Some issues with my LCP

Some issues with my LCP

This is a discussion on Some issues with my LCP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, Last trip to the range with my LCP was quite interesting. I bought 100 rounds more of .380 auto remington UMC ammo. First ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some issues with my LCP

Some issues with my LCP

Hey guys,

Last trip to the range with my LCP was quite interesting.

I bought 100 rounds more of .380 auto remington UMC ammo. First two mags went off fine with not hitch. I took a break and shot my glock for a little while, then went back to my LCP.

When I started shooting it, the last round of every mag would have a failure to feed. I thought that this was due to me "limp wristing" the firearm so I decided to do a bench rest shot and focus on not limp wristing. I found it continued to do the same things. I only put 50 more rounds through it which would total 150 total rounds put through the gun.

I took it home and broke it down for cleaning and was suprised that a few pieces of metal on the handle were already wearing out. One peice that sits just underneath the extractor and another that is just bellow the feed ramp. Could this be the reason why it is jamming?

I am a freak about cleaning and keeping my guns well oiled and in tip-top shape so i know it's not a dirty gun problem. Is this normal for a gun to have some fatigue after 150 rounds? Has anyone else experienced this? Would love to hear your opinions. Thanks!

I had the same problem with my lcp right out of the box, using winchester white box, contacted Ruger about problem, they had me inspect the feedramp on the barrel for sharp edges(which it had), they said some barrels werent completely polished, its done by hand, and may be the problem, to make a long story short, they sent me new barrel, installed it, and so far so good(knock on wood).... Very impressed with ruger customer service and their promptness for the solution

very interesting....

starting to sound similar to the annoying little things that happen to the P3AT
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Wow, ok thanks Rob, I really appreciate that. I will call them tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks for the info.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    very interesting....

starting to sound similar to the annoying little things that happen to the P3AT
    Very interesting, indeed.

Looks like the folks who say they intend to buy an LCP but are going to wait until all the "bugs" are worked out might have something there...

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

The P3AT and the LCP are not the only pistols to have teething problems.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    True, but if it is mine then it is a problem I would rather avoid.
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Very interesting, indeed.

Looks like the folks who say they intend to buy an LCP but are going to wait until all the "bugs" are worked out might have something there...
    AAAhhhmmmmmm...I was one of them...

Always let the quickstarters help fix the problems. Now it IS mechanical, and they will certainly make it right...but I'll wait, Thank You!

Stay armed...wait...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Very true, most new things = cars, guns ect that are new designs have issues that need to be fixed on first /second run models.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I received my LCP 3 weeks ago. I cleaned it right out of the box using Mil-Comm cleaner and lube. I have put 50 rounds each of Blazer Brass, Remington UMC, Winchester White Box, American Eagle and Speer Gold Dot through it. It has worked flawlessly so far with 2 cleanings. Because of the problem your having, I'm going to inspect my barrel very closely tomorrow. Good Luck on solving the problem.

Thanks again guys. I haven't been able to contact Ruger. I will contact them monday and I will give my barrel a thorough inspection as well. Right now I'm def. NOT carrying it because of those issues. I don't want to trust my life to it just yet. I will stick with my tried and true Glock. Almost 1,000 rounds and not one single issue.

Unfortunately, I think, when a high-demand product comes out, and they are making thousands of them, there's bound to be a bad apple every so often. I have had no problems with my LCP, as most others I've heard from.

Ruger support is usually very helpful. I would contact them (firmly), and tell them of your problem. I'm sure they will bend over backwards to help you.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

My LCP

I bought my LCP last month and so far the small gun has been rock solid like my other Ruger. No jams or malfunctions of any kind so far after 200 rounds through it. Much better then what I hear from people that have Kel Tecs. Bought it for $289 and even though it will not replace my 45 ACP, it is a great conceal handgun to have when it gets warm out and all your wearing is shorts and a t-shirt. Sights are not great on the little gun, but I finally have gotten used to it. Bought me my second magazine yesterday for it. For the money would say great buy. The gun store I bought it at said they currently have 48 LCP's on order! I was lucky to be the fourth person to get one there. Looks like Ruger has a winner with this one in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Unfortunately, I think, when a high-demand product comes out, and they are making thousands of them, there's bound to be a bad apple every so often. I have had no problems with my LCP, as most others I've heard from.

Ruger support is usually very helpful. I would contact them (firmly), and tell them of your problem. I'm sure they will bend over backwards to help you.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck!
    So far that has not been my experience with Ruger. I've called twice and finally yesterday got a call back from someone at Ruger but it was not a supervisor or a tech. She said a tech would have to call me back but the lady I spoke with told me it's common for the LCP to tear the lip on the casing and didn't act like they would do anything about it. My LCP does not have the frame mod done and she said that it doesn't affect anything, so once again she acted like they wouldn't do anything about that either. I had at least 6 ftf in 45 rounds, depends on how you count them, and she acted surprised that I was complaining about them. I guess we'll see when a tech calls me, what I can get done. If I do have to send it in, I'm not looking forward to the wait to get it back. I bought this for a summer carry and a bug but I'm afraid by the time I get it back summer will be over.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

The tear on the casing is normal and ok.(from what i was told anyway) My test casing from the manufacturer was like that also, i asked when i talked to the rep from Ruger. Surprising to hear about them not getting back to u sooner, Hang in there, stay firm about sending u new barrel, it will solve your ftf, im sure. I have put approx. 500 rounds through with new barrel, and no problems at all. Mine was ftf last round everytime before

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links