Sp101 and 442/642

This is a discussion on Sp101 and 442/642 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want to buy a 38 I really want the sp101 but I have heard good things about the smiths..I carry IWB Glock 23 now ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sp101 and 442/642

Sp101 and 442/642

I want to buy a 38 I really want the sp101 but I have heard good things about the smiths..I carry IWB Glock 23 now ....

What should I do? For a while this will be my new primary carry...

We are having some departmental carrying issues...

2. Remove Ads

While I prefer the Smith products' light weight, if I was to carry one as a primary departmental weapon I would pick the Ruger for belt carry. Is the .357 mag version an option for you?

642/442 for the pocket or the SP101 for the belt. It's my daily carry regime.

rd
    "Little by little the look of the country changes because of the men we admire." Homer Bannon - Hud 1963
    Behind the Barn

I agree with those above, SP 101 on the belt, as it is a heavier gun. S&W makes for a good pocket or ankle gun, off course you can also carry it IWB or OWB.

I have both an SP 101 and a 642, which I use as stated above, when I don't have my Glock with me.

Thiswould be for off duty carry,,,, IWB...it appears right now we are going to be allowed 38 special off duty carry only... on duty is the issued weapon...Like I said I was carrying the 23 until now and do not want to stop carrying...So I will have to buy a good small 38,,,

I know how to dress around the gun but I only IWB with my shirts untucked ... I am just torn between the smith and the ruger although I know one is lighter etc,,, This new gun will serve as Primary until the policies are reworked for now...

Quote Originally Posted by blue1023 View Post
    Thiswould be for off duty carry,,,, IWB...it appears right now we are going to be allowed 38 special off duty carry only... on duty is the issued weapon...Like I said I was carrying the 23 until now and do not want to stop carrying...So I will have to buy a good small 38,,,

I know how to dress around the gun but I only IWB with my shirts untucked ... I am just torn between the smith and the ruger although I know one is lighter etc,,, This new gun will serve as Primary until the policies are reworked for now...
    If it were me I'd carry the Glock 23 as my Primary and the 442/642 as a BUG in my weakside pocket. In fact, that's what I do, as I don't leave home without at least two guns on my person.

I just placed an SP101 on "Hold" and it will be my "Secondary" with the 442 being my third gun. I am about to start carrying three guns off duty. Usually my Primary is a Ruger GP100 3" or a 4" N-Frame, but I have been known to carry a 1911 recently or my Glock 19.

If you are determined to carry IWB I would go with the Ruger. The 442/642 really "shines" in the pocket or on the ankle.

Take care and stay safe.

Biker

Does your departmental restriction apply only to ammo carried or to the capability of the gun? In other words, would you be limited to an SP chambered for 38SPL. only? If not, it might be nice to get a standard .357 SP, carrying .38+P stuff until departmental rules shake out?

I own both a DAO SP and a 642. I like both guns, but the SP is definitely easier to shoot. The SP's sights also work much better for me. (They're easier for a fifty-something dude to see). Ruger's "stud/rubber grip" frame makes it pain free-even with stout .357 loads. Of course, the grip design does nothing to tame muzzle blast.

PC (disclaimer: I'm just a civilian)

For a BUG the Smith, if it is to be pocket carried. On the belt, the SP101 in .357 magnum.
    God bless our troops!

I have both but would rather carry the 642 and shoot the SP 101. Steve48

The SP101 is about twice the weight of a 442. You really should try both in the pocket, since you might well not appreciate the added heft while carrying. Though, that additional weight can make a huge difference with your accuracy and ability to keep on-target during a string of shots. Won't know until you try them.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have the SP101 .357 in front pocket in open pocket holster. Good in jeans pockets but a little heavy with any kind of very light outdoor shorts.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I agree with everyone's advice. I have both, but I carry the 642 because it so easy to carry. The SP101 definitely handles +p ammo a lot better, and overall is easier to shoot.

The SP101 is so heavy that even the .357 rounds have very little recoil. Not punishing at all like some folks might think.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Administrator
    Holy cow, 38spl is your only choice allowed? Wow...

On the the question, I'd buy a 642 or 442 since you can only use .38's anyway, and it makes a dandy BUG when on duty too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Holy cow, 38spl is your only choice allowed? Wow...

On the the question, I'd buy a 642 or 442 since you can only use .38's anyway, and it makes a dandy BUG when on duty too.
    Unfortunately for the time being that is all that is allowed...we are currently negotiating for a change but until then 38 sp is it,....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links