Buy American

This is a discussion on Buy American within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Weather or not you buy the gun will not affect weather or not they are allowed to own/operate/deploy such tools (people in a 3rd world ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buy American

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Weather or not you buy the gun will not affect weather or not they are allowed to own/operate/deploy such tools (people in a 3rd world who do not have the right to own/possess a firearm).

But if it helps you sleep at night
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    My point is, why in the world do we continue to buy guns from countries that deny their own citizens the right to protect themselves?
    Better start boycotting makers that have factories in states that don't really allow self-defense. Like Illannoy, Massachewsetts, etc.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Smith & Wesson is owned by a holding company in the UK
    1911a1
    BHP 9mm
    225/p6
    16 hb AR15 223/5.56
    599 carbine/ati stock
    AR15/spikes at22 upper

Quote Originally Posted by lraimer View Post
    Smith & Wesson is owned by a holding company in the UK
    Nope. You're about 7 years behind with that info.

Smith & Wesson Under New Ownership | American Handgunner | Find Articles at BNET.com
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

my bad
    1911a1
    BHP 9mm
    225/p6
    16 hb AR15 223/5.56
    599 carbine/ati stock
    AR15/spikes at22 upper

I bought a SIG its made in America my car in a old german car mercedes benz built awsome qauility cars alot of us cars import the cars parts then assemble them here in the Us .
    I dont want to hijack the the thread but it seems conterproductive if you buy something just cause it "made in America " if the qaulity is poor that sends the message of whatever crap you build well buy .

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    Better start boycotting makers that have factories in states that don't really allow self-defense. Like Illannoy, Massachewsetts, etc.
    I think you are 100% spot on.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

VIP Member
    In fact Brasil does allow their citizens to own firearms. A few years back there was a national referendum to ban guns in Brasil, but it was defeated. Most of the European countries allow private ownership of firearms on some level. Most don't allow possession of firearms that are chambered for whatever the military or police are using. Although I seem to recall reading something where that recently changed in Germany I think. They don't have the freedoms we do, but then again I don't think there is another nation on the planet that enjoys our level of freedom.

As for only buying USA built or made anything, good luck. Odds are some part of it is made, processed or something outside our borders. If it's rights you're concerned with then you should not purchase firearms imported, assembled or manufactured in the near communist states. That removes XDs, Springfields, S&Ws and a fair few others. Do what you have to do, and good luck.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I suppose I'm the only person that thinks it a bit ironic that the vast majority of countries that benefit from our importation of their guns and ammunition for distribution to the general public here do not allow their own citizens to purchase, keep and use a weapon for defense, hunting or any other purpose. How many South American countries allow their citizens the legal right to possess the same weapons they pump into the USA by the hundreds of thousands? Or, how many European or Asian countries allow private ownership of firearms? Heck, they've even banned possession of knives in some countries.

Yes, I agree with the facts that point to the necessity to purchase some foreign goods (even in a really bad drought season I will NOT eat crawfish packaged from China though). I'm old enough to remember toy trucks and cars imported from Japan that were stamped out of American beer cans, assembled by hand, and hand painted. You could bend the assembly tabs out, disassemble the toys, and still find enough of the beer brand label on the inside of the steel can material to determine whether the beer was Jax, Falstaff, Busch Bavarian, etc. At that time, the "cheap Japanese junk" was mostly novelty stuff and really didn't compete with local products. And, most of the products from Japan were a direct result of our (American) assistance in reconstruction after WWII. Germany, and the revival of the Volkswagon were similar to Japan as for our hand in their "reconstruction". Both Japanese and German arms factories now produce some pretty fine civilian weaponry, most of which probably ends up in the USA as neither of the former allows anywhere near the freedoms to possess firearms that even our most restrictive states, including DC, acknowledge.

And to respond to a quote "By the way, Puerto Rico is a commonwealth of the US, not a separate country."..... maybe I missed something in school, but did Puerto Rico recognize our Constitution to govern their "territory",,, do they recognize the same Second Amendment that we hold dear? I don't think so.

I am not talking boycott, or promoting some "buy American (yes, to most of us old people it means USA) or do without" attitude. I am thinking only about the hard and cold fact that the USA is fastly becomming the only place of the face of the Earth that private citizens are allowed to own firearms, other than a "hunting piece". The United Nations, which is made up of all those other countries that promote the manufacture of small arms on their turf just to export to our turf, is pushing hard to force a world wide ban on private small arms ownership. By purchasing firearms from those countries, we are supporting the very governments that would take away our firearms. I look at firearms as symbolic of freedom, and something just doesn't seem right about purchasing a firearm stamped "Made in XXXX", when the citizens of XXXX can't possess the same!

I guess I'm just getting old, or thinking a bit too deep. Back in my box!

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    And to respond to a quote "By the way, Puerto Rico is a commonwealth of the US, not a separate country."..... maybe I missed something in school, but did Puerto Rico recognize our Constitution to govern their "territory",,, do they recognize the same Second Amendment that we hold dear? I don't think so.
    Since Puerto Rico has no firearms manufacturers, I don't see how it's even relevant to this discussion. You don't have the pleasure of refusing to buy a Puerto Rican gun....they don't exist.

However, just for discussion, Puerto Rico is largely self-governing, but the United States retains authority over the island. Their constitution has no equivalent right to bear arms like ours does, but the US Consitution is the greater authority over Puerto Rico,due to the supremacy clause. Firearms can be owned in Puerto Rico, but the process involves licensing and such. Kinda like New York city, only with better weather. There is no outright ban, like in DC.

You may look at firearms as symbolic of freedom, and that's fine. I look at firearms as tools, and I prefer substance over symbolism. I look for the best value, proven design, and reliability. Sometimes that's a Ruger revolver, and sometimes it's a Glock.

Each time I buy a firearm from my local dealer, he thanks me for my business. The US distributor thanks me for my business. The US shipping industry thanks me for my business. The US oil industry thanks me for my business (gas for the truck/plane/train). And the employees of the manufacturer here in the US thank me for my business, whether the company is US owned or not.

The way I see it, any gun purchase I make promotes the right to keep and bear arms here in the US. Foreign companies like Sig and Glock do a lot to promote shooting and shooting sports here in the US, as do US companies like S&W and Kimber.

I don't think you're going to influence any foreign governments buy not buying a Glock, Sig, Taurus, Beretta, etc. The US is unique in the world, and to compare it to any other country with regards to firearms freedoms is being a bit naive, IMHO.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    o.k., I'll withdraw P.R., as I was actually thinking Phillipines when I originally typed that. And, I am not one to put symbolism over substance, nor do I consider myself naive. Not by a long shot!

I just hate to see, of all things, the firearms market in the USA being almost monopolized by a third world player like Brasil.

I will continue to scrimp and save, if necessary, to put another couple hundred bucks towards a firearm manufactured here, or at least assembled here by hands of people that possess the right to keep and bear arms. I see nothing naive about that!

BAC
    My Springfield was actually made in the US of A (a rarity, apparently). Does that count?

As was said earlier, I buy what meets my criteria. Provided it's not the firearms equivalent to conflict diamonds, I'm aight.

-B

Quote Originally Posted by Metro 40 View Post
    Going to a Toyota dealer looking for a vehicle than can pull a monster trailer is like going to a Glock dealer and asking if they've got anything in .308 Winchester that can hold MOA at 300 yards.
    The only reason I go to the Toyota dealer is for work... Pick up this part or that.

If the salesman is going to come out for the fast sales pitch, I am going to have some fun.

And I tow. All the before mentioned trailers are mine, and are used quite regularly.

If your friends want to defend their purchase by saying that it is for towing... Then they are fools. I have had lesser trucks and have had to upgrade. That's why I have what I have now. My trailers outgrew my truck.

The quality of the imports are not what it used to be.

weather US or foreign, gun purchasing helps the right to bear arms, weather or not it is legal in that said country. the only way the government.,s can really stop anything is the shopping of manufacturing though various ways(i.e. taxes). if we do not buy the company s go under, the BIG WIGGS are not funded in the state house, laws are past and freedom is revoked. the right to bear arms never stopped any society or member from carrying or not. take those countries that it is illegal to posses or carry, how many people carry, i would have to say more than you expect, illegal yes, but in those countries, who cares(how powerful are those governments to do anything about it and is it a real problem?)

i will continue to buy quality and any what ever else gets my fancy. the more they produce the more there are. i hate to think of the bad guys having them but that is all the more reason for me to have them.

what ever one believes. the basic human (and animal for that matter) instinct is to protect it self in what ever way necessary in any circumstance weather legal or not or constitutional correct or not. i enjoy the fact that our constitution make provisions for that right but if it did not i would still carry and proses when necessary.

i have Brazilian, Austrian and USA made guns.
    "As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence."
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    As for my guns....why should I pay almost double the price for a gun, when I can buy at half the cost and the gun functions flawlessly. Is the name S&W, Colt, Springfield worth that much? Not to me.
    My Springer 1911 says made in Brazil

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links