Buy American

This is a discussion on Buy American within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Moondo I have an idea, why couldn't we tax the hell out of all imported goods. Then take the money generated from ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buy American

Quote Originally Posted by Moondo View Post
    I have an idea, why couldn't we tax the hell out of all imported goods. Then take the money generated from the import tax and use it for healthcare which will lower the operating costs of the American companies that have not pulled their stakes and moved to other countries.

My name is Moondo, and I approve this message !!!!
    In the name of Free Trade, I demand Moondo cease and desist this outrageous tirade!

-
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

2. Remove Ads

Do you really believe foreign made cars are actually better? Or are you a sheep that has fallen for all the hype put forth by the media/commercials?

Seriously? Why don't we here of the recalls made by Toyota and Honda like we do about the Big Three? You say they don't have any? Horsehockey! Just look it up for yourselves.

Either way, I am not going to try and change your minds. That would be like deabting politics or religion... A death wish :)

The only thing I give foreigns over domestic is fuel mileage... But...

FWIW - Every so often I have to go to the Toyota dealer, so you know I get the "What can I put you in today" spiel... I always ask them to show me the truck that will pull my 31+5 deckover goosneck, preferably at full weight (rated for 20K) and that tends to scare them away... No? How about my 31" TT? No? My gooseneck horsetrailers? No, again? What about my 18' flatbed only loaded with my jeep? This should be fine to tow that... FINE to tow it? What a joke.

When buying firearms, I don't pay attention to where it comes from, but do care how well it meets my needs--I own Beretta's, S&Ws, Glocks and have a SIG on the way.

On the tangent about cars, when there's an American auto on the market that's as good as any of the three Audis I've owned, I'll buy one.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by KG4ZRC View Post
    Do you really believe foreign made cars are actually better? Or are you a sheep that has fallen for all the hype put forth by the media/commercials?
    Um, yeah, I do. The statement "foreign cars are actually better" is too general to evaluate (better at what?), but as a gross oversimplification, I'll say I believe Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus cars are designed and built better than cars by the big three (GM, Ford, Chrysler).

But hey, I'm just "a sheep that has fallen for all the hype" of working 35-60 hours a week, for many years, on all of 'em, from Plymouth K-cars to six-figure Mercedes, from Rangers to Escalades.

That being said, there are still several American cars I'd be happy to own, and I still like American trucks a lot. And, as was said mentioned in a previous post, there's so many parts on an "American" car/truck from Canada, Mexico, Brazil, etc, it's not even funny.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I know where my Kimbers's are made...
    I bet if you check where the steel came from that made the parts for your Kimber you will probably find it is China steel, smelted in China from scrap steel the USA sold to China for a lot cheaper than we purchase it back from them.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    BUY AMERICAN

Why do we buy guns from, and support the economies of (normally third world) countries that will not allow their own citizens the right to possess the same weapons?
    I could say the same thing about my Kahrs (Worcester, Massachusetts) and Springfield Armory 1911 (I know it's made in Brazil, but it also says Geneseo, IL on the slide).
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    Matiki- thanks for the links!

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I don't think I said anything about cars/trucks, electronics, shoes or anything other than GUNS!

Does Brasil allow individual citizens to freely own and keep the same firearms manufactured in their country to be exported to the U.S.? What about Puerto Rico?? For that matter, what about Canada???

Yes, I own a Sig 239 stamped "Exeter NH USA" myself, as well as an old junker Rossi M68 "Made in Brasil", but also have others like Kimber, S&W, Ruger and Kel-Tec (and more) as well.

My point is, why in the world do we continue to buy guns from countries that deny their own citizens the right to protect themselves?

Yes, we all buy Japanese made vehicles (or most of us - myself included), but Japan does allow their citizens to drive the same automobiles (+/- enviro junk parts). And we all buy crap from China, but I would doubt that most of the crap we get off the WallyWorld shelf from China is out right outlawed in China!

My point is just musing over a matter of principle! That principle being that we are supporting the economies of countries that subject their citizens to complete domination by an omnipetent government when we buy guns and ammunition from their (probably government controlled) factories.

My point is, why in the world do we continue to buy guns from countries that deny their own citizens the right to protect themselves?
    You could say the same about products from Kalifornia, right....

You don't have to leave the US to find citizens denied the right to protect themselves!

I don't think I said anything about cars/trucks, electronics, shoes or anything other than GUNS!

Does Brasil allow individual citizens to freely own and keep the same firearms manufactured in their country to be exported to the U.S.? What about Puerto Rico?? For that matter, what about Canada???

Yes, I own a Sig 239 stamped "Exeter NH USA" myself, as well as an old junker Rossi M68 "Made in Brasil", but also have others like Kimber, S&W, Ruger and Kel-Tec (and more) as well.

Yes, we all buy Japanese made vehicles (or most of us - myself included), but Japan does allow their citizens to drive the same automobiles (+/- enviro junk parts). And we all buy crap from China, but I would doubt that most of the crap we get off the WallyWorld shelf from China is out right outlawed in China!

My point is just musing over a matter of principle! That principle being that we are supporting the economies of countries that subject their citizens to complete domination by an omnipetent government when we buy guns and ammunition from their (probably government controlled) factories.
    I don't think that many people consider the internal politics of a country before buying consumer goods. With guns, (for CCW anyway), I'm more concerned about whether the gun has a reputation for durability and reliability. It's a life-saving device, not a toaster oven.

I own and shoot guns that were made both here and abroad. Honestly, we live in a global economy, and many products have some foreign content, even if they are stamped "Made in USA." I don't fret about it. Somebody in the US benefits anytime I buy something, no matter where it was made. Many Americans work in sales, distribution, shipping, etc. Not everyone is a factory worker.

By the way, Puerto Rico is a commonwealth of the US, not a separate country.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

I have come to believe that buying American is an imperative. And I define "American" as any product made in the US even if it is made by a foreign company. So an FNP, made in South Carolina, is American. A Brazillian Springfield is not.

Why is this an imperative? Because we need to take care of each other. Because we need to get our trade deficit down. Because with a devalued dollar, you will get more for your money.

This is not to say that an M&P is better than a Glock. It is to say that an M&P is a great gun and our people need the work. The Austrians can look out for themselves.

As far as cars go, I looked at a Honda and a Toyota but bought a new Chevy Mailbu. I got more for my money. And I've owned Hondas, Toyotas, and BMW's over the years, so I speak with some experience when I say that my Chevy is a very impressive car. GM is finally building quality that Americans can be proud of.

But we need to support this. Sure Detroit sold all of us a lot of junk in the past. S&W has peddled some in the past, too. But read the posts by people who have bought M&P's. They seem to be very pleased overall. S&W has gotten its act together. So has GM. We need to be willing to give American products a second look.

There are a lot of things we don't make any more. There are no American TV's. But where you have an American alternative, don't just ignore it. Give it a hard look. How in the heck do we expect foreigners to buy our products if we won't buy them?
    Dieu et les Dames

Quote Originally Posted by KG4ZRC View Post

Seriously? Why don't we here of the recalls made by Toyota and Honda like we do about the Big Three? You say they don't have any? Horsehockey! Just look it up for yourselves.

Either way, I am not going to try and change your minds. That would be like deabting politics or religion... A death wish :)

The only thing I give foreigns over domestic is fuel mileage... But...

FWIW - Every so often I have to go to the Toyota dealer, so you know I get the "What can I put you in today" spiel... I always ask them to show me the truck that will pull my 31+5 deckover goosneck, preferably at full weight (rated for 20K) and that tends to scare them away... No? How about my 31" TT? No? My gooseneck horsetrailers? No, again? What about my 18' flatbed only loaded with my jeep? This should be fine to tow that... FINE to tow it? What a joke.
    Going to a Toyota dealer looking for a vehicle than can pull a monster trailer is like going to a Glock dealer and asking if they've got anything in .308 Winchester that can hold MOA at 300 yards.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

yeah, it always cracks me up when the rednecks I work with (all drive american trucks) defend their purchase by using the 'towing" angle, yet NONE of them tow!! They dump $$$ in the gas tanks and repair bills all in the name of "towing". Of course I drive a Toyota pickup

You know that the U.S.companies would have moved manufacturing or farmed out manufacturing to other countries REGARDLESS of whether or not we bought the products, because there was more profit to be made and this countries calling card is too often GREED. To me the "American Way" is to buy what is best for my money, if made in USA that is awesome but I will never buy junk just because it is American, we call that enabling where I come from.

I purchased a S&W because of their reputation, AND made in the USA, I was.

I will buy the best product for the money i'm willing to spend,I'm not paying big money for over rated firearms,or anything else.I was brought up to compare prices and product.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links