Is it better to buy a 9mm Glock gun or a conversion kit?

This is a discussion on Is it better to buy a 9mm Glock gun or a conversion kit? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since I figured out why my Glocks were uncomfortable (very sharp checkering) I think I am going to add to my Glock collection instead of ...

Thread: Is it better to buy a 9mm Glock gun or a conversion kit?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Is it better to buy a 9mm Glock gun or a conversion kit?

Since I figured out why my Glocks were uncomfortable (very sharp checkering) I think I am going to add to my Glock collection instead of buying the XD. I want to get a .45 and a 9mm. I already have the .40s.

As far as the 9mm goes, would it be better to buy a 19 (compact) and 26 (subcompact) or just buy the 9mm barrel conversion kits for the .40? I may use it as a carry gun, so reliability is of my utmost concern. The advantage of the conversion kits is it is significantly cheaper than a whole new gun and I can get a .45 and a couple of 9mm barrels for the price of two guns. (Think rebate check).
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    Since I figured out why my Glocks were uncomfortable (very sharp checkering) I think I am going to add to my Glock collection instead of buying the XD. I want to get a .45 and a 9mm. I already have the .40s.

As far as the 9mm goes, would it be better to buy a 19 (compact) and 26 (subcompact) or just buy the 9mm barrel conversion kits for the .40? I may use it as a carry gun, so reliability is of my utmost concern. The advantage of the conversion kits is it is significantly cheaper than a whole new gun and I can get a .45 and a couple of 9mm barrels for the price of two guns. (Think rebate check).
    If it was me (and it ain't) I'd sell the .45 and .40 and buy a couple of 19's and a 26 and maybe a 34 if you just want something cool to play with.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    If it was me (and it ain't) I'd sell the .45 and .40 and buy a couple of 19's and a 26 and maybe a 34 if you just want something cool to play with.
    me too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    If I was going to carry it, I would skip the conversion barrel and go with the 19. The majority of people I have talked to with the conversion barrels say that they are great for the range but not 100% reliable for carry. I would also think twice about the sub compact 26. It is a great pistol but not much difference in concealing a 19 and 26. So get your 45 and your 19 take the extra money you just saved on the 26 and buy lots of ammo and enjoy yourself.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    If it were me (and it ain't) I'd sell the .45 and .40 and buy a couple of 19's and a 26 and maybe a 34 if you just want something cool to play with.
    No, actually, I am looking to expand my collection. I sort of like the .40 as a carry gun. Also thinking of the 9mm as a carry gun, but in researching it, the only advantage to the 9mm is one or two extra rounds in the clip...uh, er, magazine. For the one extra round, I would rather have the larger caliber since the gun is the same size.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_1 View Post
    I would also think twice about the sub compact 26. It is a great pistol but not much difference in concealing a 19 and 26. So get your 45 and your 19 take the extra money you just saved on the 26 and buy lots of ammo and enjoy yourself.
    Mike
    I have a 23 and a 27. The same as the 19 and 26 except in .40. For me, since I am a small guy and every millimeter counts, there is a huge difference in concealability. But as stated above, the only difference between the 26 and 27 is one round in the magazine. So maybe what I should do is buy the 19 and a conversion barrel for the 27 to practice with.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Yes i have a 27 with 9mm lone wolf barrel. Need to buy 9mm mags.. Barrel is $99 may be hard to find..
    Glock24&27, Bersa Thunder.380cc
    Colt 1903 Pocket .32
    S&W27
    S&W659
    Ruger Mark II Gov.Model
    Beretta Neo

Have a 23 with a Storm Lake conversion barrel to 9mm. It's been dead on reliable for me with both hollowpoints and fmj as long as I use the 9mm mags.

I do sometimes use the .40 mags during range work because they cause feeding problems, which I think is a good thing to train with.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

I believe there is a purpose for everything and for everything there is a purpose. Personally I don't see anything specifically wrong with conversions, just that my Glocks are specific. Is staying with the specifics more important or "better" than modifying your pistols to be economical? The day one ends up shooting that 9mm mag full of PD ammo through their G27 with the factory barrel installed accidentally---we'll be able to answer the question without a doubt. You can't say without a doubt it will never happen. Be safe whatever you do.

Ditch the .40s and get 9mms and .45s. I say that is what I would do, but it really isn't since I'm not a fan of .40. Never done much for me.

I wouldn't run conversions for a carry gun, but that's just me. I'm considering switching triggers in my G30 (secondary carry gun) and that alone has me kind of iffy.

ETA: As far as the 19 and 26 being the same as far as ease of concealment, I disagree. I carry the G19, but the 26 is quite a bit smaller as you know. I think the 26 is a bit easier to conceal. Again, just my opinion.

I had a G23 with a Storm Lake 9mm conversion barrel and G19 mags. I paid about $100 for it. Never gave me a bit of trouble at the range, which is the only place I used it. 9mm ammo at Wally World is about $19/100....40 ammo is about $27/100. Needless to say, a conversion barrel will quickly pay for itself if you shoot quite a bit.

There's little chance that you'll forget which barrel is installed, since Glock barrels are black, and every 9mm conversion barrel I've ever seen is stainless steel.

I've got 2 Glocks, a 30sf and a 21sf. I carry a G22 at work, but really don't care much for the .40 round. It's a good round, I just can't warm up to it. Although I love the .45, I would feel well armed with a G19. If you are going to carry occasionally, get a dedicated 9mm. To add a little variety to your collection, do what I plan to do: Get a G19 green glock!
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

I have a conversion barrel for my G35 and G27. I went with Storm Lake, but Lone Wolf makes a good one too. After seeing mine, several guys bought them for practice and we've never had a problem.

If you want it to be reliable you DO have to use 9mm mags.

There won't be a problem with confusing calibers as all of the conversion barrels are stainless. You can get them at TopGlock.com or Glockmeister.com if you prefer KKM.

HK Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

I had the same issues with my Glock 23c... should I buy a 19 or buy a conversion barrel and use it as a carry weapon. I did not want to have any issues with jams, FTF, or FTE because of an after market barrel. I purchased the 19 and later purchased a 26 because I love the Glock 9mm's - great gun, very reliable even shooting personal reloads. Glock makes some fantastic handguns.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

What'd you do to fix your uncomfortable checkering?

Quote Originally Posted by glock 27 View Post
    Yes i have a 27 with 9mm lone wolf barrel. Need to buy 9mm mags.. Barrel is $99 may be hard to find..

+1
    I done the same with my Glock 27!
    Freedom isn't free! Don't ever take it forgranted!

You also need to take in the price of ammo. The prices are high and probably going higher. 9mil is still much cheaper than 40 and 40 is cheaper than 45. Something to think about.
    GeorgiaCarry.Org Member
    NRA Member

Links