Argh!!! My 1911 is STILL giving me problems

Argh!!! My 1911 is STILL giving me problems

This is a discussion on Argh!!! My 1911 is STILL giving me problems within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got my 1911 back yesterday. When I first went to the range a month ago. The last two rounds would only feed halfway ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Argh!!! My 1911 is STILL giving me problems

Angry Argh!!! My 1911 is STILL giving me problems

I just got my 1911 back yesterday.
    When I first went to the range a month ago. The last two rounds would only feed halfway into the chamber. I sent it to a gunsmith to get the tension on my extractor adjusted. I received it yesterday. The smith tuned the extractor, and polished the chamber. He told me that he fired two clips with 2 different types of ammo, and had no problems. He also told me that the spring is abit heavy, and that the factory mag did not pop out after the he fired the full clips. The smith told me I would just have to pull the mag out of the well after shooting the factory mag. He didn't have any 7 or 8 round Wilson, or Chip McCormic mags in stock yet.

Today I went to the range with 150rds of ammo, and spent them all. Just about every time I fired a mag. The last round would only feed half way into the chamber. I could pop out the mag normally, and the slide stop engaged, when the half way cartridge was extracted. I then reinserted the last cartridge into the empty mag to fire it. After the final round was fired, the mag would not come out of the well unless I locked the slide stop into place, and pushed the mag out through the chamber while holding the mag release button.
    The 10rd still only feeds halfway into the chamber, just like it did last month. I now consider that mag a lost cause.

What do you think the problem is? Is the extractor tension still to tight(or loose)? The spring to heavy? Or that I need to try a new mag? Because I sure don't know...

VIP Member
    Is this 1911 a Kimber? :outtahere

I'd say try a different magazine first, then work up from there.
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

1952 - 2006
    Yes, definetly another mag.
    You haven't said what kind of gun it is, please do.

It is most likely the mag, it could be too heavy a recoil spring but if you are shooting factory ammo I kinda doubt it.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Its a Springfield Full-Size WWII. Sorry about not being more specific, when Im asking for help .

I was guessing on the mag being the problem myself. But its just a guess. Due to the fact that Im new to 1911's altogether. Honestly Im hoping its just the mag. Seeing that I would have to get mags anyhow. I do have an aftermarket Mag-F follower, that might help...I guess? Because....well you know. Im new to 1911's.

I just cant get past the fact that the smith said he had no feeding problems. While I am having problems. Then again 14rds doesn't really cut it for a test, IMHO.
    And no, Im not limp-wristing, or using a bad grip either.

1952 - 2006
    Ok, next questions.

Did you buy it new, and is everything in it stock? Or do you know?
    Is the mag the one that came with the gun or is it something other than a SA mag?
    What kind of ammo are you shooting?
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Switch mags Deff sounds like a mag problem and not ejection when empty sounds like a out of spec mag

Lead Moderator
    try shooting from a sandbag supported too. Might be why the smith had no problems. And .45 mags are cheap, so why not pick up a few more? Hope it works out, from reading about diffrent 1911 problems, not sure I want 1 anymore.

Well, here's my 2 cents, though I'm not sure it's worth that much.

1. Ensure that the gun is clean and well lubed.
    2. Unless you are sure that the gun has the correct recoil spring, replace it with a new one, they're cheap.
    3. Use quality factory new 230 grain FMJ ammunition.
    4. Get and use a new Wilson 47D magazine.

My theory is; rule out the common (and cheap to correct) problems first.

Good luck.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

Cool Start with the Mags and Springs.....

Quote Originally Posted by sarhog
    Well, here's my 2 cents, though I'm not sure it's worth that much.

2. Unless you are sure that the gun has the correct recoil spring, replace it with a new one, they're cheap.

My theory is; rule out the common (and cheap to correct) problems first.

Good luck.
    I agree with everything sarhog says and would only add that it might be a good idea to relube halfway through the session if you're going thru more than 150rds. Do you know the lube points on a 1911? Anybody care to enlighten him? I'm in the middle of my American History class.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

As above. The only other thing I've experienced was an out-of-spec ejector- the rear notch in the mag would catch, causing the mag to hang, and mis-feed on the last round(s). It only happened with the last round or so, as the weight of the full mag pulled things "in-line", but as rounds were expeneded, the mag was being angled to the left.

You can check this by taking the top off, and inserting a mag (try several), and see if it is hanging up/rubbing on any surface. Basically, your mag should slide in freely, and be held only by the mag catch. Good luck!

Did you buy it new, and is everything in it stock? yup it was new, and stock.

I agree with everything sarhog says and would only add that it might be a good idea to relube halfway through the session if you're going thru more than 150rds. Do you know the lube points on a 1911? Anybody care to enlighten him? I'm in the middle of my American History class. Ill try that, yup I know the points, and the 2kidds in the 3rd row far left are screwing around

I cleaned it, and lubed it very well before it went to the smith. But not when I got it back. Ill do so

Ill try that out, when I go to the dealer.

I was using 1 box of PMC, 2 boxes of cheap CCI blazers, both 230gr. Ill get new type of quality ammo.

Thats what I planed on getting, when my dealer resupplies.

You can check this by taking the top off, and inserting a mag (try several), and see if it is hanging up/rubbing on any surface. Basically, your mag should slide in freely, and be held only by the mag catch. Ill check that.

Im calling my smith also, ge gave me a guarantee on his work.

Rocky, Hopefully its just the mags, my only real problem was a poorly tuned extractor. Don't get scared away from 1911, most of these are o.k. out of the box. It is frustrating for me, but as soon as I get this rolling it will be a great gun.

Thanks guys

I just got off the phone with the smith.
    He told my that the factory mag's lip was going over the slide stop, with the last round. He said a new type of mag will work. I asked him if the Wison mags there restocking are the 47D? He didnt know the mod number, but he said there plastic and cost $29.

I agree with trying a different mag.

If you still have problems call Springfield. If you need to send the gun in they will warranty the repair and cover the shipping. I would not spend a bunch of money on a gunsmith and new parts for a new gun that is under warranty. Springfield has great customer service and I am sure they will make it right.
    NRA Life Member

"All That Later"

Quote Originally Posted by gregarat
    I asked him if the Wison mags there restocking are the 47D? He didnt know the mod number, but he said there plastic and cost $29.
    I assume he means a plastic follower, the 47D magazine body is stainless steel. You can pick them up from Natchez for $22.13.
    Good luck.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

Put a 16lb (factory stock) spring in the gun. Next, get a couple of Mec Gar 7 round magazines.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links