Need a good revolver for my girl

This is a discussion on Need a good revolver for my girl within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want to get my girl into shooting more and I'm looking for a small, concealable, and light revolver that still packs a decent punch. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a good revolver for my girl

Need a good revolver for my girl

I want to get my girl into shooting more and I'm looking for a small, concealable, and light revolver that still packs a decent punch. What are some of my options?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Taurus model 85, either standard or ultra lite. 85 special. Loaded with +P will work as a decent defensive round.

Getting her into shooting and having a carry piece are two separate things. Either a good .22 or a full size 9mm would be a better choice for getting her used to shooting. A small carry revolver is great for carry because of the ease of use, and the light weight. But light weight means a harsh recoil.

This has been asked many times here (not that everyone is dating your g/f, but about A g/f...)...just get her interested in shooting, but let her pick out her own weapon...most will not be happy with someone else's choice...
    36+ years of marriage + voice of experience...but still, OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ditto on the recoil. A 16oz. ultralite will kick like the devil even with standard loaded ammo. If it's got to be a revolver go with a 24oz. all steel weapon. They can be fired without breaking the wrist. IMO a much better choice would be a 9mm semi auto. Kahr makes the CW9. It's light, thin and recoil is very manageable. BTW, 9mm JHP is much more effective than .38 special +P out of a two inch barrel.

VIP Member
    Let her look at the SP-101 .327 federal mag. There 4 cartridges
    to shoot in it. 2 no recoil & wimpy rnds, one more suited, and the .327 a hand full for some.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    This has been asked many times here (not that everyone is dating your g/f, but about A g/f...)...just get her interested in shooting, but let her pick out her own weapon...most will not be happy with someone else's choice...
    36+ years of marriage + voice of experience...but still, OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!
    I completely agree with this. Had my b/f picked out my gun for me I would not have been as comfortable as I am with the one I picked. He wanted a revolver for me, i did not want a revolver. The whole escape lasted about 2 months searching for the "perfect" gun for my hands. He kept trying to push me to the revolvers, but every time I picked one up, there was something I did not like. At the local gun store that I will visit (its an hour a way but IS women friendly) I finally found the perfect fit for my hands.

If I were you I would let her choose. Go to a few gun shows/stores and let her handle different guns. If you have a good gun store like mine than they will pretty much give the key away and let you go just handling anything she wants.

Just a side note my b/f hates my gun and cannot shoot it worth anything. But neither one of us cares what he can do with it. I am the one that carries it and I am the one that needs to feel comfortable with it. I am also the one that shoot it with no complaints (other than the middle of the target is missing.)

Taurus has alot of options , Rossi is decent for the price but Ruger SP101 is probally the best IMO also don't go with too light of a gun starting off the increased recoil might scare her into not wanting to shoot ???.....

I appreciate everyone's input. I guess I wasn't really trying to push a revolver, it just seemed like a more simple operation. From what I gather though, I just need to take her to the gun shop and let her try out a few different guns. I never really thought about lighter=more recoil (new guy myself).

VIP Member
    Morty, if there is a range nearby that rents firearms it would be good idea for both of you to try different firearms. Feeling them is one thing firing them is another. What feels perfect in the store may not feel good at all on the firing line. I speak from experience. We don't have any ranges close by that rent guns so my wife chose her gun by trial and error. She bought 5 guns before finally finding one that fits her to a T. She loves her Kahr CW9.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Yeah, as many have stated, let her decide. But a revolver won't jam at just the right time. And a .38 air weight (S&W) that you use hollow points with, has some stopping power I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    She loves her Kahr CW9.
    That's what I have and I love it.

Yep, listen to what Keely and Retsupt have posted here. Exactly what I would have said.

Please quit pushing revolvers on the ladies. Yes, by golly, we can handle moving parts! Heck, we operate washers and dryers every day!
    Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
    www.BuckeyeFirearms.org Buckeye Firearms Association Central OH Chair
    NRA Instructor/CCW Instructor/Realtor
    2009 NRA Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    Please quit pushing revolvers on the ladies. Yes, by golly, we can handle moving parts! Heck, we operate washers and dryers every day!
    +1

EW3
    I wouldn't get her a revolver. They have too much recoil, and the triggers are very stiff for someone just starting out, and you may end up turning them off guns.

Why not have her check out something like a polymer 9mm? I have a Springfield XD9 and IMO it would be a good starter piece. Also check out the S&W M&P9 or a Glock.

Like it was mentioned before, if you can find a place that rents guns, it would allow her to find what feels right for her.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links