Kahr CW9, CW45?

Kahr CW9, CW45?

This is a discussion on Kahr CW9, CW45? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Gang, The fiancee is out of the state this weekend, so I was cruising the local gun shops/pawn shops for pistols and I found 3 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr CW9, CW45?

Mo [OP]

Kahr CW9, CW45?

Gang,

The fiancee is out of the state this weekend, so I was cruising the local gun shops/pawn shops for pistols and I found 3 pistols that I wanted, all at the same place. In decending order of want:

NIB CW9 for $449
    NIB CW45 for $495
    Used Glock 27 w/2 mags for $449

The Glock had holster wear and some frame scuffs. If it was like new I would have walked out with it, but I would rate it 85% cosmetically. I'm sure the interiors are fine but if I have to explain a $450 purchase to her when she gets back, I'd like it to look new.

Any thoughts on which of these is the best deal? This would be a CCW piece, obviously.

If you are on a tight budget, then go with the CW9 as ammunition will be cheaper. If you are an experienced shooter and money is no problem, go with the CW45. The CW45 will have significant recoil as compared to the CW9. The Glock 27 .40 is a very good weapon but again, probably not the best choice if you are new to shooting.
    God bless our troops!

Mo [OP]
    I wish I could shoot the CW45. I've shot the G36 and liked it, but I hear the polymer 45s from Kahr pack a wallop, and I believe it when you consider the thin frame and light weight. I'm leaning toward the CW9 because I'm a big fan of that round, and trust it to do the job with modern ammo. It's also a bit thinner and lighter than the CW45.

I don't have any other 40s, so I'm not really leaning in that direction becaue it would mean stocking another caliber. Already have a 9mm and a 45, so that wouldn't be an issue for the Kahrs. Currently I carry a S&W snubbie all week and an XD or 1911 on the weekends. I think the CW9 would be a great upgrade for office carry, with maybe the j-frame weakside - maybe even instead of an extra Kahr mag.

Thumbs up

CW9!

And more mags...
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

+1 on the CW9

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    I have a Polymer Kahr in .40. It kicks like a mule, though I can shoot it fairly well. I recommend the 9. I will probably get one myself.

cw9 is a very nice little gun and just disappears on your side =o)

The big plus for Kahr's CW series is that they have conventional rifleing as opposed to the polygonal rifleing in all other Kahr's and Glocks.

Since I'm a handloader, this is a big deal. Polygonal bores are supposed to be used only with jacketed bullets. In conventional bores, it's OK to shoot lead. Since casting my own bullets is far less expensive than purchasing jacketed ones, I'm a huge fan of the Kahr CW.

As soon as I can find a CW45 I'm going to offer the guy an even trade for my P45. In the short run, I'll loose; in the long run, I'll win.
    The Edge ... there's no honest way to describe it. The only ones who know where it is have gone over.

I like kahr quality and weight....but no 2nd strike capability....I would say glock out of the 3 choices.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

I just recently purchased a CW9, and although I've not fired it just yet, it still feels great. I like it's ergonomics, even with my somewhat large hands, and it's a breeze to bring up to picture.

Dave

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I'd go with the Kahr as well, I have two and find them to have the best DAO trigger I've ever shot, thinnest, no controls to goof up (except a slide release lever), both my kahrs are the most accurate guns I have despite their diminutive size (P9 & MK9). I too love the 9mm round for a balance between cost, effectiveness and shootability. The P9 is a bit snappy even in 9mm so I can believe others who say in .45 it's a handful. Also, the Glock is a LOT thicker so concealing will be easier with the Kahr.

Used to carry a Glock now CW9 lots more easy for all day long.
    SASS LIFE
    LEAA
    BOLD#252
    NRA LIFE
    RO I & II

Another vote for the CW9. Just got one myself last week and love it already. Very slim and easily concealable. And such a sweet trigger! I have a CZ RAMI which is roughly the same size/shape as the G26/36 and the Kahr is much easier to hide. The recoil isn't bad with the 9mm, but I can't imagine it would be much fun with a .45 (though I've never shot a .45 smaller than my Colt Commander). Good luck.
    -LP-
    "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama (May 15, 2001, The Seattle Times)

I love my CW9. The only glock I've fired was the glock 19, but it just didn't feel right in my hands. CW9 plus Hogue Jr. feels like it was tailored for me. The CW45 is slightly thicker and I think you lose a round in the magazine, also ammo is just ridiculously expensive.

Heavily armed.
    Collection: Kahr CW9, M&P 15-22, Walther P22, Glock 19.
    Sold: XD9 4'', Kimber 1911 Series II compact, FNP-9
    Shopping list: Springfield EMP 9mm, M&P 15 .223

I also carry a CW 9 and love it. Make sure you get a spare mag. For some reason it only comes with 1. I got the 8 round mag with the grip extender. I carry it in a Galco clip on with a spare mag holder.
    Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links