Police downsizing ammunition

This is a discussion on Police downsizing ammunition within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just bought a Glock 19. (More details on that in another thread.) I called a gun store and asked if they had a Glock ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Police downsizing ammunition

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

I just bought a Glock 19. (More details on that in another thread.) I called a gun store and asked if they had a Glock 19 in stock. I really didn't expect him to say no, but he said, "I have one left....no wait. It just sold. I don't know when I will be getting any more in. The police are downsizing their guns from .40s to 9mm and buying them all up because the ammunition is cheaper."

Anyone else heard this?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    not so much because ammo is cheaper, but because its easier to get everybody to shoot well with a 9mm.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Works for me, means more .40 cal ammo for me to shoot!! I realize they save money by going to the 9mm, but myself I prefer the added stopping power of the 40 cal. I know shot placement is primary concern for stops but I want all the advantage I can get. As to getting everyone to shoot well. If they can't shoot a .40 what makes them think they will be able to shoot a 9mm any better?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    As to getting everyone to shoot well. If they can't shoot a .40 what makes them think they will be able to shoot a 9mm any better?
    Its a lot easier to get non shooters to do well with a 9mm over a 40. 40 is the toughest of the three common selections (9, 40 and 45) to get the masses to shoot really well.

Even I shoot a 9mm or 45 better than I shoot a 40; and I shoot about a case a month and at one time I'd do a case a week or more when prepping for an event.

Have you ever shot a G19 and G23 side by side? Its a lot different, especially if you are recoil sensitive.

Granted, it shouldnt make a difference because the mechanics remain the same, but humans are not machines and have involuntary quirks.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Agree with Sixto.

I do think .40 could be improved a great deal if ammo makers would tweak them.

Since I'm not a .45 guy, I don't know the full array of ammo choices available in that round, but it is my understanding that there are plenty of varieties to chose from. It is more limited in .40.

Not to sound like a broken record because I've made the following comment before--- Blazer once produced a 125 grain .40. I loved it. Can't get it anymore.

Hey, if anyone in the ammo biz reads this---think good defensive round with lower recoil in .40.

In a place you've only dreamed of where your soul is always free...
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    not so much because ammo is cheaper, but because its easier to get everybody to shoot well with a 9mm.
    Wish that was true for me. After running through a paycheck worth of ammo at the range today, I again confirmed that my XD .40sc makes tighter groups than my full size Ruger P89 at 25 yds.
    Let's wait until after allergy season to talk about my AR-15 groupings at 100yds. Hard to shoot well when your eyes are itchy and watery.
    Law without force is impotent.
    Blaise Pascal

NYC LEO told me that their main carry gun is the Glock 19 w/Speer Gold dot 124+p. Backup is a 642. Some have SIGS and some M&Ps.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    First let me say that I wish I went shooting half as much as Sixto, but there is no way I could afford it.

I just wanted to add that, even though I shoot my 4506 good enough, I shoot my P229 in .40 much better. For me, it's also dependent upon the ammo. When I slowfire practice the 229 with my carry ammo, Winchester Ranger T-Series, I shoot out the center of the target. I can't do that with WWB. It's difficult for me to even get cloverleafs with the 4506 using T-Series or HSTs.

But to add a caveat, it could also be the gun. My 4506 is a nice straight shooter, but the grips are a bit thin for my liking. I like the fatter grip on the 229, I think it helps me shoot better. So until I shoot a Sig 220 in .45, I can't say for sure that I'm better with .40.

I find it highly amusing. Understand I am not bashing the .40 but I had always thought of it as a solution looking for a problem, mostly because of how it came to be. Some day I might even own one, but right now I have other stuff I need to buy first.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

HKR
    I went looking for some G-19 mags in a shop that usually keeps a good supply back in April. Not only was he out of them, but he said that G-19s and G-26s with nightsites were back ordered at all three of his distributers. He had plenty of them with regular sights for $489, but he said when and if he could get a G-19/26 with NS they would be $599. He sells a LOT of Glocks and had always been straight with me. YMMV.

Distinguished Member
    After shooting my brothers P-99 in 40, it helped me decide on the 9-mm, just not as sharp of a kick to it. The way I looked at it was the 9mm is more fun to shoot, and less expensive to shoot, and held more ammo. I do not feel "under gunned" but I have not needed to pull my weapon. If the day ever comes, I am sure no matter what I carried, I would still feel under gunned.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Echoing what Sixto said, I too have always been more accurate with the 9mm and .45 than the .40 caliber. Also older folks and people with arthritis find the 9mm much more pleasant to shoot and are able to practice more often with this caliber.
    God bless our troops!

Quote Originally Posted by mtnfreak View Post
    Wish that was true for me. After running through a paycheck worth of ammo at the range today, I again confirmed that my XD .40sc makes tighter groups than my full size Ruger P89 at 25 yds.
    Let's wait until after allergy season to talk about my AR-15 groupings at 100yds. Hard to shoot well when your eyes are itchy and watery.
    a little off topic (ok well off topic) but if you don't want to wait to shoot outside, have your doc get you a perscription for allergy meds. It was godawful for me the past month with the pollen. Now Im taking Nasonex and Allegra and boy I can throw myself in a pile of pollen with no problem. Which is good because until now I couldnt go play at my friends backyard range cause of allergies.
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnfreak View Post

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    First let me say that I wish I went shooting half as much as Sixto, but there is no way I could afford it.

I just wanted to add that, even though I shoot my 4506 good enough, I shoot my P229 in .40 much better. For me, it's also dependent upon the ammo. When I slowfire practice the 229 with my carry ammo, Winchester Ranger T-Series, I shoot out the center of the target. I can't do that with WWB. It's difficult for me to even get cloverleafs with the 4506 using T-Series or HSTs.

But to add a caveat, it could also be the gun. My 4506 is a nice straight shooter, but the grips are a bit thin for my liking. I like the fatter grip on the 229, I think it helps me shoot better. So until I shoot a Sig 220 in .45, I can't say for sure that I'm better with .40.

You have to compare apples to apples. A XD and a Ruger has a light years difference between the gun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Going along with the original thread here:
    I thought some police departments nationwide were going to the 45Gap? Maybe I'm missing something? I'm thinking of going to the 40 for my USPSA matches to get into the major class vs the minor in 9mm. I'll continue to buy 9mm over the counter though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links