New Kahr CW9 - first day at the range

This is a discussion on New Kahr CW9 - first day at the range within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a Kahr CW9 back a few weeks ago. I'd been reading the reviews, somewhat concerned they seemed so mixed. But I loved the ...

Thread: New Kahr CW9 - first day at the range

I bought a Kahr CW9 back a few weeks ago. I'd been reading the reviews, somewhat concerned they seemed so mixed. But I loved the size and carry-ability of the gun, especially when you consider most similarly sized guns require you to step down to a .380. So I bought it.

I should have looked a little closer at the shop. When I got home and went to clean it, I notice what looked like chips in the finish at the muzzle. It was actually chrome lining from the barrel that had bled out onto the muzzle. My first thought was "mixed reviews, shouldn't have bought it." I called Kahr and they said to send the barrel back to them and they'd replace it. I did. Couple weeks go by and no barrel, so I called again. The guy said they had a problem with the chroming on a batch of barrels and they were waiting for a new batch. A week later, FedEx delivered a new barrel.

I dropped it in and managed to get to the range yesterday for the first time. I was ready for bang, jam, bang, jam, etc. based on some reviews in the first couple hundred round break-in for this gun. With boxes of WWB 115gr hardball on the bench, I loaded the mag, brought up the gun and pulled the trigger. Bang. Pulled the trigger again, Bang. For the next hundred rounds that's how it went. Handed it off to my 16 year-old son, same results. Then a failure. I stepped up to him and right away he looked at me and said, "That was my fault. I could tell I limp wristed that one. Went back to bang, bang, bang shooting.

Then I loaded up a magazine of my preferred carry ammo, Fed 147 gr HST. Ran the full mag as fast as I could pull the trigger. Seven rounds gone in a couple seconds, no hiccups. Loaded another mag to see how the gun would group this ammo. Seven rounds in a two inch group at 7 yards.

I may have gotten off to a rough start with Kahr and this gun. But Kahr made it right and after seeing the range work, I'm a VERY happy guy with this purchase. I've been carrying a Glock 17 concealed. They say we're supposed to get warmer weather eventually here in Minnesota. When we do, this CW9 will be with me under light clothing.

Count me among the satisfied Kahr owners out there.

nice review. Just out curiosity, how would you compare the recoil of your new Kahr to your G17? Was it what one might expect, i.e., snappy? was target acquisition between shots ever an issue?

At first it's very snappy, but after 300 rounds the recoil spring really seems to loosen up a tad, as does the rest of the gun. I've shot the glock 19, sig 229 in .40 and the XD9. And as a relatively new shooter I would call the recoil on the CW9 manageable for even small hands.

As for the jamming issues, I've only had 2 failure to ejects during the first 75 rounds. My CW9 has be flawless ever since, and it will feed anything. Congrats on the purchase, it's my favorite gun!
    Heavily armed.
    Collection: Kahr CW9, M&P 15-22, Walther P22, Glock 19.
    Sold: XD9 4'', Kimber 1911 Series II compact, FNP-9
    Shopping list: Springfield EMP 9mm, M&P 15 .223

Quote Originally Posted by stu837 View Post
    nice review. Just out curiosity, how would you compare the recoil of your new Kahr to your G17? Was it what one might expect, i.e., snappy? was target acquisition between shots ever an issue?
    There's a little more snap to it, being a smaller package. But it's what I expected and completely manageable. Target acquisition was never a problem. A good solid stance and shooting technique go a long way in controlling small gun recoil & flip.

As compared to the G17, you definitely notice the difference, but you know it's there going into it. I found the CW9 much easier than a .357 snubbie or a 3" .45.

Awsome. Congrats!

Wht
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by rico68 View Post
    I called Kahr and they said to send the barrel back to them and they'd replace it.
    Who paid shipping? I'm considering a PM9, and have been curious about how Kahr handles that.

Quote Originally Posted by DistantHorizon View Post
    Who paid shipping? I'm considering a PM9, and have been curious about how Kahr handles that.
    I paid shipping to Kahr. It was only a barrel, through the US Post Office, priority mail it was $4.60 and .65 for the tracking. I could have sent it regular first class in a padded envelope for about $1.50.

Kahr paid the FedEx back to me.

I'll probably pick up my new CW9 on Sunday. Now I'll have 2 new guns (LCP) to take to the range!

Links