Grip Safety- Necessary or Just a Warm Feeling?

This is a discussion on Grip Safety- Necessary or Just a Warm Feeling? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have only owned one pistol (Springfield XD40) and I really like the grip safety. Do you guys think the grip safety is a good ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grip Safety- Necessary or Just a Warm Feeling?

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

I have only owned one pistol (Springfield XD40) and I really like the grip safety. Do you guys think the grip safety is a good idea or is it just a way to make us feel warm & fuzzy?

Senior Moderator
    The grip safety is certainly a useful safety feature, IMHO.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

An excellent way to have yet another AD/ND prevention device......even IF the finger is #1...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Let me take the counter view.

I was all set to buy an XD because I liked the idea of a grip safety. As far as safeties go, it is a good idea. But someone brought to my attention that if you do not hold the gun just right, you cannot fire it. Not a problem in say competition or at the range, but what happens if you get into a (gun) fight, and your hand is injured? You cannot hold the gun properly to grip the safety and therefore cannot fire it to maybe save your life. But if you had, say a Glock, you could still fire a gun.

Just something to think about.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

On an XD (or any traditional DA/SA pistol) I think it is superfluous. On a SA semi-auto that I'm going to carry cocked and locked (read that 1911), then I welcome the extra margin of safety it imparts - real or imagined. John Browning designed the gun with it for a purpose, I'm not about to think I know more than he did.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I appreciate that extra safety every time I reholster in my Smartcarry, or am involved in some physical contortion that might put some pressure on the gun, even in an IWB.

At some point I'll probably own a Glock, but having a grip safety on a gun I own now isn't a bad thing.

somewhere between Superflous and detrimental....

Safety marketing points?

One of the traditional objections by some gun buyers to the design of the Glock pistols is that they don't seem very safe, as they don't have any obvious manual safety devices. Glock probably loses some potential buyers over this point.

The Springfield XD, which was introduced as a direct competitor to Glock at a slightly lower price, evidently tried to capitalize on this perceived safety weakness of Glock by adding a grip safety in addition to the Glock-like trigger safety on the XD. I noticed today on the Springfield website that in 2008 they are also offering a thumb safety on the XD. So Springfield has some safety "talking points" when selling against rival Glock.

I don't think a grip safety is really required on the XD, but then I own two Glocks and haven't had a problem yet.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Administrator
    It's just one of those things that would really not bother me if it was missing. I could take it or leave it.

One of the older custom modifications was just to simply pin it down.

The old solid aftermarket backstrap that totally eliminated the 1911 grip safety by just extending the mainspring housing up to flow right into a beavertail is not being made anymore.

I had one on one of my older .45s but, frame disassembly was a PITA so I dumped it. (at a Very Nice) profit By the way.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

1943 - 2009
    Do you guys think the grip safety is a good idea?
    The designers of the XD apparently thought it was.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

As with any additional feature (i.e. safety) on a firearm there are potential pros & cons. Some already mentioned. Personally, I don't find they give me a "warm feeling". The only guns I own w/ grip safeties are 1911's. I wouldn't be adverse to buying a polymer gun such as XD with a grip safety. Though, if I'd had a choice, I would elect to go without.
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

While I feel that the Springfield XDs are every bit as good as the Glock pistols, I have never found the grip safety to be necessary. I believe the Springfield XD has the grip safety in order to enhance military sales as was the case with the Colt 1911 .45. I know that a famous Texas Ranger carried a pair of Colt .45s with rubber bands around the grips to deactivate the grip safeties. One day the captain had a prisoner who was riding on the back of his horse handcuffed, the bad guy had slipped his bonds and began to beat the ranger with the handcuffs. The captain drew one of his .45s and tried in vain to shoot the dirty bum from behind him. His grip on the pistol was such that the grip safety was not depressed and therefore he could not get his automatic to fire. It was only after he was nearly unconscious and fell off the horse that he was able to get a proper grip on the his Colt and shoot to save his life. From that day forward, he deactivated the safeties with rubber bands. I don't recall his name at the moment but he was the inspiration for the Chuck Norris movie "Lone Wolf McQuade". I remember reading about him in one of the gun magazines some time back. Like QKShooter said before about taking it or leaving it is how I also feel about grip safeties.
    God bless our troops!

Administrator
    On a XD they are a waste of time and effort IMO. But, if it gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling, more power to ya.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    Let me take the counter view.

I was all set to buy an XD because I liked the idea of a grip safety. As far as safeties go, it is a good idea. But someone brought to my attention that if you do not hold the gun just right, you cannot fire it. Not a problem in say competition or at the range, but what happens if you get into a (gun) fight, and your hand is injured? You cannot hold the gun properly to grip the safety and therefore cannot fire it to maybe save your life. But if you had, say a Glock, you could still fire a gun.

Just something to think about.

I really don't think this is an issue. If you have the gun in your hand in a position that you are able to fire it, that grip safety is pushed in. I'm sitting here with my XD trying to find a circumstance where I could have my grip on the gun securely enough to fire and have the safety not be deactivated, and I can't do it. It seems any time you have a grip on the gun, that safety us easily deactivated.

Remember The Idiot that dropped His pistol at Dinner a couple of weeks ago. His glock went off when he tried to catch It, if he had an XD it would not have fired. Luckily no one was hurt.
    I know A glock, in a shooters hand is fine, But when you start thinking that everyone needs a gun it get's scary! Most people need all the safety devices you can give them, and for some it won't be enough.
    Just read some of the Range stories on here.
    I'll take the XD....JMO
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links