Buy American

This is a discussion on Buy American within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; BUY AMERICAN Why do we buy guns from, and support the economies of (normally third world) countries that will not allow their own citizens the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buy American

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar

Buy American

BUY AMERICAN

Why do we buy guns from, and support the economies of (normally third world) countries that will not allow their own citizens the right to possess the same weapons?

just something to think about!

2. Remove Ads

Slightly off topic, but I was having a "buy American stuff" discussion with a friend over dinner a few nights ago, and the topic came up...

We buy a few hundred million dollars worth of fireworks from China every fourth of July, because we don't want to make them ourselves. So while we're celebrating America's independence, we're making our national debt problem worse and China's belly-laughing at us.

Also, it's hard to want to buy an American car when Japanese cars last twice as long and require half as much maintenance.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you; supporting our own industries is a critical piece of the puzzle to fix our economy. And it will be a long, hard road.

With the dollar at nearly an all-time low, oil at an all-time high, our national debt over 9 trillion, our military stretched thin, and our population divided... the net is closing in.

(Am I pessimistic enough for you?)

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    That was one of the criteria I used when I selected the S&W M&P.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

My purchase of a Ruger SR9 was partly based on the gun being made in the US. Not a big factor, but it was a factor, nonetheless.

However, though they say the gun is 100% made in the US (as I recall), the mag is apparently a Mec-gar make, and is stamped "Made in China".

-JT

VIP Member
    I buy American made when possible. However I shop for price and quality. Neither of my cars now are American made, the American car manufacturers drove themselves into the ground with over priced vehicles that did not hold up. That plus almost all American cars are made with parts produced overseas and assymbled here. As for my guns....why should I pay almost double the price for a gun, when I can buy at half the cost and the gun functions flawlessly. Is the name S&W, Colt, Springfield worth that much? Not to me.

"Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I always try to buy quality, sometimes American
    sometimes not.

If I have a choice between quality American and quality imported
    the quality American wins. (but you can keep the junk, I dont care who made it)
    In God we trust, Everyone else we monitor...

I love buying good American craftsmanship...the operating word here is "craftsmanship". Many products no longer come under that category here in the USA...in which case, I will buy the best product on the market. If you make a "quality" product, the law of supply and demand will work for you...it's just like the law of gravity. If you want to buy a Crysler, get 12 miles to the gallon and smoke oil after three years...have at it. I'll put my hard earned money on the Honda every time, thank you very much.

Now...if only I could buy a German house...cuz homes made in the USA just plain suck in every category you can think of.

Define "American" per chance you mean "Made in the USA"?

my next door neighbor's Honda was Mfd just up the road in Marysville, the engine was made in Anna (less than 4 miles from my house) and the tranny was made in Russells Point Ohio...

yet the Ford I just passed on the road... parts from France, Mexico...

Sig has a factory here, some Walthers are made her too, and BMW and Isuzu ...

now I do believe in spending as little as I can in Wal Mart - and I look for Made in USA products when I do go there...

but you need a score card to keep up on what is made by whom and where...

Just try and walk into any store (Wal-Mart, notoriously), and buy anything made in the USA. Even brand names like Bissel, Black & Decker, etc., are ALL Made in China!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I know where my Kimbers's are made...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That is one reason why I am buying a Ruger LCP.

kpw
    Am I supposed to feel bad that my Glock is made in Austria? I don't. Glock has US employees that deal with sales and distribution, warranty work and a bunch of other stuff. Glock pays wages to those American employees. It may not be manufactured here but it does contribute to our economy. As for japanese cars, many are made here in the US, like my dad's Toyota and unlike many so-called American cars. I could care a less about who's CEO is getting rich. A lot of American CEOs are way over-compensated in comparison to the rest of the world as it is. I like to buy American products when it's feasible and prudent. I'll happily pay more when the quality is warranted and apparent and, often it is. I prefer Starrett over Mitutoyo any day and Mitutoyo makes some good stuff. I just prefer Starrett's quality and I'll pay the extra bucks for it.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I know where my Kimbers's are made...
    I'd check with the ATF on Variances granted before making this statement.

I've never seen a Mec-Gar that wasn't made in Italy. That are great mags.
    Last edited by JD; May 1st, 2008 at 08:25 PM.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Moondo for 08'

I have an idea, why couldn't we tax the hell out of all imported goods. Then take the money generated from the import tax and use it for healthcare which will lower the operating costs of the American companies that have not pulled their stakes and moved to other countries.

My name is Moondo, and I approve this message !!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links