LDA Trigger by Para...what is the advantage?

This is a discussion on LDA Trigger by Para...what is the advantage? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No, it's not. It is clearly stated in your quote from Para's web site, 1911 style . They also so state it is a DAO ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LDA Trigger by Para...what is the advantage?

OD*
    No, it's not. It is clearly stated in your quote from Para's web site, 1911 style . They also so state it is a DAO pistol.

An easy way to prove this to yourself is, take your LDA when you get it and completely disassemble and reassemble it using 1911 schematic diagrams.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

2. Remove Ads

OD, that's your opinion and you're welcome to it. Its still only an opinion though. Many of us say that it IS a 1911 though. That too is our opinion.

Many companies have made modifications to the 1911. There's no set rule as to when it stops being a 1911 and starts being something else. While I do admit that the LDA is a pretty big departure from the classic 1911, I still hold that it is still a 1911.

OD*
    When you cannot use 1911 schematic diagrams, how is that opinion? Para doesn't even call it a 1911. Jaguar XK and Ford Thunderbird share the same platform (frame), are they same?

~ Tiger McKee

I fooled with a LDA at the store last week. It's a DAO gun, similar to the Smith autos in DAO. Also pretty hefty in the weight department. I like the concept BUT should you get a hard primer strike, you'll need to manually cock the slide back a slight way to re-engage the trigger system. The Smith DAO autos are designed the very same way. This in itself is redundent and in my opinion, slows down your reaction time in a serious altercation. just my 2 cents here

Senior Moderator
    To be technical, the orignal 1911, did not have a beavertail grip safety and a beavertail could not be fitted to it without modifying the frame. It did not have a "commander" type hammer, did not have speed bumps, did not have a high cut at the trigger guard and really wouldn't feed hollow points very well. It did not have extended thumb safeties, and they had a curved backstrap. And they didn't have any kind of firing pin block. So if we are going to be technical, there are few 1911 "type" pistols that could be called a 1911.

Some manufacturers use a reverse plug for the recoil spring and guide rod on some models and yet they call them 1911s. Some have added tactical rails to the dust cover. Some have grip safety firing pin blocks, some have trigger activated firing pin blocks. Some have full length guide rods that would not work in the "original" design because the recoil spring cap has to be open instead of closed. Yet in all of these variations, they are commonly referred to as 1911s - even when the parts won't work in the original design.

The LDA is a bit different, but it is simply a DA trigger on a 1911 platform. If we accept all the other variations of the 1911, how can we say that the LDA is not a 1911?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Dove
    OD, that's your opinion and you're welcome to it. Its still only an opinion though. Many of us say that it IS a 1911 though. That too is our opinion.

Many companies have made modifications to the 1911. There's no set rule as to when it stops being a 1911 and starts being something else. While I do admit that the LDA is a pretty big departure from the classic 1911, I still hold that it is still a 1911.
    Well, as an LDA and a 1911 owner, I disagree.

Detail stipping a single-action 1911 is pretty much the same among all single-action 1911s. It doesnt matter if its a P14, Kimber Warrior, or an STI 2011. They all pretty much detail strip the same way.

After detail stripping an LDA, I dont see how anyone could call an LDA a 1911.

edit: Oh, Para says they're safer so they can sell more pistols. I think they were originally geared towards LEOs that would rather carry a 1911 on duty, but werent allowed to.

Quote Originally Posted by OD
    Jaguar XK and Ford Thunderbird share the same platform (frame), are they same?
    To expand on this, I can take just about any mechanical part off of a 2003 Mustang Cobra, and bolt it onto the 1980 Merc Zephyr in my garage, or one of two farimonts in my driveway.

Same car?
    Last edited by Zach S; October 20th, 2005 at 09:37 AM.

OD*
    To be technical
    No, if a person wanted to be technical, they would say the LDA in based on a Colt Commercial Gov't Model, seeing as to how M1911 is a military model designation for military pistols shipped 1912 through 1919, and only refers to pistols produced under contract for the United States Government. Serial range is 1-629500, now that is being technical.

~ Tiger McKee

The trigger pull on the LDA is superb.

That being said, I like others here am afraid of the extra parts involved.

I broke down and bought a wilson cqb compact after 15 years of glock 19 carry almost exclusively.

I made the choice of a 1911 because I hit faster and more accurately with it. I went with .45 because that what the gun is designed for. The wilson decision was in a moment of excitement over the quality, and even though it stung a bit financially, I don't regret it a bit.

On the street in a ccw situation, my pistol is not a sidearm, it's my only arm, and I felt I needed the largest most controllable firearm I could still reasonably carry. (I don't take credit for that statement by the way.)

If the reliability of the para has proven itself I think it is a fine choice. I don't know if it is proven yet though, but that trigger pull sure is sweet.

OD*
    Addendum and for what it is worth,

Beavertail grip safeties with and without speed bumps, "commander" type hammers, arched mainspring housings, extended thumb safeties, the firing pin block, FLGRs and reversed recoil spring plugs did not change the mechanical function of the gun and original parts can replace them. Only the FP safety required the weapon itself to be modified (slightly) and those parts can be removed and the weapon will still function as designed. That cannot be said of the LDA if you would try to replace it's DAO trigger group with traditional 1911 parts. .

a beavertail could not be fitted to it without modifying the frame.
    Kings Gun Works, Inc. has offered drop in beavertails for over 30 years.

~ Tiger McKee

Sorry Im with Od and most 1911 owners on this its not a 1911 .. Heck Ruger even calls its p345 as using a 1911 style action that dont make it a 1911..

My main thing with the Para LDA is to many extra parts

Ive heard there Real intersting to Detail strip the first couple of times too

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    The Para LDA is not a 1911 peroid. It's not a SA and can't be carried C&L.
    It should be compared with the Colt double eagle, and not a true 1911. Heres a pic of the double eagle (notice the slide resembles a 1911, but colt does not call it a 1911)

VIP Member
    Correct me if I'm wrong (didn't need to say that, did I) but the LDA is a modified DAO design that cocks the main hammer spring through slide action. The trigger needs only overcome the relatively light secondary hammer spring to raise the hammer to the point where the cocked main spring can drive it down onto the pin. There is absolutely no advantage to the setup. It looks like a 1911, it feels almost as good as a 1911 and better than a Glock, but if you like lots of little parts, get a revolver. The bottom line function is on a par with the Glock. There are perhaps 1000 Glocks out there for every LDA. You know about the safety record of the former. BTW the finger should not be on any type of trigger unless the gun is lined up on target AND the firing decision has been made. Now hit me with your best shot.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by soflasmg
    The trigger pull on the LDA is superb.

I TOTALLY agree. The first time I felt it I was like....OMG dude, O M G. And that is how I said it too!
    S&W 5906
    si vis pacem, para bellum

protego communis bona

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by d2thomas
    I TOTALLY agree. The first time I felt it I was like....OMG dude, O M G. And that is how I said it too!
    I agree, the LDA is probably the best I have ever seen.

I'm not sure a trigger action can be used as the defining feature of a 1911. While the trigger of the original 1911 is unique, so is the "spur" hammer, the absence of a beavertail, and absence of a speed bump.

If triggers and extra parts and re-fittability are a defining issue, then what about the Colt series 80? It has a bunch of extra parts, the extra parts won't fit the original 1911, and the parts do affect the trigger pull.

What about the 1911s with firing pin blocks, that too is extra parts that won't fit the original design. One FPB uses the grip safety to disengage it.

Then there's the Sig 226. It has been modified from DA/SA to DAO to DAK. The DAK uses different parts than the original 226 and some of the DAK parts won't fit in the original 226. So is it not a 226?

Now there's a Sig X-5 226 Tactical that is a SA trigger and with an external thumb safety that no other 226 has, yet it is still called a 226.
    Last edited by Tangle; October 21st, 2005 at 10:58 AM.

OD*
    then what about the Colt series 80?
    As I said earlier, those parts can be removed and the gun will still function, you cannot do that with the LDA.

~ Tiger McKee

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links