Grip Safety- Necessary or Just a Warm Feeling? - Page 2

Grip Safety- Necessary or Just a Warm Feeling?

This is a discussion on Grip Safety- Necessary or Just a Warm Feeling? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by exactlymypoint Let me take the counter view. I was all set to buy an XD because I liked the idea of a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grip Safety- Necessary or Just a Warm Feeling?

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    Let me take the counter view.

I was all set to buy an XD because I liked the idea of a grip safety. As far as safeties go, it is a good idea. But someone brought to my attention that if you do not hold the gun just right, you cannot fire it. Not a problem in say competition or at the range, but what happens if you get into a (gun) fight, and your hand is injured? You cannot hold the gun properly to grip the safety and therefore cannot fire it to maybe save your life. But if you had, say a Glock, you could still fire a gun.

Just something to think about.
    it doesn't take much at all to depress the xd's grip safety. if when you're re-holstering the weapon you put all the pressure on the sides of the handle and keep the web of your thumb off the gun, it would prevent against AD from a limb or other obstruction say if you were shooting in the woods. and XD's, at least the .40 and .45s, are not very susceptible to limp-wristing, and will fire just fine with any grip strong enough to hold the gun up.

i would also say that it is a handy additional feature that will prevent AD if you were to drop the weapon and the trigger safety failed--redundancies are always nice to have when it comes to mechanical devices.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Personally, I don't care much for grip safeties, but I can definitely understand some people's desire (for lack of a better word) for guns that have them.

But I have no room to talk here. I carry a Sig.

<---I have the evil post count right now.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    It's part of the gun, take it or leave it. Personally, I like it, especially for IWB carry. Too often you hear of officers holstering a traditional DAO or DA/SA off safe and getting a piece of their jacket or uniform in the holster with the gun. It may not mean an immediate ND, but somewhere along the line their body may shift and cause the fabric to pull the trigger. With the grip safety, the officer is far less likely to blow a hole in his hip, and I liken this to getting my cover garment (light shirt or whatnot) stuck the same way. While I would still own the gun if it were not introduced with this feature, I do feel it is a key feature to the design and overall appeal of the XD.

1943 - 2009
    I don't recall his name at the moment but he was the inspiration for the Chuck Norris movie "Lone Wolf McQuade".
    Oh, please spare us...

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Grip safeties are a very good and ingenious idea. They are stupid simple (see hard to mess up) and useful weather you see it is a peace of mind, or an actual safety feature.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Warm and fuzzy, and a detriment to those of us who can shoot with our toes.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

good thing

A thing to keep in mind is that the XD is not exactly a double action handgun. The trigger ONLY releases the striker from it's fully cocked position. From my experiences, removing the grip safety on one would be like using a 1911 without a thumb safety, without a grip safety and minor comfort with an added trigger safety. I do not consider the XD to be safe without the grip safety.

FYI, I carry a Kahr MK9 IWB daily.

I'm not going to say anyone else's opinions are necessarily wrong, just that I am going to have disagreements with some of you.

I had an XD45 Compact. Nice gun, but a bit heavy for what it was. Never really warmed up to the grip safety...it locked the slide unless it was depressed. I figured simpler is better, so I sold the XD and got a new Glock 30SF. Couldn't be happier, same capacity as the XD, smaller, lighter, more parts available, feels better balanced to me. (XD always seemed a bit top heavy)

I figure the grip safety could not be fully depressed in a gunfight with a less-than-perfect grip, preventing the gun from firing. Maybe such a fear is unfounded, but I certainly don't have to worry about it anymore. I'll rely on safe gun handling practices to prevent a ND and keep my fighting pistols as simple as possible. (Glock, Kahr, S&W J-frame)
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    I have no hardcore opinion on them.

If a gun I like has one; fine.

If it doesn't. Just as fine.

Distinguished Member
    I'am still a "young'un" to CCW, so because of my lack of years of experience, yes I like them, especially while doing my practice draws. XD was my first gun I purchased with-out a safety, so it helped with that mental thing of getting past the safety issue.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Oh, please spare us...
    I did a bit of research on the Texas Rangers website and now have a name for you. Captain M.T. "Lone Wolf" Gonzaullas of company B, February 1940 - July 1951. I did not mean that the Chuck Norris movie was about him only that it was loosely based on some of his exploits. The captain by the way believed that his two Colt 1911 .45s were the best fighting handguns a man could own bar none. Who could've argued with him, he sent many criminals to their graves that thought otherwise. Also that movie was awful and cheesy and did not do justice to the Texas Ranger law enforcement officers.
    God bless our troops!

my kimber's grip safety is not hard to disengage, i have the standard high back not the upgraded one like my sister's 1911, which i don't think it is an upgrade because her pistol has to be gripped tightly to engage the trigger. i am confident that if i had to shoot it with no thumb. the grip safety is factory fitted no modification. and spring is a wilson bullet proof. i am not crazy about the xd though b/c it is in the middle to grip.

.02$

jim
    "As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence."
    Benjamin Franklin

Best way to sum up my feelings on the grip safety issue is that it will not stop me from buying a 1911 or a Springfield XD nor would the lack of a grip safety stop me from buying a Browning Hi Power or a Glock. I still believe that the best safety is the person holding the gun.
    God bless our troops!

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I ccw a 1911 and have on and off for 40 years.
    I carry "Condition Zero"
    Yeah, I like the grip safety, a lot.

Gee, it's just like a Glock that way.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links