Think Back to When You Bought Your First Carry Gun

This is a discussion on Think Back to When You Bought Your First Carry Gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking to buy my first "compact" carry gun. I own other guns but I want one for carry here in my home state ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Think Back to When You Bought Your First Carry Gun

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

I am looking to buy my first "compact" carry gun. I own other guns but I want one for carry here in my home state of Texas. I know I want a 9mm but my question is for you guys who have been at this a while.

When you think back to when you got started, do you wish you had saved up & bought a really nice gun ($1,000+ range)?

The reason I ask is because I am considering some nice polymer pistols (Walther, Springfield, etc.) that are right around $500 or less. However, I know I could save for another month or two & get a really nice gun (Springfield EMP, perhaps).

Thoughts?

What's a month or two? Get all you can the first time. Working your way up is expensive!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Well, if you are only planning on owning ONE compact carry gun, I would recommend to wait and get your ultimate.

I love really nice guns too, but if you ever have to use it they may confiscate it for evidence and i'm not sure how long or what process would be involved to get it returned.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

If i had to use it to save myself or my family members, confiscation would be the last thing on my mind.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

sig p239 9mm. day I turned 21. still have it

I'm thinking back to last month... S&W model 60. Simplicity, a bit pricey, but I'm happy.

kpw
    1988 and a S&W Md. 66 3 inch. It was about perfect then and pretty close now. A $1000 pistol isn't twice as good as a $500 one. Often it isn't as good for the intended purposes. Do a little research and look for the features you want and choose from there.

My first gun was a Kahr CW9, nice and compact perfect for a CCW. Only cost me $415 out the door. Then a few weeks later I went and bought myself a Springfield XD. When I think about it, I could have waited and just bought the 1911 I wanted instead of both guns. But, at least now I can save for a 1911 and have 3 guns!

But like kpw said, it's not really about the cost. I wouldn't trade in my budget CW series Kahr for anything, I love that little gun. The EMP is sexy though. If you want it, save for it. If I had the self discipline to save rather than to go shooting or buy the first gun I see, I'd probably save for an EMP too!
    Heavily armed.
    Collection: Kahr CW9, M&P 15-22, Walther P22, Glock 19.
    Sold: XD9 4'', Kimber 1911 Series II compact, FNP-9
    Shopping list: Springfield EMP 9mm, M&P 15 .223

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    I worked my way up. First carry gun was a Beretta Tomcat.

A lot of good, cool guns out there in the $500 to $700 range. Especially if you snatch up some lightly used ones.

They are still my main carry weapons.

IMHO you will never regret buying quality. Get what you want the first time and enjoy it for a loooonnnng time.

I bought my first dedicated carry gun, a Kahr K9, in 1995. Even though I have a bunch of other options available to me these days, it's still with me more than all the others combined. Like an old, trusted friend.

Distinguished Member
    I remember reading somewhere on this forum a person said that a 1911 is what you show your friends and a Glock is what you show your enemies. I think it has a hint of truth to it.

As for me, I purchased a XD9-sc for my first carry gun. It's a great tool, I just do not carry it very often, most of the time its my P-3at that's with me because it carries soooo easy.

My real tool box has Craftsman like tools in it, not Snap-on, but I don't use them every day, sorta like my CCW tool, not a show piece, or an expensive piece but a quality tool that does work. If I made my living carrying the gun, such as a PI or armed security guard, or police/deputy, I would carry an upper end gun such as a Sig.

If your the type of person that does not mind an expensive gun getting some "age" marks on it, save your money and buy what ever you want. As for me, if I had $3000.00 to spend, I would rather purchase 5 guns than 1 expensive gun, but that's just me.

My best advice---just stay away from the truly junk guns like jennings, or raven. The mainstream guns will all bring a smile to your shooting hand.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

More $ does not necessarilly equal "better."

My advice: Buy a Glock or M&P and use the $500 you saved to take a training class.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Unfortunately, you'll find the "grass is always greener" when it comes to purchasing a carry gun. You're always looking and making changes based on climate, clothing choice, itenerary, etc., etc., etc., etc. I thought the XD40 would be perfect (and is in many circumstances), but more often find I'm carrying the polar opposite in a J Frame 642 wheelgun. The bottom line (for me anyway) is to have flexibility and not be married to one gun.

Good luck on your journey!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    When you think back to when you got started, do you wish you had saved up & bought a really nice gun ($1,000+ range)?
    No. I bought a $500 XD-9 subcompact and am very pleased. If I would have had $1000 at the time, I would also have bought a snub revolver to go along with the XD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links