I am now the best dad in the whole world

This is a discussion on I am now the best dad in the whole world within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The original intention of today was to purchase my son his high school graduation gift. He decided that he wanted a Beretta 92fs. He has ...

Thread: I am now the best dad in the whole world

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

The original intention of today was to purchase my son his high school graduation gift. He decided that he wanted a Beretta 92fs. He has one in an airsoft version, but has never held or fired a real one. So before we bought him a non-returnable item that he may not like, we decide to go to a gun range and fire it to see if it fits his hands and he likes the way it feels when he fires it.

We arrived at the gun shop to look at the Beretta and maybe some other alternatives for my son. He looked at the Beretta which felt real good in his hands, Sigs, Springfields, Kimbers and an assortment of others. His first choice was still the Beretta. The sales clerk wanted to write the whole thing up right there, but I asked him if we could first go to the gun range, rent the Beretta and make sure my son wanted it before we bought it. He agreed that was a good idea. So off we went.

This was the first time I had visited this particular indoor gun range. It was associated with the county police department and their headquarters was just across the street. They rent all sorts of guns and we had our pick…except for a Beretta. Between yesterday and today, the gun broke and they were not planning on fixing it. That of course threw a kink into our master plan. My son ended up renting a Sig p239, just to get the feel of a 9mm. After firing it, he made the decision to go ahead an buy the Beretta.

We went back to the gun shop, bought the gun and returned to the firing range. They were really cool. They did not charge us another range fee.

My son was a little apprehensive about not liking the Beretta but after firing his first magazine, he was in heaven. He loves the way the gun shoots. Below is his first 15 rounds at about 25 feet.

He reluctantly consented to let me fire the next set. The gun is a dream to shoot. It feels good in my hand and the recoil is almost negligible. I just didn’t like racking of the slide to chamber the first round. The placement of the safety seems awkward and because I wasn’t expecting those protrusions (being a Glock guy), I kind of skinned my left hand a bit.

He of course does not officially get it until June 7, but he is thrilled with his gift. This may even encourage him a bit to get a job so he can earn money to buy ammo, accessories, classes, etc.

Attached Images
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

AWESOME!!! I know how your son feels. My USP was my high school graduation gift!

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    You are a terrific Dad. I did the same for my son except it was a Llama .45 auto. He got one that workss perfectly. He shot the heckaroonie out of it, went 82nd Airborne, then college, then was called up after 911, made the jump on Balad, and is now in Major League baseball.
    Gun savy kids often do well.

I very nice gift and a good group too!

My brother got a Colt for his graduation gift from my Dad. Still has it too. There's just something about Dad buying you your first gun that makes it special.

Congrates!

Distinguished Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Wow, that's a great graduation gift! How did you like the range?

Best Dad in the world.......? Oh man, now you've gone and done it! Before long he'll be having all those 'homeless' firearms following him home, he'll end up 'helping' his future girlfriends daddies 'clean' thier guns ......properly, and have all his friends wanting thier CWL's in two or three years.

Shoot, before long he'll be joining and posting here.

Bravo Zulu Dad!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

"Sometimes when you're making gumbo, people just show up.", Leah Chase

The 92 is a great pistol to start up with...and keep for a long long time, always remembering when he got it and who he got it from...way to go Dad!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

That's a cool gift, I wish my dad would get me anything that cool. Italian-made nonetheless. I like Berettas myself.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Senior Moderator
    Nice gift, nice choice, nice grouping...I'd say that you just added another important piece to your home defense plan.

Stay armed...encourage everyone in the family to be armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

There are great dads and then there are dads such as yourself. Great gift and great grouping. Congrats to him and you. He will enjoy himself, but more importantly be safe.
    Last edited by 1YoungGunna; May 4th, 2008 at 03:39 PM. Reason: mistake
    Guns Don't Kill People.........Trauma To Vital Organs & Loss Of Blood Kill People

Carried the M-9 for many years in the Air Force. It will always hold a special place in my heart. When I finally added a 92FS to my safe last year, my 13 year old son was skeptical. Up to this point, all he had shot, besides his Ruger .22, was my SA XD9, which he loves.

Needless to say, he loved the Beretta and now thinks I will hand it down to him when he's 18. (Obviously he'll be getting his own just as your son did.)

Well done, Dad!

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    I'm not a real fan of 9MM but you just added something to home defense that money cant buy, and from the looks of the grouping apparently he has learned very well :)
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

great dad indeed! awesome gift. I intend to make sure my son has the neccessary tools to protect himself and family.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    Great job I remember when my dad and I went and picked up our Springfield XD .45 Went in there to get a pair a cuffs for work and then dad walked over and asked me how I liked it and I told him I loved it and he said good. Its yours and he got one of his own and so like they say like father like son. Your son will enjoy his new addiction but warn him it can be very expensive as time goes on.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    That is a great graduation gift. I still have the first firearm my dad bought me... a Marlin 336 30-30 lever action. and I received a Browning Gold Hunter shotgun for a graduation gift from chiro school from my father in law, who is now deceased....I cherish both of them
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links