Glock magazine release modification

This is a discussion on Glock magazine release modification within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; To me, the magazine release on the Glock is NOT part of their Glock perfection. It is at best klunky. I am looking for a ...

Thread: Glock magazine release modification

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Glock magazine release modification

To me, the magazine release on the Glock is NOT part of their Glock perfection. It is at best klunky.

I am looking for a better magazine release. I had the extended one on but it is too much. I have seen others, namely

http://www.vickerstactical.com/MagCa...MagRelease.htm

(This is my preferred one, but it is $16 where all the others are like $3. I will have 5 pistols. That gets kind of expensive.)

Topglock.com: Competition: Glock competition parts, magwells, scope mounts, extended controls

Lone Wolf Distributors - Product Detail

I was wonder what other do.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

I have two Glocks (three, once I get around to picking up the G26 I've been wanting). What I do when I want to try out a new part is get one for one of my guns. If I like it, I get one for the other gun as well; if not, it goes on Ebay.

I have put an extended mag release, extended slide lock lever, grip plug, 3.5 lb connector, and rubber grip sleeve on my G21; that's probably as far as I want to go with my carry gun. My G17 now has almost all of the same mods, save the connector and slide lock lever. Then, I'll have to start looking into night sights, but that's another story.

I would just buy one of the $16 mag releases, and try it out. If it's the one you want, then just pick up another one here and there until you have them on all your Glocks.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

any pro"s or con"s on extended release, had my 27 two yrs now
    no issuses, just curious.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

I currently have four Glocks. G17, G19, G22, and G27. Previous Glocks were G21 and G30. I know the G21 comes from the factory with the extended version of the mag catch (Glock factory). The $16 one you have pictured from LoneWolf looks exactly like the Glock extended mag catch which can be had for $2.95 here: MAGAZINE CATCHES - GLOCK PARTS - PARTS - Top Gun Supply
    I used to order all parts from Ajax but they apparently lost the Glock authorization for factory parts?
    For now, this is my go-to site for my Glock parts. I'm a Glock armorer in my own right--don't need a certification but wish I had one. The extended mag catch or OEM catch from the G21 will fit the 9mm, 40, and .357 one and all. Swapping the mag catch from one Glock pistol to another is so simple that I would only buy one and switch it out if necessary with any other I felt the need. Personally, the stock catch works well for me--it may be my methods? I only use the extended version for competition. If you need more than the stock, but the extended is too much, maybe you could shave it a little? If you buy one of those expensive ones, hopefully it will interchange with all of your Glock pistols, and you'll only really need one (and learn to change it out when needed). There is also the above mentioned option of trading on E-Bay, but you have a good customer base right here on the forum. If anyone would like to test run an extended mag catch on their 9mm, 40, or .357 Glock, just PM me and I could send you the part for trial. I have two and use one, so supplies are limited. In my opinion, for $2.95+shipping you can't go wrong and modifying it to fit your needs. Be warned---if you dremelize or melt the button of your mag catch, be sure the operating side will still fit back through the cutout in the grip. It only goes in one way.

XMP, the extended mag releases "look" decent and "feel better." But. At bad breath distance, if someone is gripping and pulling on your gun at the same time you are, it makes it MUCH more likely that one of you will have a single-shot when you come up. That might be a good thing, it might be a really bad thing.

IMO, the only one worth having is the AeroTek part that uses a mill cut. It sits farther to the rear, but does not protrude more from the frame. FWIW, I have tried and discarded two extended mag releases.

I've used them all, and I'm back to factory. In fact, I changed out the extended controls on my G35 to the standard one from a G22. Really, they get you nothing and expose you to the possibility of mucking up a good run (USPSA). If you're finding it hard to drop a mag, my advice is to practice more! ;)

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Had one in my Glock19. Seemed like it would release the mag everytime when I least needed it to.
    Glock 19/FEG/FM HiPowers/Keltec P32 for me. When I can't use my 870,N98 or Marlin .30-30 of course...

If I may point out, the LWD-1981R release pictured is not a drop in release. It requires frame modification in order to work. I have put the Aro-Tek version on my 45acp and 10mm frames. Because of the frame modification, they are not overly extended and are still easy to reach with your thumb.

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    I have tried every style of mag release you have listed here. Here is my 0.02

I didn't keep the longer rectangular mag release because it was uncomfortable to press even after rounding the edges and corners with a file, and I still had to rotate the grip in my hand to actuate it. It also stuck out too far for my taste, and I could see it really biting into my side with IWB carry, though at the time I never carried that way so I am only speculating on this last part.

I liked the concept of the TopGlock part, but the extension has a gap between it and the frame that kept catching stuff in it, like shirt material. I saw this as a liability during the draw, not to mention the possibility of getting debris stuck in between the parts that might disallow a mag change when it is really needed. It also stuck out farther than the rectangular release mentioned above.

I finally tried the LWD1981R and I am very pleased with it. It only sticks out as far as the original release, and it still wraps back around the grip allowing (at least for my hands) the ability to drop the mag without radically repositioning my grip on the pistol. Some folks are a little squeamish about altering Gaston Glock's "Masterpiece of Perfection" with a non-factory designed part, but this release is actually a copy of a factory Glock part that is only available in Europe on the Glock 17 Pro pistol. While it is also very similar to the Aerotek release, the polymer LWD model doesn't have the issue of the metal catch wearing the magazines out. I have found the frame modification to be absolutely worth while.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Ummm, do what I did. Take an extended one and cut it to the length you want. Shape it to your liking and presto you have one you like.

Jim

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    I have the Vickers on all of my G guns. Many of the guys on my job have them as well. They provide just enough extra (for me) to get the job done without all of the accidental release problems that plague some of the others.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Which Glock do you have? I saw someone take a mag release for a .45 cal Glock and put it in a G19. It basically gave an extended mag release. It felt ok, but I don't know how it does long-term (e.g., preventing accidental releases).

Personally, I have an extended release that required modifying the frame. I love it. I can reach it easily, but it has never accidentally released the mag. (Don't know what type it is - had it done for me)

I had an extended mag release on my G17 up until yesterday, when I accidentally dropped the magazine while sitting down in my car. As someone else in this thread posted, I'll just need to practice with the standard release.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

as others have mentioned, I wouldn't want an extended mag-release...if it's too easy to hit, you're liable to hit it when you don't want to.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Links