BUG/secondary carry - Page 2

BUG/secondary carry

This is a discussion on BUG/secondary carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would go with a j frame. .38 135gr speer GDs will offer sufficient stopping power....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 29 of 29

Thread: BUG/secondary carry

  1. #16
    VIP Member Array NY27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,387
    I would go with a j frame. .38 135gr speer GDs will offer sufficient stopping power.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!


  2. #17
    Member Array mrhutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    202
    i just heard that uncle sam is depositing the "economic stimulus" checks in the accounts of people like me who opted for automatic deposit of their tax refunds in the next few days. that $300 plus the $100 i'll be getting for a side job plus payday means i'll be making a trip to the gun store later this week :)

    i'm thinking sw 642

    but i'll also be handling several other firearms during my decision process. i like the reliability of the hammerless j-frame though, so that's pretty much number one on my list. i'm freakin pumped. another new gun is just what i need to reward myself after exams this week

  3. #18
    Member Array johnnyrigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Eagle River,Alaska
    Posts
    207
    .38 Special Caliber: 4-inch Barrel
    One Shot Stopping Success: 51-83 % (Actual)
    Self Defense Rating: Very Good
    Recommended Cartridges:


    Cor-Bon +P+ JHP 115 grains 83%
    Winchester +P LHP 158 grains 78%
    Federal +P LHP 158 grains 77%
    Federal +P JHP 125 grains 73%
    Remington +P SJHP 125 grains 73%
    Winchester +P+ JHP 110 grains 71%
    CCI +P JHP 125 grains 70%
    Remington +P LHP 158 grains 69%
    Surprising, the very high pressure Cor-Bon produces less felt recoil and muzzle flip when compared to the second-ranked recommended cartridge. However, it should be used only in modern 6-shot revolvers.

    The 158 grain recommendations are known as the "FBI" or "Chicago" loads. They are proven manstoppers, about on par with .45 caliber ball. All fixed sight .38 Special revolvers are regulated at the factory to shoot point-of-aim with this load. Lighter grained bullets will tend to shoot lower.

    For practice, it is economical to shoot CCI JHP, 158 grains, in the inexpensive aluminum-cased "Blazer" line. This round duplicates the ballistics and recoil of the FBI load without fouling the handgun barrel with lead deposits, which are extremely difficult to remove during cleaning.

    The admonition concerning +P ammunition is again reiterated: restrict the use of +P loads to steel framed .38 Special revolvers only, or the newer Smith & Wesson "Airlite" or "Airweight" models certified for +P use. Use standard pressure loads in older aluminum-framed revolvers. Shooting less than 50 rounds of +P ammunition in an older aluminum framed revolver probably won't hurt it. Shooting more than 100 probably will.

    Why not practice with standard pressure loads, and carry +P ammunition when packing it for self-defense? The kick of a +P round is severe, and inhibits accurate repeat shots. With standard pressure ammunition, proper shot placement and rapid delivery of subsequent hits is enhanced.

    The best standard pressure .38 Special load is the Federal "Nyclad", LHP, 125 grains. This round is known as the "Chief's Special" load. The Winchester "Silvertip", JHP, 110 grains, is another acceptable standard pressure .38 Special cartridge.

    Penetration of .38 Special rounds can be expected to be on the order of 8 to 10 inches.


    found that at
    Selection of best ammunition for a defensive handgun

  4. #19
    Ex Member Array BikerRN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    State of Discombobulation
    Posts
    5,253
    Thank you for posting the above link johnny.

    It's a little "dated" but still very good information. It tends to mirror my thinking in regards to ammo selection with few exceptions. I noticed that it doesn't list the Gold Dot 135 Grain "Short Barrel" load for the 38 Special, hence my comment on being "dated".

    If one selects from the options on the list they won't go wrong IMHO.

    Biker

  5. #20
    Member Array johnnyrigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Eagle River,Alaska
    Posts
    207
    Biker do you have a website that has more up to date info? the best i can find is dates march 2002.

  6. #21
    Member Array mrhutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrigger View Post
    .38 Special Caliber: 4-inch Barrel
    One Shot Stopping Success: 51-83 % (Actual)
    Self Defense Rating: Very Good
    Recommended Cartridges:


    Cor-Bon +P+ JHP 115 grains 83%
    Winchester +P LHP 158 grains 78%
    Federal +P LHP 158 grains 77%
    Federal +P JHP 125 grains 73%
    Remington +P SJHP 125 grains 73%
    Winchester +P+ JHP 110 grains 71%
    CCI +P JHP 125 grains 70%
    Remington +P LHP 158 grains 69%
    Surprising, the very high pressure Cor-Bon produces less felt recoil and muzzle flip when compared to the second-ranked recommended cartridge. However, it should be used only in modern 6-shot revolvers.

    The 158 grain recommendations are known as the "FBI" or "Chicago" loads. They are proven manstoppers, about on par with .45 caliber ball. All fixed sight .38 Special revolvers are regulated at the factory to shoot point-of-aim with this load. Lighter grained bullets will tend to shoot lower.

    For practice, it is economical to shoot CCI JHP, 158 grains, in the inexpensive aluminum-cased "Blazer" line. This round duplicates the ballistics and recoil of the FBI load without fouling the handgun barrel with lead deposits, which are extremely difficult to remove during cleaning.

    The admonition concerning +P ammunition is again reiterated: restrict the use of +P loads to steel framed .38 Special revolvers only, or the newer Smith & Wesson "Airlite" or "Airweight" models certified for +P use. Use standard pressure loads in older aluminum-framed revolvers. Shooting less than 50 rounds of +P ammunition in an older aluminum framed revolver probably won't hurt it. Shooting more than 100 probably will.

    Why not practice with standard pressure loads, and carry +P ammunition when packing it for self-defense? The kick of a +P round is severe, and inhibits accurate repeat shots. With standard pressure ammunition, proper shot placement and rapid delivery of subsequent hits is enhanced.

    The best standard pressure .38 Special load is the Federal "Nyclad", LHP, 125 grains. This round is known as the "Chief's Special" load. The Winchester "Silvertip", JHP, 110 grains, is another acceptable standard pressure .38 Special cartridge.

    Penetration of .38 Special rounds can be expected to be on the order of 8 to 10 inches.


    found that at
    Selection of best ammunition for a defensive handgun
    now THAT's what i was looking for. thanks!

  7. #22
    Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    lower hudson valley ny
    Posts
    849
    J-frame.............
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

  8. #23
    Ex Member Array BikerRN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    State of Discombobulation
    Posts
    5,253
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrigger View Post
    Biker do you have a website that has more up to date info? the best i can find is dates march 2002.
    Try:
    www.stoppingpower.net

    It's a great site.

  9. #24
    Member Array Headshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    East Central Florida
    Posts
    48
    I've been pocket carying a S&W 642 Featherwieght for some time now and am very happy with it, but will still be looking at a LCP and will more then likely buy one as soon as the silly things are available. The Smith is a little too wide and will sometimes rub me to death while jogging or biking. It is also fairly heavy for pocket carry, hense my intrest in the lighter Ruger. If you just gotta have the wheel gun though, spend the extra money on the Smith, it's just worth it and you know it!
    When in doubt, wup it out....

  10. #25
    Member Array mrhutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    202
    yeah i'm not thrilled about the manual safety on several of the pocket semi-autos, if i get a semi-auto it will be a g26, but i'd prefer the s&w. but i just found out today that since i filed my taxes as a "dependent" i get no economic stimulus check :(. so it'll be a few months before i get the gun. gotta save up to take the girlfriend to florida like i promised first.

  11. #26
    Member Array mrhutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    202
    ok, i actually just looked a little more into the LCP... and i may be sold. after comaring the ballistics of the .380 out of a 2" barrel to the .38 sp out of a 2" barrel, plus the lower cost, lighter weight, and extra capacity of the LCP... i'll have to handle one at the gun store. plus, since it's over $100 cheaper that takes a good 2 weeks off my saving time :)

  12. #27
    Member Array Headshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    East Central Florida
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhutch View Post
    ok, i actually just looked a little more into the LCP... and i may be sold. after comaring the ballistics of the .380 out of a 2" barrel to the .38 sp out of a 2" barrel, plus the lower cost, lighter weight, and extra capacity of the LCP... i'll have to handle one at the gun store. plus, since it's over $100 cheaper that takes a good 2 weeks off my saving time :)
    That's usin your coconut Hutch!
    When in doubt, wup it out....

  13. #28
    VIP Member Array TWO GUNS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    2,691
    Out of your choices I would choose a J Frame.But for me it would be a P3AT.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

  14. #29
    VIP Member Array crzy4guns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,637
    S&W 642 otherwise, a Ruger LCP .380.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Help me find a secondary holster for my Ruger LCR
    By Madcap_Magician in forum Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: December 20th, 2010, 11:40 AM
  2. TSA and Secondary Searches
    By KSCarry in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: October 11th, 2010, 03:17 PM
  3. Primary/Secondary Tactics
    By BikerRN in forum Defensive Carry & Tactical Training
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: October 26th, 2008, 08:25 PM
  4. Questionable quality on secondary gun
    By Sticks in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: January 13th, 2008, 12:46 AM
  5. Secondary Trip Gun
    By ExSoldier in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: July 2nd, 2006, 09:11 PM

Search tags for this page

115 grain 9mm stopping power speer gold dot standard pressure stoppingpower.net

,

how to carry j frame as secondary

,

secondary carry guns

,

the bug secondary handgun

Click on a term to search for related topics.