Reassembly of SIG 1911

Reassembly of SIG 1911

This is a discussion on Reassembly of SIG 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Alright...I've searched and read what there is but I still have questions. I bought a SIG XO and have yet to shoot it. I stripped ...

Reassembly of SIG 1911

Alright...I've searched and read what there is but I still have questions.

I bought a SIG XO and have yet to shoot it. I stripped it and cleaned/lubed it up. Now, I'm reassembling it and I'm really struggling with the slide stop. I've reassembled a SA Mil-Spec before with no issues but I for the life of me cannot get the plunger to press in with the slide stop. I've tried pressing it in with a tiny screwdriver but the tolerance between the two is so fine(not to mention it takes a TON of force), the slide stop cannot fit even with the smallest screwdriver I own. Any ides? I got so frustrated I ended up making a really light 'idiot scratch' already which just makes me more upset since I haven't even shot the gun yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    "I play for keeps."

Administrator
    Are you putting the slide stop directly underneath the plunger?
    Then line up the slide relief cut directly above & then simultaniously push up & in.
    The slide stop should push the plunger in and pop in at the same time.

Try putting a drop of oil on the end of the plunger.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Then line up the slide relief cut directly above & then simultaniously push up & in.

Ya i have noticed with my kimber, that I have to do the same thing to get it to pop in..
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I just cleaned my Dan Wesson today and always have a similar problem with it. This time I put the slide stop through the barrel link and lined it up into its normal position. I tapped it once with the nylon side of punch hammer and it went in easily. I usually put oil on the plunger and push it in a few times then reach through the ejection and push it in with a punch so the slide stop falls into place (I have a notched frame). From now on I'm using the hammer. It's so easy.

You could put a piece of scotch tape or masking tape on the frame to protect it from the idiot mark. Let us know how you like the gun... I've always been curious about the Sig 1911s.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

That is exactly what I'm doing. I'll certainly try the drop of oil in the morning. I hope it works...I love the gun just from handling it but compared to the eight polymer guns I've got, this is a pain.
    "I play for keeps."

which way did you slide the plunger and spring in from it should be inserted from the rear towards the front with the small tip towards the slide stop also if you put the slide stop in prior to inserting thumb safety it can relieve some of the tension
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    You could put a piece of scotch tape or masking tape on the frame to protect it from the idiot mark.
    I had done that initially, but got so frustrated I couldn't get it back together I took it off wondering if that super slim piece of tape might have been making the difference. It's got a real light scratch I can buff out most likely but I'm not really worried about it, because it's going to be a shooter and no safe queen. It's just frustrating that it's minimally scratched, in pieces, and I haven't even put one down the pipe yet.

Thanks for the advice.
    "I play for keeps."

Administrator
    Well, if it just won't go you could take a high quality (good steel) screwdriver and carefully thin it down on a grinder without overheating it and make it thin enough to still be able to move the plunger in but not so thin that it will bend. Try that.

With the slide stop is in the barrel link, put the safety on to take off a little pressure on the plunger. Once you've got the slide stop started, take the safety off, line up the slide, and insert the slide stop the rest of the way.

Joe

Administrator
    It's not a problem I've ever had with any of my past or present .45s

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    That's why I just don't clean mine! LOL
    seriously though..raytracer has the right idea.
    He just beat me to it.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Is the spring longer than on you're other 45's,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I've had this exact same problem with my SA 1911 while my Sig GSR (1911) has never been difficult.
    It's not the plunger or plunger spring but the profile of the slide stop.
    I noticed that if I swap the slide stop from my Sig or Colt 1911s to the SA I get no problem, while if I swap the slide stop for the SA to the Sig or Colt I get same results of difficulty.

It's luck of the draw.

- Janq

P.S. - Definitely Scotchtape your slide prior to reassembly when the slide stop is difficult to work with. Otherwise you will wind up marring the frame or even the slide as I have with mine when struggling with it the first time and this issue was to me new.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Administrator
    You could polish up the surface of the slide stop that cams in the plunger tube.
    That should help for future reassembly.

Well...I put two drops or oil on the plunger and worked it in and out a few times with a flat blade screwdriver, somehow I pushed it in slightly(just enough to take the real pressure off the spring in there) and was able to push it over and in. It's got a very, very faint very small scratch but with the finish of my XO, I think I'm the only one who can see it(at least without searching for it).

I'm going to take it to the range tomorrow and hopefully it goes well...it's my first 1911. It's sure beautiful but it's so painful to clean in comparison to my polymers. However, I know they shoot really well so I have faith in it still.
    "I play for keeps."

Links