun though, spend the extra money on the Smith, it's just worth it and you know it!
    When in doubt, wup it out....

yeah i'm not thrilled about the manual safety on several of the pocket semi-autos, if i get a semi-auto it will be a g26, but i'd prefer the s&w. but i just found out today that since i filed my taxes as a "dependent" i get no economic stimulus check :(. so it'll be a few months before i get the gun. gotta save up to take the girlfriend to florida like i promised first.

ok, i actually just looked a little more into the LCP... and i may be sold. after comaring the ballistics of the .380 out of a 2" barrel to the .38 sp out of a 2" barrel, plus the lower cost, lighter weight, and extra capacity of the LCP... i'll have to handle one at the gun store. plus, since it's over $100 cheaper that takes a good 2 weeks off my saving time :)

Quote Originally Posted by mrhutch View Post
    ok, i actually just looked a little more into the LCP... and i may be sold. after comaring the ballistics of the .380 out of a 2" barrel to the .38 sp out of a 2" barrel, plus the lower cost, lighter weight, and extra capacity of the LCP... i'll have to handle one at the gun store. plus, since it's over $100 cheaper that takes a good 2 weeks off my saving time :)
    That's usin your coconut Hutch!
    When in doubt, wup it out....

Out of your choices I would choose a J Frame.But for me it would be a P3AT.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

S&W 642 otherwise, a Ruger LCP .380.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links