Any trouble with YOUR Beretta 21?

This is a discussion on Any trouble with YOUR Beretta 21? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bought it almost new....20 rounds through it. Inox finish, a holster (pocket) and spare mag for all of $200. A deal? I thought so. Every ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any trouble with YOUR Beretta 21?

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar

Any trouble with YOUR Beretta 21?

Bought it almost new....20 rounds through it. Inox finish, a holster (pocket) and spare mag for all of $200. A deal? I thought so. Every so often it would stove pipe a round, unfired. Just shoot it past the pipe. Cleaned it with a dremmel, polished.....every so often....boing! Not carrying it that often anymore.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

I had a Beretta model 21 in .22lr that I could never get to feed any hollowpoint ammo period! It would feed round nose lead bullets just fine. I got rid of that jam-o-matic piece of junk and never looked back!
    God bless our troops!

Beretta 21

It sounds a lot like a magazine related issue. Try a different magazine and see if that helps things. Could be that the cartridge is leaving the mag early and missing the chamber and getting forced upwards, if I'm getting what you're describing.

I found out that if I used hotter loads that problem went away. Stingers are the best but Winchester Wildcats are also good. Steve48

Administrator

The Beretta 21 needs light, super-slick friction reducing grease on the rails - not gun oil (recommended - Try Jardines Extreme.) and switch to very hot ammo.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    The Beretta 21 needs light, super-slick friction reducing grease on the rails - not gun oil (recommended - Try Jardines Extreme.) and switch to very hot ammo.
    Methinks yours is the truest answer to what ails me..........thanx
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

mine was used and I know why I got it so cheap. worst acting gun i ever had. the .25 works better (on the range) but I tried different mags, ammo, played with feed ramp..... after 6 months it's sitting WAAAYYYYY in the back of the gun safe.

Lube

If it's a lube issue, try this. We use it on a lot of heavy use rental guns. Stays slick and doesn't attract grunge. Great grease.

https://host8.successfulhosting.com/...cat=252&page=1

And if you're really unhappy with those poor .22s and .25s, I'll see if I can find them a good home on a nice rental range where they can live out their retirement. PM me.

I just put one of these 21a's on hold at a local shop. I have been doing alot of reading about them too....seems they like to be kept very clean and it seems most guys have better luck with jacketed, round nose, high velocity ammo.

Looking forward to picking mine up soon.....

I have one...

I've shot about 175 rds. No problems. Both CCI stingers and mini mags.
    Nice little gun.
    Kel Tec P-32 .32
    Grendel P-10 .380

I have a 21-A that I play with at the range and rarely carry for a BUG.

Echoing other's comments, they like to be well-lubricated (I use oil but many say dry lube / grease works better, I'd try that first) and they like hot ammo. I use Remington high-velocity .22LR HP or CCI Stingers, it eats both pretty reliably.

I'd say I normally get 1, occasionally 2 failures to feed (usually mouth of the HP stuck on the top of the barrel mouth) in 50 rounds. Luckily tap-rack-bang has always fixed it, so I don't worry too much about it's reliability as a backup gun. It's seen a few thousand rounds already so I doubt a fluff-and-buff would do it much good.

If you keep having problems, I'd consider a lighter weight spring in it (if possible, I've never changed the spring in mine). Ask Beretta maybe?

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Administrator
    The reason that most small Rim Fire semi autos have function related problems is that there is just not a whole ton of available energy and everything needs a more critical adjustment in order for them to run smoothly and consistently.

It's really important to cut down on the friction as much as possible. Using the finest lapping compound to lightly lap the rails helps quite a bit.
    That helps the slide cycle easier which is always beneficial and increases overall functional reliability.

Carefully stoning the breech face with a super fine stone helps also.
    Easy does it though.

Also if the recoil spring weight is even just a bit too heavy for the Rim Fire cartridges you're shooting then that is one cause for stovepipes.
    Since it's not an easy thing to shop around for various lighter weight recoil springs for most .22 semi-automatics then the easy answer is to just keep trying various brands of .22 ammo or start clipping recoil spring coils - one half coil at a time.

Also disassemble the magazine and lightly break the sharp edge on the magazine feed lips.
    The edge of the lips that the cartridges ride against as they feed forward from the magazine.
    You can just do that with very fine 3M Wet ot Dry Silicon Carbide paper.
    That will cut down on "friction and drag" and is an aid to better feeding/chambering especially when the magazine is fully stoked and the upward magazine spring pressure is greatest.

^^ Excellent post by QK there, I just wanted to add, if you are going to clip coils off the spring, get an extra spring FIRST. I made that mistake once.

Also, (just my opinion!) unless you're a hobbyist gunsmith, I wouldn't recommend tinkering with the breech face much. Some superfine polishing compound and some elbow grease on the frame/slide rails won't hurt if done carefully, though.

Let us know how it goes.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Administrator

Thumbs up

Good addition and thoughtful warning by Pete.

There are so many little things that can goof up the function on a .22 semi-auto that would normally NOT be a huge problem on a larger caliber firearm. For obvious reasons.

Sometimes an overly heavy hammer spring can just create a bit too much resistance for the slide to overcome which can slow down the rearward travel. There is a stovepipe waiting to happen.

Also the extractor...(if there is one) can have a knife edge that cuts hard into the cartridge brass can hang things up.

A few other super minor things that I can think of but, don't feel like typing right now.

After reading the posts here, I wished that I knew back then what I have just learned here now. I might have kept it - if I had got it to work. Nice posts and good information to remember in the future though.
    God bless our troops!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links