in the market for a snubnose

This is a discussion on in the market for a snubnose within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i have been looking at the S&W 642 or 638. Can some one give me some insite on why they would chose one over the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

i have been looking at the S&W 642 or 638. Can some one give me some insite on why they would chose one over the other.

thank you
    My Home Is Protected BY
    Mossberg and Kimber
    The People who Take a Bite out of Crime

1911 Ultra Carry .45 .40 and 9mm
    Mossy 590 12G

Just brought home a 637 yesterday. I was thinking of a 638, but I just couldn't grow to like the hump-back look. I know it's just asthetics, but I simply couldn't bring it home.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cnova View Post
    i have been looking at the S&W 642 or 638. Can some nne give me some insite on why they would chose one over the other.

thank you
    I have a SW 442 (blued version of 642).

It depends on whether you want the hammer totally concealed or a nub to shoot single action. Here's why I went with what I did. In a stressful situation, you are not going to cock the gun, you're gonna just fire away. I also like to train like it's the real thing, thus no single action shooting. In a stressful situation, most people revert back to their training. Also, I didn't want junk getting in the works behind the bobbed hammer.

I like the 642

I bought the 642.

1) This is a carry and I better learn to shoot it DA because that's the way I will use it if I ever need to use it.

2) I like the looks of the 642 better.

3) I liked the fact that the case of the 642 is sealed, which should help keep "stuff" out of the guts of the gun.

I am partial to the 638 myself. I like the looks of it actually. I bought it because just in case I ever want single action, I have it. Also if I am at the range I can use SA if I wish.

Occasionally lint and the like will get into the hammer area, but cleaning it out every week or so takes care of that.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

S&w 340pd .357

I bought a S&W 340PD .357 for my 24/7 carry piece and had Teddy Jacobson work his magic on the action...

I've got no affiliation with Teddy's business but absolutely LOVE what he did to the trigger pull on the revolver.

Actions By T - Teddy Jacobson Pistolsmith

638 Owner

I really like my 638. I have been nothing but pleased. I choose it over the 642 because of the shrouded hammer (option to shoot SA). I practice DA and can plink with the SA. But the main reason I got it was it is the same style gun that Tubbs from Miami Vice shot. He really made some amazing shots with it.

All in all I have been very pleased with what you can do with the little stubbie. Only down side is cleaning a revolver is very different from my autos. Lint does collect in the hammer area. I just blow it out and keep going.

You will not be going wrong with either choice. Just really comes down to preference. I am sure you will enjoy either.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieP View Post
    I bought the 642.

1) This is a carry and I better learn to shoot it DA because that's the way I will use it if I ever need to use it.

2) I like the looks of the 642 better.

3) I liked the fact that the case of the 642 is sealed, which should help keep "stuff" out of the guts of the gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I am partial to the 638 myself. I like the looks of it actually. I bought it because just in case I ever want single action, I have it. Also if I am at the range I can use SA if I wish.

Occasionally lint and the like will get into the hammer area, but cleaning it out every week or so takes care of that.
    It seems to me that this does boil down to preference. I would choose the 638, because I prefer not to limit my options (single-action and double-action), and many others would agree. Just as many others would prefer the 642 (as one of my best friends does) for the reasons CharlieP lists. Only you can decide what is best for you. Good luck with whatever you decide!

I work at a gun shop/range so I sent in my order to S&W for a 642CT (Crimson Trace grips) which will be the wife's Mothers Day present.

I like the 642 because the hammer area is sealed, much as I hate the idea of "purse carry" I am a realist and know this piece will spend time in "The Bermuda Triangle". This will not be a range gun and I want her to practice the way she will using it in a SHTF situation, no thumb cocking. With the hammer completely sealed, during cold weather she can carry in a coat pocket (along with the Kleenex that seem to reproduce in every coat pocket of hers) and fire from the pocket without fear of debris getting in the way of the hammer. Also the sealed hammer is more streamlined than the “hump” on the bodyguard, producing less bulge when carried concealed.

I have a 637 I got for the wife and she doesn't like it...much...so...I take it with me once in a while instead of the P-3AT...I like it!

I actually like the hammer...not a problem in the pocket...

Guess I'm saying, look at the 637...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If it's to be a fighting revolver, go 642 since all you'll need is double action.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I like the 442/642, same gun except for the finish, because I prefer Double Action Only on my self defensive Revolvers.

Some people like to be able to cock the hammer for better accuracy in Single Action. Personally I say, learn to shoot Double Action and this won't be an issue.

I like taking the option away from somebody saying, "You didn't mean to shoot my client, but because you were playing cowboy gunslinger, you cocked the hammer on your six shooter to get him to comply with your orders and accidentally shot my client." This becomes an issue in a Manslaughter Trial or a Civil Trial.

Another reason I like the DAO Revolvers is just because I do. I shoot them pretty good and don't see the need for Single Action unless it's my CAS guns.

Just my $0.02, take care and stay safe.

Biker

The hump is fugly. Go with the 642.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I personally like the 442/642 as well. Once you learn the trigger on them, you can fire them just as well as one with an exposed hammer in SA. Plus there is nothing to snag on, and no extra place for pocket lint to collect

Administrator

If I had it to do all over again. I'd take the hump.

The only real disadvantage is that a slightly slicker DA action job can be done on the DA Only revolvers but, I still think there is some advantage to being able to cock the hammer should some unique defensive situation ever require it.

I'd go with the 638 and a set of accessory Crimson Trace laser grips keyed in at 25'.
    You'll still have a highly effective "no snag" close in "belly button gun" plus you'll be able to handle things when Mr. Bad Guy has a knife to Grandmas throat and your only viable shot is a careful head shot.
    Of course ya could just learn to really work that butter smooth DA trigger but, I need to play Devils Advocate here.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links