NAA Guardian, Seecamp or Rohrbaugh R9?

This is a discussion on NAA Guardian, Seecamp or Rohrbaugh R9? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I've just come into some extra funds and I'm debating an ultra concealable pocket gun. I don't really care for the Kel-tecs and I've ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NAA Guardian, Seecamp or Rohrbaugh R9?

NAA Guardian, Seecamp or Rohrbaugh R9?

Well, I've just come into some extra funds and I'm debating an ultra concealable pocket gun. I don't really care for the Kel-tecs and I've already got a S&W 642 and Walther PPK so I've narrowed my choices down to one of these three.

How does the trigger pull compare between these three models and how's the recoil of each? I know the NAA would be the cheapest but it's also heavier than the Seecamp (looking at both in .380).

Is the Rohrbaugh's recoil much worse than the other two I'm considering? I don't have a problem shooting my 642 with +P (on a limited basis) so if it's somewhat comparable to that than its still a contender, if it's much worse than I'll probably stick with one of the others in .380.

While I wouldn't intentionally shoot +P loads out of any of these three guns, would Cor-Bon DPX or Double Tap be safe? They seem like fairly hot stuff compared to WWB and similar loads. Any other ammo recommendations for these particular guns?

Thanks for any input folks, I hope to be placing an order within the next week or so if all goes well (after I get my 870 and M&P15 out of layaway). After that I'll probably be forced to put the gun buying on hold for a while, you married folks know what I mean!
    Jack

2. Remove Ads

The Rohrbaugh trigger is a work of art - that's one of the things that sold me on the gun.

You can't shoot +P in the R9, so if hot ammo is a must have that eliminates the Rohrbaugh.

As for recoil, the Rohrbaugh is snappy, but not punishing. The R9 isn't a range gun, so you're not going to put 100 consecutive rounds through it per session.

Also, be aware of some Rohrbaugh "peculiarities": the recoil spring needs to be changed every 100 rounds (no big deal, they're $4 each) and the R9 only likes certain types of ammo. Winchester white box seems to be OK for most, but UMC is no good (hard primers). For carry ammo, Gold Dot Hollow Point seems to work just fine.

Even with all the above caveats, I love my R9 and would buy another in a heartbeat. I carry the R9 more often than any other gun, since it just disappears in a pocket holster.

The Seecamp .32 and .380 are real works of art. Saying that, you are going to pay for those works of art (and a year waiting list for the .380).

The NAA .32 and .380 are nice pistols, but heavier (the .380 much heavier) than their Kel-Tec or Seecamp counterparts. Either would be my choice (I like stainless steel, hefty guns)

I have no experience with the R9, but it seems to me to be too much caliber for the size of the gun.
    ďLaws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    "...I'm debating an ultra concealable pocket gun."
    The most concealable of the three , measured by size and weight, is the Seecamp. I would weigh that consideration against the Rohrbaugh's increased lethality. I'd only consider the NAA if price were a factor, due to it's size and weight disadvantage relating to the other two guns.

My personal pick, in order, would be Seecamp, then Rohrbaugh then NAA, because size and reliability are the prime factors IMO when choosing a pocket pistol.

Ultra = Seecamp.

Sounds good guys, pretty much what I was already thinking - Seecamp and Rohrbaugh in the lead with an advantage to the R9 being faster availability. Then the NAA in third place.

Thanks folks, anyone else?
    Jack

Since you have a Walther PPK, I know that you are comfortable with the .380 caliber. The .380 Seecamp will be in the $800.00 range if you can find one. The Rohrbaugh 9mm will be over the $1,000.00 mark and is not exactly an easy find either to tell the truth. The NAA Guardian .380 is more readily available (at times) and is less expensive than the other two already mentioned. This one normally can be had for around $400.00 (your mileage may vary). The NAA Guardian .380 would be my choice of the three you mentioned. However, there are two other choices for a high quality pocket pistol. Kahr has the PM9 9mm and the soon to introduced P380 in .380 of course, that should be considered here also if money is not a problem. Both of those should be in the $550.00 to $700.00 range. And yes being married for almost 25 years I do know what you mean! P.S. a lot of folks on here own the PM9 and seem to be really happy with it.

The NAA Guardian .380 is more readily available (at times)...
    Even the Guardians have been very hard to locate and very few current production pistols have been reported. Most are Kahr frame holdovers. A company, Latva, now supplies the Guardian frames, but not in large numbers even yet. It may be easier to find a Rohrbaugh or Seecamp than a Guardian these days.

Precision Machining | CNC Maching Turning Milling | ISO Certified MA NH VT CT RI

I like the PM9 for front pocket carry and a .32 Seecamp for back pocket.
    Freedom of speech does not excuse one from freedom of thought.

I would say you are right ripley16, I have not seen a NAA Guardian in quite a while.

There's actually two Guardians at my local shop, or at least there was last time I was in there. They had both a .32 and .380. I may go that route eventually but there's just something intangible about getting one of the legendary Seecamps. Now figure the same, or similar, sized package in the Rohrbaugh 9mm and you see my dilemma.
    Jack

I have a Seecamp .32 and I love it. Very light and reliable. Mine took a four month wait. $425.00 from Seecamp and $25.00 from my local dealer for the transfer. I've seen used ones for more than that. Oh yeah mine has a personalized serial number for another $35.00.

Whatís wrong with the Kel-Tec. So far Iíve had no problems with mine and itís smaller and shoots fairly well. And it likes Ranger T ammo.

A few weeks ago while camping my neighbor was a deputy sheriff and his department gave the full time officers the little Kel-Tec for an off duty weapons.

He and every one else that is carrying it had to qualify and he said it was easy, with the little pistol.

Looking at reviews of the Seecamp, and other pocket pistols have there fare share of problems, if you do some range time with them.

And I am sure that after 400 plus rounds my little Kel-Tec will too, so Iíll send it back to Kel-Tec for a free repair.

You better pull the trigger on a Seecamp before you buy one.
    I had to sell my 380. I am 53 years old with a little arthritis and it tore my trigger finger up, caused a bone spur just behind the first knuckle, could no longer shoot it because the trigger guard would kill my finger, nice pistol but not for me.
    I also have the Rohrbaugh R-9 Stealth and it is much more comfy to shoot, it is my warm weather carry.

Here's my two cents worth:
    R-9 - $$$$Big Bucks and a VERY small frame to shoot the 9mm - "snappy" recoil is an understatement, picky on ammo, otherwise a beautifully made weapon.
    Seecamp - Kinda $$$big bucks for the 380, again the light weight results in a brisk recoil, picky on ammo, weird mag release location, long wait, great customer service, otherwise gorgeous construction and quality
    NAA Guardian - Medium $$bucks, hard to find in either caliber, made from stainless steel resulting in comfortable recoil but a bit heavier in pocket, very easy to disassemble and clean, excellent quality and customer service
    Ruger LCP - Small $bucks, unproven reliability but it's a Ruger - buy one if you can find one.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by benderx4; May 1st, 2008 at 01:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by benderx4 View Post
    Here's my two cents worth:
    Seecamp - ...weird slide release location,
    What do you mean by "weird slide release location"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links