New toy

This is a discussion on New toy within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all. I am thinking of buying myself a new toy. I want to get a .45auto. I just went onto the Kimber website and ...

Thread: New toy

New toy

Hello all. I am thinking of buying myself a new toy. I want to get a .45auto. I just went onto the Kimber website and looked around. Now I happen to like their guns but do not like their prices. Is there any other manufacturer out there that produces a 45 caliber that looks similar to kimber?
    One more step and it's on!

2. Remove Ads

Springfield makes some pretty darn nice 1911s, I just picked up a Mil-Spec (and love it) which is one of their lower-end models, you'd want to check out some of the higher end ones such as:

Springfield Armory Operator

Springfield Armory Loaded

These can be had for significantly less than a Kimber. Springfield has a great reputation, too - but not Kimber's nostalgia and cult following, heh.

You also may want to consider picking up a Mil-Spec and then adding the bells and whistles as you go, as I'm doing.

Best of luck in your search.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

The website is not the going price. If your dealer is charging suggested retail, it's time to find a new one. If you only want something that LOOKS like a Kimber, check out the cheap Philippino guns or the Brazilian Taurus.

If you try the old "buy a cheap gun and add the stuff to it", you'll end up spending more and still have a cheap gun with added parts.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Pete is right the Springfield 1911's are really nice. I say go for a Loaded version and enjoy the heck out of it.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Have you read the reviews on the PT1911? That will be my next "toy". The features, the accolades, the price. Can't go wrong IMO.

A friend of mine really likes Para Ordnance. Bud's has some good prices on a few of their models: Para Pistol Deals

I think the PX745s looks pretty nice.

Thanks for the replies guys. Gonna do a little research. But first I am going to buy me a brand new m-tack iwb holster for my glock 19. WooHoo

update

the springfield loaded and the para carry 12 look real nice
    One more step and it's on!

I have heard good things about Smith and Wesson's 1911s, an dhave shot several of my buddies multiple Springfields. They are very nice also.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    I have heard good things about Smith and Wesson's 1911s, an dhave shot several of my buddies multiple Springfields. They are very nice also.
    I've heard a lot of good reviews on the S&W 1911's also but, personally, I couldn't buy one with an external extractor. They're also kind of pricey for what you get.

If you have money to throw around, I say go straight for the Wilson Combat / Nighthawk Custom / etc...

If on a budget, the Springfield pistols sure seem to be a great compromise - they're pretty high quality (even if they do lack some of the features of high-end 1911s) and don't cost an arm, leg, or firstborn.
    I'd be hesitant to get a Norinco or RIAA "knockoff", but many have had good luck with them.

Just my two cents.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Have you read the reviews on the PT1911? That will be my next "toy". The features, the accolades, the price. Can't go wrong IMO.

Plus 1 on the PT1911....around 600 bucks.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    GunBroker.com guns: New Kimber Custom II 45 ACP No Credit Card Fee (item: 98401801 ends: May-01-08 06:21:46 PM)

Even the 'entry' level Kimbers are shooters. They are real tight. Springfields....okay. But for around $650-$700 you can get the Target II. It's a shooter.....

The gun listed isn't mine.....but I thought it would give you an idea.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Links