Defensive Carry banner

Springfield EMP Owners: Did You Shoot It First?

16K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  theneko 
#1 ·
I am really wanting to try out an EMP to see if I like it. You guys who own one, did you practice shooting a rental/loaner first? Or did you just buy the gun without shooting it?

I ask because since no one seems to have 'em in stock, there's virtually no way to shoot one unless you know someone that owns one. Maybe it's just me but I like to shoot a gun before I spend $$ on it.

#2 ·
Well, since you don't get to shoot the one you buy unless you are buying used, the point is a bit moot. It is a nice little 1911 slightly downsized clone. It has a 1911 grip, trigger, and overall feel. It is about the same weight as the ultracompacts in .45 acp, but with a lot less recoil.

I would definitely want to handle one and feel the trigger, safety, etc. before purchasing, but I was happy to buy one without having fired it.

#3 ·
Spingfield reps were at a gun shop in my area a while back. And had there emp to try out. i had the chance to do so and if I could afford one I would have it. they are great shooting guns. i ended up with a xdsc which is also a good gun for the money. Sixgun

#8 ·
I've shoot one. Put several magazines through it. Very sweet firearm. I have two issues with it. I'll preface this with, I carry a Colt Defender .45. The EMP is probably half inch shorter, and obvioulsy the grips are slimmer given it's a 9mm, thus even slightly lighter weight than my Defender. First issue, the bottom of the beavertail has a protrusion to it. After the very first magazine, I had an uncomfortable indentation in the palm of my hand. If I bought one, I would have a gunsmith file that down to a smooth beavertail. Other issue is, the tips of my strong hand fingers land at the front edge of the wood grips. That edge is fairly sharp. I would want to switch those grips out for rubber grips. Unfortunately, Hogue is not making rubber grips yet for the EMP. Even if I had the $1200 available to me to purchase one, I'm not sure I'd buy one until rubber grips are made for it.

#11 · (Edited)
We have one at the shop NIB for sale if anyone can't find one, wants one, pm or email me if interested.

I bought mine NIB, without trying any other first. Mines been 100% through 700 rds or so. I did the polish the feed ramp before it went to the range but I do that with every new gun.

My initial review/results with the EMP here:

Springfield Armory "EMP" 1911 type 9mm - Threat Focused Forums

Brownie

#15 ·
I did the research, but bought mine before shooting one. You're right that unless you know someone who has one it's to try before you buy, but even if you found a rental you'd have no idea of how it's been treated, abused, or cleaned. Usually word of mouth is a good indicator of if a weapon is viable.

#19 ·
I bought mine off the show-room, took it to the range and put 150 rds. of WW and Blazer throught it without so much as a hick-up. Bought a box of Remington JHP and it was FTF city, so I called Springfield to complain and they said that I could send it in for warrenty repair, but suggested I put 400 to 500 rds through it for break-in and see if it was still jamming. Well, at the 350 rd mark I shot JHP's again and lo 'n behold I only had 1 FTF. I'm now at the 500 rd mark and it's eating everything I feed it.

#20 · (Edited)
I bought a new EMP last Friday, without shooting one first. Took it to the range Saturday morning. I did clean and lube it prior to taking it to the range. I had feeding problems with the first two or three magazines of ammo (tried three differnet kinds of ammo). After that, it performed flawlessly and I ran close to 100 rounds through it. This is a great little gun that I will be carrying soon. Still need to run a few different kinds of ammo through it and become proficient with it. Then, I fully expect it to replace my XD9 subcompact as my conceal carry weapon of choice. :hand10:

#21 ·
I had read many great reviews but I would never want to buy it sight-unseen (no pun intended!)

The range where I shoot actually had a rental so I went there to shoot a few hundred rounds and that made up my mind that it was accurate and comfortable in my hand. By pure luck they had one in the case when I was done shooting. I had already looked "everywhere" (the internet) and couldn't find one so I snapped it up. The price was high but that is the reality if you are impatient like me. If it is reliable it will be my carry piece since since my other 9mm is a full size.

Good luck finding one, but try to hold/shoot it first to be sure you like it before shelling out $1K for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.