Compensators

Compensators

This is a discussion on Compensators within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What's the consensus on a compensated gun for self defense? I'm eying the compensated glocks for the wife....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compensators

Compensators

What's the consensus on a compensated gun for self defense? I'm eying the compensated glocks for the wife.

VIP Member
    In my opinion the compensation will only come into play during practice. Helping to control muzzle flip. In real world defensive situation the adreniline will have kicked in and I don't think she would even notice the recoil. Many times when reading of real world shootings, the person doesn't even remember shooting or how many shots they fired. In other words not something that a person really needs.

Is it a compensator added to the end of the muzzle, or is the existing barrel drilled/cut? And for self-defense, is this home or carry?

Either way, it'll make the gun bark louder, which can be a big issue if the gun is shot indoors, and it will likely also make a brighter flash, which will kill night vision.

In my inexperienced opinion, for self defense, it's a bad idea.

But, if it's all that you have, use it!

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    Is it a compensator added to the end of the muzzle, or is the existing barrel drilled/cut? And for self-defense, is this home or carry?

Either way, it'll make the gun bark louder, which can be a big issue if the gun is shot indoors, and it will likely also make a brighter flash, which will kill night vision.

In my inexperienced opinion, for self defense, it's a bad idea.

But, if it's all that you have, use it!

-JT
    +1 You nailed it

Speaking from experience, they most certainly do blind you in low light.

Bad idea.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    You could always try one of these. You don't need to make any modifications at all, you just replace the spring. I was going to get one for my wife, but I ended up getting her a P232 instead.

Sprinco USA -- Recoil Reducers

VIP Member

The concensus is likely no compensation

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett4x4 View Post
    What's the consensus on a compensated gun for self defense? I'm eying the compensated glocks for the wife.
    This comes up from time to time. Typically the responses are don't do it. A compensated gun isn't real good for close in firing from retention.

I had a .40 ported. In retrospect, I should have sold it and bough the same model gun in 9mm. Let your wife buy what she can comfortably handle, shoot accurately and rapidly. If that is a 9mm, 38 sp, or 380, so be it.

My feeling is this will most likely be for home defense rather than concealed carry. She'll have the permit, but I don't think she'll use it much. The glocks are ported right into the barrel and slide, nothing hanging off the end.

I hear you on the adrenaline thing, but the flip side is if it kicks less then she'll probably enjoy shooting it and practice with it more.

While I was shooting my newly acquired 642 at the indoor range, I did notice the flame (and heat), so I can imagine what a comp will do.

I figured I already knew the answer, but just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the replies fellas.

My wife has the Glock 23C and likes it a lot. It tames the "snappiness" of the .40. It is very easy to bring back on for the second shot. I have shot on the range and it is an easy shooter, but I would never carry it. However, it is HER gun and I got it for her as she is the one who must be obeyed.

Ed
    US Navy Retired Silent Service

The real test of a man is not when he plays the role he wants for himself, but when he plays the role destiny has for him.
    Vaclav Havel

Try shooting one (a compensated firearm) from retention, which is a more likely scenario...you'll be able to quickly form an opinion against using one...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If you shoot a ported or compensated pistol from a position where the weapon is held tight in front of abdomen "retention" you will find that muzzle gases and debris may strike your eyes,a compensated pistol should be fired with arms extended which in some self defense scenarios isn't practical,Find a calibre and weapon combo you can shoot effectively even if you have to rent or borrow a gun,some people at ranges may let you try their weapons if you supply you're own ammo.If somebody asks me about a weapon i'm shooting and tell me they are considering a purchase most of the time i will let them shoot a mag to see if they like it.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The specifics are important here. Are we discussing a Glock ported barrel 40SW or a 1911 in 45acp with a well designed compensator?
    Ported barrels like the Glock or like the Schuemann Hydrid barrels for the 1911 are impractical for carry, in my experience. High speed ejecta is directed over a large area proximate to the shooters face.
    A 45acp using an expansion chamber type comp attached to the barrel and utilizing forward sloping port or ports, is fairly benign with most retention positions.
    Here are a couple of pics illustrating the concept:

If a particular load will exhibit muzzle flash, it will do so equally from a compensated or non-compensated barrel. Ported barrels, not expansion chamber compensators, can redirect a portion of this flash to undesireable vectors. The compensators as shown above, actually may act to preserve night vision, as a portion of the flash is now redirected forwards and upwards, and does not attain full incandescence until several inches above the cone of sight. This is opposed to the full intensity circular flash occuring on a stock barrel, directly in the cone of vision.

This is a difficult subject, prone to heresay and imaginations. No, I am not recommending a compensator on a carry gun. But I do know professionals so equipped.

I used to think it might be a useful feature, but after having practiced firing from retention position, right next to my belly.... I do NOT want to try that with a ported gun.

--Travis--

More pics!!
    This is a recent variant. The lack of side ports was specified by the end user, who incidentally is a HSLD type. But no, this one will prolly never leave the square range.

If this thread lives a while, no doubt some will say the 45acp generates too little gas for effectiveness with any muzzle device.
    I'd suggest first asking them the extent of their experience with various designs.

I was referring to the ported barrels,I looked at one at a gun dealer friend of mine once and he told me i wouldn't like it then explained his experience with them and i bought a SA 1911-A1 SS 45acp
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I used to have a "comp'd Revolver for self defense duty and loved it.

However, others have brought up their downside, so I'm not going to go in to that. I recently considered having my GP100 ported, but decided against it for many of the reasons previously listed.

I think you would be better served to spend the time practicing to handle the recoil of your chosen weapon and carry load than to spend money on a Compensator. Where I do like Comps is in competition and hunting. My 629 has a Comp on it, and it's not coming off.

If one is already shooting at the "top of their game" with a gun and load a Compensator may help to give one an "edge" that would be unattainable without a Comp. Too many people, IMHO, use gadgets to fix a training problem that would be better fixed by proper training and practice.

Have your wife get some good instruction and maybe look in to changing the gun instead of buying a gadget to fix the problem. The money spent on a "gadget" could buy a lot of bullets for practice.

Just my $0.02.

Biker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links