380 Bersa review & questions

This is a discussion on 380 Bersa review & questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Picked up a .380 Bersa for the wife last night at Cabalas. A case of the .380 on her is better than the .45 at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Picked up a .380 Bersa for the wife last night at Cabalas. A case of the .380 on her is better than the .45 at home. Very nice fit and finish over all trigger is not too bad. Cleaning it was an experience, had that dipped in oil look. The fixed barrel was interesting and may contribute to accuracy. Reassembly was a chore and I scratched the outside of the barrel before I got her put back together, ticked me off. It is not like anything I have seen before. Once I had it figured out it was no problem. After the cleaning & degreasing I took her out back and ran a box of ammo through her. She is plenty accurate at 25 feet, will expand the range next time out. Today was just to get a feel for her. Over all she was pleasant to shoot but I did have two stove pipes and two failure to feed out of a box of 50 rounds, 95gr FMJ American Eagle. Not exactly confidence inspiring. Not sure if it was operator error, the ammo or the gun. Or if this is common during Bersa break in? That would be my first question. Next would be does anyone any recommendations for .380 carry ammo? Could not find any Federal HST which is my #1 choice for the .45 & 9mm. Any one use Auto Remington Golden Saber?
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

First off congrats on the bersa, get the cc or the regular? I have both bersas and they do require a break-in period. Also the bersas are prone to limp-wristing. I had a few ftfs when I first started learning the bersas. Now, I have no trouble whatsoever with either of them. The bersa is a great gun, never had any problem with the finish, never had any mechanical problems that weren't user error, such as limp-wristing. Mags are a pain to find and are costly when you do find them, but otherwise no complaints. I suggest paying attention to limp-wristing, and see if that corrects the problem, also give it a small break-in perion, our took about 200 rounds each. I know experienced shooters don't limp-wrist, but I was an experienced shooter when I fist got the bersas, and sure enough my ccw instructor caught me limp-wristing, pointed it out to me, and I had no problems afterwards. I had used my bersa for class.

P.S. I use powerballs in my bersas, and have been pretty happy with them.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    I will assume that you have the BT-380. The 380 is one gun, that if you do any limp wristing at all, will let you know about it. FWIW. The recoil spring has 2 different size ends. Check out each end as you put it over the barrel. The smaller end goes towards the rear of the barrel. If put on backwards, it develops some extraction problems. Also, on re-assembly, if you keep the end of the spring on the top as you put it into the frame, it will go together a whole lot better than if you have the end in any other position. Most of them usually take 300 or so rounds to get where you can start to trust them. My own 380 is loaded with the Ranger JHP, eats them like candy.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

My buddy uses the Bersa as his main carry because of it's small size. He's never had a feeding problem. He is relatively new to firearms so I helped him out when he first bought it and I had the same reaction to some of the Bersa idiosyncrasies, but when all was said and done, it really is a nice little gun for the money. I'd second the advice to check the recoil spring. The dealer made mention of that when my friend picked his up. Also, for carry ammo, I'd do whatever I could to find the Federal HST's. Last time I picked them up when I hadmy Sig P232, they were about $20 a box, but I still think that is the best carry ammo out there. I ended up giving my last 2 boxes of HST .380's to my friend when I traded in my SIG on my XD, and we ran a couple of mags through it to make sure it would feed properly, and it fed as smooth as butter. So, even if you have to special order it, I'd say it was worth it, but that's just my opinion.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

no problems with my 380 bersa... about 400 rounds without a problem.

Picked up a 9mmuc yesterday

the ammo might be the poblem. mine feeds the walmart whinchester white box with no problems ever.

Thanks all. Its the full size Thunder 380. If you can call it full size. Did not see any compacts. Thing is already tiny. She is a pretty little thing reminds me of the old Walther PPK. I did not even know it had a fixed barrel until we got home. The wife saw it and liked how it felt in her hand, had no problem working the slide and liked the trigger. So based on what you all have said about the Bersa being a good gun, we picked her up on the spot. Does seem surprisingly well made for a $200 gun and the wife is happy with it and that is what really counts.

As far as the stove pipes & FTF etc. Thanks for the input. I could very well have been my limp wristing it. I may have gotten too happy emptying the mag one handed inside the ten ring. She dropped right back on target every time, sweet as can be. Don't for see my wife having any problem putting all eight in COM. That is the only thing that had me worried with such a small caliber. So far we are liking her alot.
    Now the down side is I was shocked to find out that Wally World practice ammo for the .380 is only a buck or so cheaper than 45. What is with that? Also can not find any Federal HST in .380. If you know of a source that you would be willing to share I appreciate it. Did find some.380 Auto Winchester Supreme SXT 95gr. Hollow Point Ammo at Ammunition to go. Is that the same as Winchester Ranger SXT? If not looks like we will settle on Golden Sabers. Cabelas has some Remington Golden Saber at a decent price.
    Cheaper Than Dirt has some .380 Bersa mags any recommendations? The first one has some really bad reviews

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

The Bersa is great firearm. I've had my Thunder Plus for several months and haven't had a problem with it. Fires, handles, and carries great. It was a bear for me to reassemble at first too, until I "broke the code" and learned the proper method. Now it's no problem.

For magazines, I'd suggest yourgunparts.com. had mine delievered in two days.

It is not uncommon to have feeding issues during the first 100 rounds or so. But sometimes these do not go away. If the jams occur only on the last 2 rounds in the magazine, it is not limp-wristing, its either the ammo or the gun. Many of these pistols are ammo picky.

Quote Originally Posted by JG01 View Post

+1 for ~ YourGunParts.com ~

Bersas don't like aftermarket mags, so if you get another - be sure to get a "BERSA" Mag.

We have a BT380 and a BT380cc. I ordered grips for the standard 380 and an extra mag for the 380cc.

Michael from yourgunparts.com called me the next morning to check the order --> because a 380cc mag won't work in an 380 standard size. I explained we had 2 BTs and was ordering the grips for one and the mag for the other.

I appreciated the time and effort he took to make sure I hadn't been confused or ordered the wrong item by mistake! You don't get that kind of personal attention to detail from a many online stores!

Quote Originally Posted by JG01 View Post
    +5 These guys are great. They ship fast and have just about the best customer service I have ever dealt with.
    Also check out bersatalk.com Lost of good bersa info and discussions there. They also have a member buy/sell area that has a magazine up for sale every once in a blue moon.

Love my Bersas
    Attached Images
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

I have the regular Bersa 380 and really like it. I've had FTF's about one round in every other magazine for the first 200 rounds or so, but now it's rare. I use the CorBon 380 hollow point ammo. Mine hated the Speer Gold Dot ammo.

I've had two Bersa Thunder .380s. One was the Thunder, the one I have now is a Firestorm .380. Only difference is the sights and trigger guard.

Both of them are excellent guns IMO, never had any issues with them
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

They are not shooters in the same way that most modern semi-autos are and they can definitely be finicky when it comes to ammo. You might be interested in getting the Deluxe 9-round mag for it or the aftermarket wraparound grips with finger grooves. I had to send my Bersa in twice within the first year after parts broke and I was not very impressed with their warranty repair center. When it comes to self-defense ammo, you'd be better off using FMJ to get the penetration you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaystekan View Post
    +5 These guys are great. They ship fast and have just about the best customer service I have ever dealt with.
    Also check out bersatalk.com Lost of good bersa info and discussions there. They also have a member buy/sell area that has a magazine up for sale every once in a blue moon.

Love my Bersas
    Thanks will check both. Where did you get the wood grips? They are nice looking. I have not been able to find any Bersa grips not even at the ~ YourGunParts.com ~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links