Anyone here carry a S&W model 64/65 with a 3" barrel?

This is a discussion on Anyone here carry a S&W model 64/65 with a 3" barrel? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If so, what modifications did you make to improve it as a CCW? What grips do you use? Where did you get them? What holster ...

Thread: Anyone here carry a S&W model 64/65 with a 3" barrel?

Anyone here carry a S&W model 64/65 with a 3" barrel?

If so, what modifications did you make to improve it as a CCW?

What grips do you use? Where did you get them?

What holster would you recommend?

What defense ammo do you use? What ammo was the revolver designed for? Where did you get it online?

How well does it carry concealed on a day to day basis?

Pics of your gun with holster?

I have two, but the timing is off on one and the other has a damaged rear sight that I want to have a gunsmith work on.

2. Remove Ads

I have a M13 3 inch which is essentially the same gun but not stainless. I use Eagle Grips and I like a good Outside Holster instead of a IWB. It shoots well with whatever I put in it. I use Golden Sabers or 158gr CCI. Steve48

I think the Model 64 is the stainless version of the Model 10. This would be a fine carry choice as is. Change grips if you so desire, pick up a good holster and enjoy this fine revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridge Runner View Post

Double Action Only with "Bobbed Hammer", Trigger Job, Chamfer the Cylinder Holes and a custom Hi-Viz "type" Front Sight

I like Pac's for Rubber and Eagle "Secret Service Grips" for wood Bought them at the Gunstore and from Eagle

Milt Sparks Summer Special II

What defense ammo do you use? What ammo was the revolver designed for? Where did you get it online?

Black Hills 125 Grain JHP's or Remington 125 Grain SJHP
    I don't buy my ammo online

Very well

Sorry, but I don't do PICS. Also, bear in mind, I do not have a 64/65 as I couldn't find one when I wanted to buy a 3" gun. I selected a 3" Ruger GP100 and I'm basing my opinions on that and other various S&W's I have. I actually like the Ruger better than any K-Frame I've had.

I have two, but the timing is off on one and the other has a damaged rear sight that I want to have a gunsmith work on.
    I hope I was able to be of some help. Take care and stay safe.

Biker

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Dont carry them any more but i have carried k frames in the past , and the only mod i ever did for ccw is take off the target grips ( if so equipped ) and replace them . back then it was most likely with " standard grips " and a tyler t grip . For the young crowd the standard grips just covered the steel of the grip frame , and a tyler t grip was an attachment that had tabs that the grips would secure to keep it stable while it filled the space behind and below the trigger guard . With the grips avalable today the tgrip/standard stock combo is out of fashon . IMHO a 3" .357 is every bit as serious a gun as a 5" .45 .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    i have carried k frames in the past , and the only mod i ever did for ccw is take off the target grips ( if so equipped ) and replace them . back then it was most likely with " standard grips " and a tyler t grip . the tgrip/standard stock combo is out of fashon . " . .
    +1. The target grips don't feel as good to me as the standard grips do and I usually change them. I don't use the Tyler T grip. Not worried about fashion. I'll admit to being a bit out of fashion myself anyway.

GC
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridge Runner View Post

I have both a M13 and a M64, both 3" w/round butt. The K-frame 3" round butt is quickly gaining a cult like following and is a super fighting handgun. To answer your questions...

1) I use Ahrends Mordillo w/no finger grooves. These are attractive and classy, the workmanship is excellent. They fit my smallish/medium hands great and handle recoil and pointing the handgun well. I bought mine from D&J Gun Repair online.

2) I carry mine in an El Paso Saddlery #77 Tortilla.

3) Regarding packin' ammo, mine are stoked with Buffalo Bore 158 gr. LSWC-HP +P .38 Special. This +P stuff from BB gets about 1,100 fps from even these short barrels. Buffalo Bore has a website and many retailers stock the stuff. I think I bought mine from MidwayUSA.

Hope that helps...

S&W model 65

Thanks for the info guys. The holster information is the most important. It is hard to decide on a holster when you can not try it on.

Links