Pocket Auto problem . . . =)

This is a discussion on Pocket Auto problem . . . =) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've got a problem. I've wanted a smaller gun for eons now it seems. I have a Glock 19 and a S&W M10 2", both ...

Thread: Pocket Auto problem . . . =)

Pocket Auto problem . . . =)

I've got a problem.

I've wanted a smaller gun for eons now it seems. I have a Glock 19 and a S&W M10 2", both great guns outright but a little large for some days. So I've narrowed it down to either a new LCP or a NAA .380.

Heres the kicker. I have a tendency to limp wrist small autos. I broke both wrists a few years ago falling down a mountain, and in purchasing a smaller auto, Im worried about constant limp-wristing. I consider my 9mm glock and my .38 smith to be just about tolerable for accurate shooting with +p defensive ammo. I figure a relatively "powerful" round in a small package is going to be snappier.

I've been perusing the pocket autos, and I really like the looks of the NAA .380. I dont think I'll mind the weight -- as it could be in a small belt holster and will only spend a few times in pockets. Heck, my dad pockets his Bersa .380 all the time (24+oz.) so I think a Guardian fully loaded (20-21 oz) will be fine.

Can anybody give me their opinions on the reliability/quality of the NAA .380? Also could you give me your subjective opinions on recoil in that versus a LCP/Kel-tec .380 (with its lighter frame=much snappier recoil?).

Thanks . . .
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

2. Remove Ads

With your condition... stick with the 38.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Given that your life may depend on it, I'd simply stay with a small revolver.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

If I had wrist problems, I wouldn't shoot the Kel-Tec. So, probably the same with the others.

I find the Kel-Tec painful to shoot. I have two 9mm's and both have less perceived recoil. I've never shot an NAA so can't advise you there. You might consider a Kel-Tec P32, but you would of course be giving up some stopping power.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Is there a possibility of trying out either one before you buy? If not, and you know that limp wristing is a potential issue, I'd be hesitant until I could fire the said pistol. I know with my local dealer if you buy somthing from him and it don't work out bring it back no questions asked and he'll find you somthing different. I realize that's not super common but you could explain your situation and see what happens. Also pocket autos seem to be currently in fairly high demand. If it dosen't work out, sell it. Either way I'd go for the NAA as recoil from a 20+ oz gun will be far less than from a 8-9 oz one like the LCP. I've shot a P3AT and it's snappier than you'd think.
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

I view the recoil of the P3AT and LCP a little differently than other posters here. Their recoil does not seem to progress into the wrist/forearm/elbow as some firearms do but the harshness seems concentrated into the palm. I think this is due to two factors. The light weight of the gun and the narrow width of the grip area. I don't have your wrist problems, so I can't say for sure that they wouldn't bother you but I know that my palm is what takes a beating when I'm shooting them. Your best bet would be to try and find someone who has one so you could try it out.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I too broke my right wrist in an automobile accident and like you also limit my shooting to 9mm +P as the upper limit due to arthritis settling in and causing pain. I have also owned a Kel Tec P3AT and had no problems shooting this little bugger. In fact I am replacing it with a Ruger LCP .380. You should not have any problems shooting either one of those.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC4 View Post
    Given that your life may depend on it, I'd simply stay with a small revolver.
    +1.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

The P-3AT is a locked breach design, the NAA Gaurdians use a blowback action that produces much more felt recoil.

I have the LCP, and I do find it a little "snappy" in the wrist. You might want to consider the CZ-75 PCR Compact 9mm. It's a little larger, but I do sometimes carry that too, and IMHO the (perceived) recoil is not a problem at all.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Links