Revolver decision...

Revolver decision...

This is a discussion on Revolver decision... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello Folks - First post here as a newly CC licensed resident of MA. I am considering a Ruger GP100 with a 4" barrel and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revolver decision...

Revolver decision...

Hello Folks - First post here as a newly CC licensed resident of MA.
    I am considering a Ruger GP100 with a 4" barrel and a high ride OWB holster for both carry and camp - I have looked at the SP101 and think it is a fine gun and probably better suited for CC however for a one gun guy I am leaning towards the GP100. Any feedback, particularly about the wisdom of the holster decision is appreciated. Thanks and best regards, Al

Welcome from Florida.

The Ruger's a good gun, but you might find that it's a bit large for daily concealed carry. If it becomes a chore to carry, you might find that you simply don't carry it.

Go with the SP101 in .357 magnum and with a 3 1/16" barrel. Easier to carry and still plenty accurate and you don't lose that much in velocity between the four inch and three inch barrels.
    God bless our troops!

I went with a 3" GP100 for carry and a 4" for the Range.

The 3" gun carries like a 2" gun and shoots like a 4" gun. That's the best of both worlds IMHO. Take care and stay safe.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    +1 for Biker RN.
    exactly what I was going to say.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback - I will look at the 3" GP100 - sounds like a better choice. Any advice re: high ride OWB holster? Thanks - Al

I like a high ride OWB pancake type holster, but that is me and not you. Get what is the most comfortable for you to wear and not what everyone else thinks you should have. Oh, don't be surprised to find out that a year from now you have a holster drawer full of holsters - we all do!
    God bless our troops!

I carry a 4" K frame in this Galco holster. It keeps it high, tight & comfortable.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

easterngray

Hello neighbor! And welcome to this fine forum. I've had my LTC-A here in MA for about 40 years now. Have just recently bought an SP101 with the 2 1/4" barrel. CC implies that you are carrying it for protection. That being the case, I believe you'd be better served with the SP rather than the GP. (My son has a GP.) This revolver is a tank, pure & simple. She'll shoot up a storm of full load .357's and not blink an eye. Yet she's light enough for good CC. As you know, it's "frowned" upon here in this state to carry open, so please do your homework and choose a carry holster which exemplifies "deep concealment". I use the "Thunderwear" variety. It's O.K.. Not the best as far as getting to your weapon quickly, but no one will ever know you're carrying and it's very comfortable. Just takes a little practice is all. Whichever gun you choose, you've chosen well with the Ruger line. Good luck.
    "A voyage in search for knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

If you are concealed carrying, legally I hope, in a state like MA you may want to look at Inside The Waistband Holsters. They offer a greater degree of concealability.

I use a Milt Sparks Summer Special II for my 3" GP100 and it works very well all year. Just a little hint, when you order the Holster, order a Belt too. The Summer Special II has inter-changeable Belt Loops and I frequently switch between a 1.50" and a 1.25" Belt.

Take care and stay safe.

Biker

If, as you say, you are a one gun guy I'd choose the 4" GP100. Opinions on carry weight and size seem pretty subjective. I carry the 4"GP100 most of the time and do not find the weight or size of the gun to be a problem. You will appreciate it if you like to load up with 357 Magnum. You'll need a bit of dry practice on your presentation with the GP admittedly.
    Be reasonable. See things my way.

4 inch or 3 inch?

I am definitely settled on the GP; 3 or 4 inch is the question.

Here's the specs:

3" is 36 oz.
    4" is 40 oz.

3" is 8 1/4" overall
    4" is 9 5/8" overall

3" has fixed sights and rounder grip
    4" has adj. rear site and squarer grip

3" is SS only
    4" blued or SS

I think I'm leaning toward the 3" .... If I could get the 3" blued it would be a no brainer!

Thanks again for all the feedback! Al

Edit because you've made up your mind!

I was going to get a 4" GP100 with my college graduation money. They had a 3" in stock and after fondling it, I fell in love with it. You're not gaining much from 3" to 4" in my opinion. The fixed sights are very nice for...well, fixed sights. The adjustable sights may be nice for the range, but will also be more prone to snagging than the fixed sights. Also, the grip that comes on the 3" is a bit smaller than the 4" and 6" models. You can put the larger grips on the 3" and the smaller grips on the 4" and 6" but that is what comes on them stock. Just more food for thought. The 3" grip will be a bit easier to conceal.

I'm not going to tell you what to do, but the 3" is a very nice gun and I'm very happy with it. I would get stainless no matter what you do.

I have been carrying my 4” GP100 more and more since I got my Bluegrass holster. As I have mentioned in past posts I am surprised how a quality holster can make such a big heavy gun so comfortable to wear.

Before the GP100 I debated between a SP101 and S&W442. I chose the S&W442 due to weight (wanted to pocket carry). I still plan on getting a SP101 for a smaller .357 to carry OWB or IWB.

If I had to pick only one (excluding the pocket carry option) I would choose the 4” GP100. It is a great range, house and carry gun that is a pleasure to shoot.

The GP100 is a fantastic gun... I've owned mine since 1992. I will never sell mine.

As far as a holster... take a look at Mitch Rosen Upper Limit Express or Upper Limit holsters. They are both excellent holsters.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: DW V-Bob 1911, S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9,
    and Glock G26, G19, G23C, and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links