Argh!!! My 1911 is STILL giving me problems - Page 2

Argh!!! My 1911 is STILL giving me problems

This is a discussion on Argh!!! My 1911 is STILL giving me problems within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have tried quite a few different mags in my SA Mil-Spec and have found that the original SA mags work the best, YMMV...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Argh!!! My 1911 is STILL giving me problems

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    I have tried quite a few different mags in my SA Mil-Spec and have found that the original SA mags work the best, YMMV

It sounds like a magazine problem, most likely too weak of a spring in it, especially if it happens on the last or next to last rounds...
    Only buy good high quality magazines and keep them clean.
    Clarence
    Bullseye 2568-83x
    Distinguished Revolver #99
    E.I.C. 30pts.(need a hard leg)
    10z n Xs

Range Report:

I got myself a Wilson mag, and a boxes of Blazer ammo, then went to the range.
    At first the last round wasn't seating into the battery. I only needed to push a little on the back of the slide to get it to feed. I think its just break-in issues? The last 4 mags fed smoothly for the most part! Except on the 2nd to last mag, where it had the same seating issue as how I described earlier in this thread. I still assume its just break-in "burps"?
    Hopefully this gun is now fixed. Now I just have to finish breaking her in, then try HP ammo (Ill just get a ramp job done if it doesn't like HP rounds as is), then finally night sights.
    Thanks to all of you that helped me with this gun!
    Last edited by gregarat; October 21st, 2005 at 08:01 AM.

FTF problems.

I've owned a couple SAs in the past and I've noticed they tend to be a smidge tighter in slide to frame fit than my Colts were - definitely could simply be a break-in issue.

On the FTF issues: I'd suggest replacing your mag springs before deciding to trash the factory mag. I've had really good luck with Wolff's "+10" springs so it's all I use. A lot of folks prefer Wilson mags in 7 or 8 round config., I've never had problems with them but I prefer McCormick's 8 round Shooting Stars - although I'm planning on trying out their Powermags in the near future as they've gotten favorable reports. All of those are available through Brownell's.

With the mag drop issues: It sounds silly but have you tried loosening the grip screws just a touch? I once replaced the grips on a 9mm and when I overtightened the screws, the mags had to be yanked free just as you're describing... sort of a "duh!" moment on my part.

Don't get discouraged, just think of it as a challenge.
    Jack

P.S. I forgot to mention, when I was having trouble with FTF on a new SA Champion I found that wiping down the feedramp with a solvent dampened patch really helped keep things working. Don't fieldstrip or anything, just drop the mag, lock the slide back and reach in through the chamber opening. It might at least give you something else to try.
    Last edited by maclean3; October 21st, 2005 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention...

Rocky -1911's are great. Please, try one, I'm suyre you'll see.

Gregart- I've also got the Springfield GI model. I've got the same problem of having to pull mags out when I use my McCormic 8rd magazine. Otherwise it feeds and works flawlessly. And to be honest that magazine is the most finnicky (it refuses to feed hollowpoints reliablely). Try some other magazines and make sure your gun is well lubed, and then please, tell us what happened.

Best of luck.

A1C Lickey

definitely could simply be a break-in issue.
    Lets say fore argument sake that it isn't a break-in issue.
    What would be something I could do to fix it? Polish the ramp? Would a 18.5 Wolff recoil spring help, or hurt? What else?

I do plan on shooting 100rds of Winchester white box, before I do much of anything.

i wouoldnt change the spring yet unless it is a light spring liek what came in my latest 1911 it was a 14#er need to be 16# so might wanna check that

i would liek to see picks of the ramp first and it could be a extractor problem also

ask and ye shall receive...
    Attached Images

Is a little rough but dont think its that bad course being there is different i suppose

Course clean it lube it real well before you shoot it next time and take digital camera to range if it jams get a pic im not sure if what you are having is Stem bind or something else pics would help

Polishing the feedramp is an option of course but I get really hesitant when I hear of people taking a Dremel to a 1911 - a bit too much and . The extractor could also be the culprit in the FTF/FTE. Having it properly tuned would help (although it seems you said your 'smith did that already?) or maybe switching to a Wilson's "bulletproof"or The Cylinder and Slide Shop since they use spring steel like the original specs call for.

I don't see how those problems would cause the trouble with the mag sticking though. There's got to be a connection somewhere but I'm just not sure what it is. Extractor, ejector, loose plunger tube, magazines? I always try the cheapest route first: Wolff +10 mag springs might solve your feed issues and have enough "oomph" to click the mag out as well. I'd follow Bud's advice on the recoil spring weights.

Hammer bite is something I'm willing to "live with" on a defensive weapon, reliability issues and hanging magazines aren't. Either one will cost precious time when you can least afford it.
    Jack

Jack,
    Im no longer having issues with the mag, not dropping, since I got the Wilson mag. The only problem Im having now is with the final round not seating into the battery(see my last "range report" above). The ftf issue (as seen in my last post) is resolved, just by slightly pushing the rear of the slide. Which seats the round into the chamber. That issue was getting better around half way through the box of ammo.

Getting a stronger mag spring makes sense ,for fixing my last round ftf that I'm currently having. My gunsmith is working tomorrow, and he did warranty his work. Thank god, I dont get hammer bite.
    Last edited by gregarat; October 22nd, 2005 at 12:20 PM.

There are two rates on any spring, and a weak 'closed' rate can cause a problem, but normally it is worse with a full magazine due to friction.

Get a 7 round Mec Gar magazine, and try it.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

3rd RANGE REPORT:

Today I fired 100 rds of Winchester white box (300rds in total through gun), with Wilson 47d mag. The second mag had the same issue with the round not going into battery, but a light press on the rear of the slide seated it. Also with the seventh mag, but it seated itself before I got a chance to press the rear of the slide. The 10th mag's second shot had a ftf, where the extractor didn't grab the rim, the 10th mags final round didn't go into the battery, but a press of the rear of the slide seated it.
    At the pistol range there were several guys who knew 1911 well. They all agreed that the extractor is still abit tight, but it would loosen up while breaking the gun in. They advised me not to adjust the extractor, because it would be to loose, when the gun is broken in fully. All of the casings that extracted, shot over my head and behind me. Not many dented. There is a mark on the lip of the slide, probably from the casings.
    So basically, the issue is the fact that the gun is tight and isn't yet broken in. If the extractor gives me problems after a couple hundred more rounds, I will take it back to the smith, that guaranteed his work.
    Below are the pics from the mark on the slide, the round that the extractor failed to grab(or, it could be a pic from the seating problem. I had one blurred pic on my camera), and a round that didnt seat w/o a push from the slide.

Again, thank you all.
    Attached Images

This issue of the last round not going smoothly into battery. Maybe it's a rough spot on the slide rails? Think about having them polished with FLITZ. Or better yet, get a ROBAR NP3 finish done on the interior and a ROGARD exterior. The NP3 will peel off molecules as the two surfaces bear against each other. In effect this will make the gun self lubricating. Clean up is a simple wipedown. I did this to my M1A as the final touch and the action is butter smooth now.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links