Need some advice on high end guns.

This is a discussion on Need some advice on high end guns. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; That's great news, Jack, congratulations. Me, I'd go with the Les Baer and I'd get it through John at Pro Load Distributors , you won't ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need some advice on high end guns.

OD*
    That's great news, Jack, congratulations.

Me, I'd go with the Les Baer and I'd get it through John at Pro Load Distributors, you won't find a better fella to deal with.
    Last edited by OD*; May 6th, 2008 at 03:08 PM.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

2. Remove Ads

I'd go with either one of the Nighthawk Talons. IMHO, they have a lot of really neat options for the price. (Checkered back of slide, serrated top)

[b]tada!!![\b]

Just got home from the shop. Of the brands I was interested in, the only ones they had in stock were Nighthawk and Wilson (though they offered to order anything I wanted).

They had two really nice Wilson Protectors in .45 and .38 Super but they're bull barrels. The one CQB they had was fullsize and had an OD frame with a black slide.

So what did I get????? A Nighthawk Custom Talon III !!!
    I'd planned to just price them and then shop around a while but the T3 was soooooo sweet I just had to have it. I took a few quick pics but I didn't have time to clean it before hand so you'll see some excess oil in spots.

Check out the flush cut slide release and chamfered hole:

Lima's right, they do an amazing barrel crown:

I can't wait to get this little sweetheart to the range, hopefully I'll get up there Thursday or Friday. Thanks to all of you for your input, it helped quite a lot.
    Jack

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I can just say congrats on getting your condition recognized/ paid for . I can understand the desire to own once in a life a " high end pistol " and dont look down on it . However as a fella who has traded into and out of a lot of " high end " guns Ill say buy a good gun that suits you and invest the balance . Put with the right investment co your one gun investment will grow to a 2 or maby 10 gun investment in a surprising few years . Great guns are fantastic to own , and invest a sense of pride while you own them . However a good gun is cheap ( when you compare ) and with a couple hundred bucks of smithing does everything a " great gun " will do equally well without paying for the name or features/smithing you have no use for . I dont care if my 1911 was voted best in the sandbox , and takes every porch light known to man . I dont serve in the sandbox and thusly cannot vote on the limited pistols that show up , i also dont care if i can bolt a phaser or a tazer to my pistol . Buy a good gun at a reasonable price and bank the balance . Let them that need to brag on the pistol because you will note that most of them dont want to talk skills . Just like guns dont cause crime or shoot people by them selves , they wont win a gunfight by them selves either .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

OD*
    Congratulations, Jack.

Nothing quite like a top shelf weapon, you'll feel the difference as soon as you shoot it.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I didn't contribute earlier because I don't know enough about top end weapons to be of any help, however, that is one fine lookin pistol you got there. Congrats on it.

I'll need to keep this thread in mind, because after my 7 month "vacation" I have coming up, I want to spend a month's pay on a 1911.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I am glad things pulled through in your favor. All the high-end 1911s you have listed are exquisite firearms. While I can’t particularly afford any of them, I must echo others’ selection of the Ed Brown Kobra Carry. However, you done good with the Nighthawk Custom Talon III. Congrats!

I really wanted to check out the Ed Brown Carry models but no luck. i know I probably overpaid for it but I figure I'll never be in a better position to get one. Now I have to buy new Wilson mags, 'cause all of mine are Gov't length.

The grip frame is just a little shorter than a fullsize since they added a mag well but it fits my hand perfectly. I'm not sure if regular Officer's grips will fit this or if they'd need to be trimmed down. And since it's not stainless, I can't tell if ivory grips would look right on it or not.
    Jack

That's a beauty, grats, and report back after your range trip!!

Well, I just noticed while reading Nighthawk's website that what I've got isn't exactly a "Talon III," it's a new model called the "T3." I guess the big T3 on the slide probably should've been a clue, huh?

It's listed right after the Heinie PDP model. Seems like it's a Talon III with a few additional premium features: Flush cut and chamfered slide stop, Heinie Slant-Pro Straight Eight nightsights, etc.. They call it their "Ultimate Carry Pistol." I thought I'd overpaid by a bit but it looks like I got it for a few bucks under MSRP.

Still looks like a Talon III to me though.
    Jack

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    That is one sweet 1911! It makes me happy just looking at it.

There's an outstanding review and better pics at The M-1911 Pistols Organization E-zine . Now I'm really itching to hit the range!
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    So what did I get????? A Nighthawk Custom Talon III !!!
    I'd planned to just price them and then shop around a while but the T3 was soooooo sweet I just had to have it. I took a few quick pics but I didn't have time to clean it before hand so you'll see some excess oil in spots.
    Congrats Jack, that is a thing of beauty! No doubt you earned something special for yourself. Having seen friends endure the same ordeal as you have. I have a great deal of empathy for any working man who having paid his dues, is required to go hat in hand as if he were begging to claim what he has paid for and spent a life time earning. Sorry you had to endure that and happy to see you made it through the other side. Back on topic, that is one fine weapon a true work of art, may it serve you well and bring you many hours of pleasure and joy.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Distinguished Member
    Congratulations and so glad it all worked out for the best. Lordy, but that Nighthawk looks purty! Still have one kid left in school and my wife says I can't have my mid-life crisis till the house is paid off. Sigh
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

--edit--

didn't read far enough to see that you bought one...hope it works for you.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links