Carry size evolution

Carry size evolution

This is a discussion on Carry size evolution within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From the first gun you bought specifically for CCW, to what you have purchased after that, do you find your trend is to up size, ...

View Poll Results: Is the size of your weapon purchases changing?

Voters
243. You may not vote on this poll
  • Up sizing-buying larger carry weapons

32 13.17%
  • Downsizing-buying subcompact or pocket carry size

108 44.44%
  • No change-staying about the same size

65 26.75%
  • Size makes no difference in purchases

38 15.64%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carry size evolution

Distinguished Member

Carry size evolution

From the first gun you bought specifically for CCW, to what you have purchased after that, do you find your trend is to up size, downsize, stay about the same, or size is not a deciding issue.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

I've been in the 357 Magnum/38 Spl mode for many years. I favor revolvers with 4" barrels for all around use including concealed carry. I'm an old buzzard and not likely to change at this stage of the game.

The size of the purchases had gone down, but early on I bought my full size 1911, and its still my primary carry, the others are just for rare times I can carry it.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Started out with an H&K USP 9 full size. That was too big to carry. Got a H&K P2000. I got a Sig Tac jacket for winter and it holds both guns well.

For the P2000, I have:
    • a Blackhawk SERPA OWB at 3:00, which, with a dungaree jacket, conceals just fine.
    • a Bianchi Black Widow that I wear at 4:00 covered by loose fitting flannel or sweat shirts.
    • a TT Gunleathers MS VMII IWB copy that I wear at 4:00 w/loose, large, dark t-shirts or polo shirts and also with suits or sportcoats.

All these combos do a good job.

Back on topic, I going to get an H&K P7M8, smaller still, but very accurate and even more concealable.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Staying about the same for me. I almost went with downsizing, but I couldn't very well do that as my most recent acquisitions were a SIG P220 and a G19. Next up on the want (need) list is the PT1911 for full size, then I'm leaning toward a G23 compact since my G19 seems to have become a favorite size for me. Full size, compact size, sub-compact size--I'll carry them all under certain conditions. It appears though that my 45 options will remain on the full size side of things balancing things out on the average.

This is a great poll question. I answered makes no difference... although it does. In my case I buy for a specific purpose. Every gun I have bought has a specific purpose, they are tools that I use to accomplish goals. So sometimes I buy big, sometimes small, depending on my goal.

At our Dojo we say that students start soft, become hard, and revert to soft as they master Karate. At first they become really strong because they have to in order to keep up, then they master the technique and they accomplish the same goals with less effort (and therefor less muscle) - a return to being soft.

Prior to considering guns as a tool, I went through this cycle myself. My first gun was a small bersa because I couldn't imagine hiding anything bigger. Then I progressed to a double stack 1911... now I'm OK with a small revolver, the old bersa, my Kahr, whatever. As long as I know I can shoot straight with it.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I voted- No change-staying about the same size

I started with a Glock 17 then went to a full size1911. I plan on sticking with full size service pistols for CCW.

I would put my Kimbers and Glock-36 in the same size category...although one of my first pistol purchases was a full size Beretta...never carried it...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have a variety of sizes. Variety is the spice of life!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

The only "small" handgun I have ever bought is my Taurus 85 and I almost never (like once or twice a year) carry it.

I'd much rather put up with a small amount of discomfort if it means having a real gun than being "comfortable" and carrying something that's harder to shoot well, has a lower capacity, and is less reliable.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Staying the same for me.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

I don't carry a lot of different guns. A K9 and a little Seecamp. Having said that, my next purchase will be a 4" 1911 that will join the rotation.

I really want a Wilson cqb compact. I'm in the negotiation stage now with the household director of finance. It may take awhile....

I purchase by caliber so I don't end up having to store extra food for the babies.

9mm - I got two (original I.M.I. Jehricos from the "Holy Land") carry one, one still never been fired.....looking for an AMT 9mm backup because it will fit (and conceal well) in the same holster as my AMT .45 does (anyone?)

45s - I have 2.... My COLT keeps the gun safe.....safe, my AMT back-up rides everywhere like a faithful dogg

The rest of the "kids" stay locked up and are more of the "I always wanted one" ....I only carry what I qualify (and what fits with my clothes that day)...the rest are lookers

Since I purchased a Glock 26 and I used to own a Glock 23, I voted downsizing. With the smaller Glock I felt I could conceal it easier and that the 9mm would be easier to control in the subcompact gun.

I'm changing jobs here at the end of summer and my new one will require extremely discreet carry so I'm going smaller. I suppose I'll still strap on my Sig when I get in the truck to go home though.
    "You gonna do something about it or just stand there and bleed?" -Wyatt Earp

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links