Range Report - Bersa Thunder 380

This is a discussion on Range Report - Bersa Thunder 380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; RANGE REPORT Bersa Thunder 380 Duo Tone I took the Bersa out for the first time tonight after work for a little shoot. Here's how ...

Thread: Range Report - Bersa Thunder 380

Thumbs up Range Report - Bersa Thunder 380

RANGE REPORT

Bersa Thunder 380 Duo Tone

I took the Bersa out for the first time tonight after work for a little shoot. Here's how it turned out:

Total rounds fired: 63

Combination of Remington UMC and Georgia Arms FMJ reloads.

All shots were at 10 yards. The Remington ammo was definitely more consistent than the Georgia Arms. I was also more accurate with the Remington. I was getting some decent groups, but I was consistently pulling to the left a bit (I shoot lefty). I did adjust the rear sight windage, which helped a bit.

The little gun is very comfortable to shoot. I did slow fire and some rapid fire. I'm glad I went with the standard size Thunder over the Concealed Carry model. My hand fits comfortably on the grip and the pinky extension is adequate. The single action pull is fair. It has a little travel but nothing I would find that needs adjusting. Double action was very nice. I didn't have a measure, but I will say that it wasn't too hard of a pull at all.

Recoil is much snappier than I originally thought, but not unmanageable. Probably due to the fixed barrel. Other locked breech pistols that I've fired seemed to have more of a “thud” recoil versus the “snap” I felt with the Bersa. It did not sting my hand like some polymer framed pistols did. The Bersa has a very solid feel.

In 63 rounds, I had one FTE. It was the next to last full magazine, and it was the first round in the magazine that wouldn't fully eject. The round was a Georgia Arms. Given that it was the first round of the mag, I'm discounting it being an issue with the magazine itself (which was very tight) and I would like to think it was an underpowered round.

All in all I'm very happy with my new Bersa. I'm looking forward to trying other brands of ammo with it and getting used to the overall feel of a semi-auto. Assuming it exhibits good reliability, I can see this being a nice carry weapon.

Any feedback would be welcome.
    Keep emotionally active. Cater to your favorite neurosis.

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for the range report! I am planning to purchase this pistol...and your info. helps reaffirm the choice!
    If you own a handgun and your state law allows it, please carry.

Congrats Cakewalk on the Bersa. Share your experience with the folks at bersatalk.com
    I have an older model 383, wood grips. Very smooth, accurate and a pleasure to shoot.
    Wish Bersa made a 9mm on that frame....... or just a single stack 9.
    Enjoy the gun. Hope you only have to use it to make holes in paper.

mine loves the winchester white box ammo from wally world. glad you like it!

Thanks for sharing your report.

My Thunder Plus hasn't had a problem with any ammo I've put through it, winchester, federal , pnc, etc. I found it to be a very reliable firearm, easy to handle and comfortable for CC.

my dad just bought (another) one. I'll try to give it a range report when we fire it this weekend.
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

The Bersa .380s are the best pistols for the money in that caliber going today. They are even more reliable than pistols costing two to three times their price. I have heard a lot of good things about them and know of a lot of people who have them and have gotten good service out of their pistol.

Congrats! I have the Thunder 9 UC Stainless and love it... Have put 850 rounds through it without any FTE/FTF. My sons mother purchased the 380 SS last month. She has put 200 rounds through it. She had two FTE's with in her first 50 rounds but did not experience any others in the following 150 rounds.

Congrats !!

I've had mine since last September and I love it. Definitely check out :: Bersa Talk :: as mentioned, there's a ton of good info on all flavors of Bersa, great folks, and a lot of fun to boot. My next purchase will probably be the Thunder 9 UltraCompact.
    Freedom ... must be fought for, protected, and handed on ... or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -- Ronald Reagan, 1967

Me and my brother just took his new bersa out last weekend. - His is the CC version though.. Which I personally like a bit more, but I can see it either way.

We had the following ammo
    Federal hydrashocks
    Corbon DPX
    Winchester SXT
    Speer gold Dot
    and the generic ball ammo our range sells.

The only problem we had was that after 100 rounds of various ammo, it would not feed the last round from the magazine if it was a Gold Dot or DPX (the 2 with the widest central cavity).

Since it was the first time at a range for the gun, and we've heard from several sources that bersa's DO need to be broken in.. We're expecting everything to be uneventful next time out.

Incidentally, the Gold Dots were far and away the strongest recoil. With the hydrashocks (which are, as it turns out, actually labeled "reduced recoil") being the lightest.

The best group of the day was a 1.75 inch'er that I put out @ 10 yards. That's a full mag (8 rounds). It was with the gold dots.
    Heisenberg may have slept here

Bersa Thunder .380 is a good choice. Carry mine IWB and have complete trust in it. I may buy a
    Bersa Thunder Pro 9mm HC also, 17 round 9mm, all metal gun, it gets great reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by bluecanary25 View Post
    Congrats Cakewalk on the Bersa. Share your experience with the folks at bersatalk.com
    I have an older model 383, wood grips. Very smooth, accurate and a pleasure to shoot.
    Wish Bersa made a 9mm on that frame....... or just a single stack 9.
    Enjoy the gun. Hope you only have to use it to make holes in paper.
    Bersa now does have a single stack 9mm the bp9cc. Check out there website. I handles one in the gun shop and it might be my next purchase I now have the thunder 380 and its a great little gun.

Links