Graduation gift...the rest of the story

This is a discussion on Graduation gift...the rest of the story within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; And now for the rest of the story about buying my son a Beretta 92sf for a graduation gift. ( http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ole-world.html ) Maybe it is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

And now for the rest of the story about buying my son a Beretta 92sf for a graduation gift. (http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ole-world.html)

Maybe it is just me, but I couldn't buy my son a gun without at least buying one for myself. I was also looking to purchase a Glock 19 (9mm compact) and the new Glock 30sf (.45 compact). I have not fired either of them, so I was going to rent those, too, at the range to see if I liked them.

When we got to the range, I just rented a Glock 30. I had a long discussion with the range officer about the 30 and the new 30sf. He said that he shot them both and didn't really notice any difference in size. Although it is hard to find others my body type (short, fat, bald, old and ugly), he was just like me. And just as curmudgeonly. We even put our hands together to verify hand size. They were identical. So I figured I would have a similar experience.

I first shot my Glock 23. I have fired it many, many times and it performed flawlessly. I then picked up the Glock 30. It was a bit fatter than the 23 but not uncomfortably so. I was anticipating a larger kick but what I discovered was that the .45 actually kicked less than my .40. It was not a lot less, but enough to notice the difference. I then fired the Sig 9mm. After shooting the other larger calibers, it was almost like shooting a .22.

After shooting the 30, I decided that I was going to purchase a Glock 19 and a 26 (9mm subcompact) instead of the 30. I may get a .45 at a later date, but I would rather have both the 9mms as I already had a 23 and 27, all the holsters and other paraphernalia that would also fit the 19 and 26.

We headed back to the gun shop and purchased the three guns. Seems like you have to fill out a bit more paperwork if you buy more than one gun, because I am now more of a suspicious character. However, I only had to pay one NIC charge, which was the primary reason for buying them all at once.

After purchasing all the guns, we headed back to the gun range to test out our new guns.

This photo shows the comparison of the 19 and 26. I shot 8 rounds through each at about 20 feet. The center was the 19. The neck shots were the 26. The ones at the "9" were my son shooting the 19. (Is it me or do other dads have a problem with their kids shooting better than they do?) He is not a big Glock fan but he liked the way the gun shot. He certainly has no problem shooting mine when we take classes together.

As far as recoil goes, I would say that the 9mms had the least, the .45 was noticeably more than the 9mms and the .40s were noticeably more than the .45s. I am going to have to reconsider carrying my 27 with me as I now understand how everyone says multiple shot placement is much easier with a 9mm vs. a larger caliber.

Attached Images
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    I am going to have to reconsider carrying my 27 with me as I now understand how everyone says multiple shot placement is much easier with a 9mm vs. a larger caliber.
    I'm about to purchase a Glock, had been planning on the 23 but after all the reading I've done, I'm really debating on the 19 instead...Hopefully I can find a place to rent both the 23 and the 19 to compare back to back!

nice buys, the 19 and 26 will not disappoint!

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I can't wait to get my G26 on Wednesday.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by thecheat View Post
    I'm about to purchase a Glock, had been planning on the 23 but after all the reading I've done, I'm really debating on the 19 instead...Hopefully I can find a place to rent both the 23 and the 19 to compare back to back!
    Go with the 19...
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint
    I am going to have to reconsider carrying my 27 with me as I now understand how everyone says multiple shot placement is much easier with a 9mm vs. a larger caliber.
    DingDingDingDingDing!

seriously, I love my 17 and 19...I have to carry a 23 for work and I don't care for it...meeting the same accuracy standard requires me to slow down quite a bit when shooting the .40...heck, I preferred my old 1911 over the .40.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Between the 9mm, 40 S&W and the 45 ACP I much prefer the 9 and the 45.

I've never been a fan of the 40 S&W, but it did spawn one "decent" new caliber, the .357 Sig. I much prefer the "original" though, the .357 Magnum.

The Glock 19 is the best gun they make, IMHO, and the only Glock I own.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I am not a big fan of the .40 SW IMO alot of muzzle jump and perceived recoil over the even the .45.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I shot my brother's glock .40 and I like my SA .45 much better easier for me to control and shoot.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

The Glock 19 and 26 are a great pair of gun, and with practice the 26 can shoot as good as the 19.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

I've personally never felt the need to buy a .40 gun. If I want large bore I'll shoot my 1911. I've been carrying an OD G19 for several months now. It's bulkier than a 1911 when it comes to concealment but it's a good deal lighter to carry with less recoil when at the range - both important factors since my back trouble kicked into high gear.

I probably won't buy another Glock but the G19 is a definite winner in the 9mm category.
    Jack

One for you...two for me...what a gun shop motto!

The G19 is, in my opinion, the king of 9mm handguns, bar none. The G26 makes a great backup or deep concealment gun.

Now, we just need to talk to your son about that Beretta. Tisk tisk! Just kidding, what a great graduation present. I asked for $ for college graduation and bought myself a Ruger GP100 3". Every man needs a .357!

Man, what a graduation present for your son! I wish my dad had done something like that for me when I graduated....I couldn't imagine how great it'd be to be able to carry a nice pistol that my dad had bought me. My dad is totally anti-gun; when he found out I carry, he told me to get rid of the gun and take martial arts lessons....and I'm 31, with a son of my own!

Sounds like you did pretty well for yourself, too....a G26 with night sights will be my next gun purchase, as well. Congratualtions!
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Ya' know come to think of it, my graduation gift was a half case of Budweiser. Never knew I was robbed until just now. Thanks Pickleboy!
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    Thanks Pickleboy!
    Jack
    He will cherish that time the rest of his life, good job!
    Pickleboy
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links