LDA Trigger by Para...what is the advantage? - Page 3

LDA Trigger by Para...what is the advantage?

This is a discussion on LDA Trigger by Para...what is the advantage? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by OD As I said earlier, those parts can be removed and the gun will still function, you cannot do that with the ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OD
    As I said earlier, those parts can be removed and the gun will still function, you cannot do that with the LDA.
    So has the definition been broadened to be that if the extra parts can be removed and it still functions then it's a 1911 even though it has more parts?

What about Bobtails by Ed Brown, the original parts won't work in it; I mean, where does it end? We look at a gun and everything looks like a 1911 but the trigger so there's some unspoken edict that says that particular model is not a 1911?

Oh, yeah, and how about those external extractors? They can't be removed or re-fitted, or ...

So while you guys have been argueing over if it is a 1911 or not, I took 2 of my 380 cal. guns and traded them in for an LDA Para Carry 3 inch barrel. Just came in from shooting it and I like this gun very much. Nice and flat and easy to conceal.

OD*
    What about Bobtails
    What about Bobtails?
    Your definition is base on looks and not mechanical function?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by Hivoltage
    So while you guys have been argueing over if it is a 1911 or not, I took 2 of my 380 cal. guns and traded them in for an LDA Para Carry 3 inch barrel. Just came in from shooting it and I like this gun very much. Nice and flat and easy to conceal.
    Congrats but where are the pics

I will work on the pics tomorrow!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hivoltage

HAHAHA Good job....what did I tell you? All you need to do it try it and you'll love it!
    S&W 5906
    si vis pacem, para bellum

protego communis bona

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by d2thomas
    I TOTALLY agree. The first time I felt it I was like....OMG dude, O M G. And that is how I said it too!
    AAAHHHHH!!!! STOP IT!

....I trying to resist the urge to buy one and youse guys aren't helping!

USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Wink LDA is Sweet....BUT

Quote Originally Posted by soflasmg
    The trigger pull on the LDA is superb.

That being said, I like others here am afraid of the extra parts involved.

I broke down and bought a wilson cqb compact after 15 years of glock 19 carry almost exclusively.

I made the choice of a 1911 because I hit faster and more accurately with it. I went with .45 because that what the gun is designed for. The wilson decision was in a moment of excitement over the quality, and even though it stung a bit financially, I don't regret it a bit.

On the street in a ccw situation, my pistol is not a sidearm, it's my only arm, and I felt I needed the largest most controllable firearm I could still reasonably carry. (I don't take credit for that statement by the way.)

If the reliability of the para has proven itself I think it is a fine choice. I don't know if it is proven yet though, but that trigger pull sure is sweet.
    I agree the trigger pull is S-W-E-E-T. But I have some problems with the reset time for rapid fire, and all those extra thinghies and the springs. At one time or another most of the serious shooters in my IDPA club have owned one of these, and they all say they don't hold up under prolonged and serious competition. This means it won't hold up (maybe) under a serious life threatening situation. Most of the folks I spoke to in the club mentioned that they had to replace major springs after 300 rds. In my book, that's not too good. I might go thru that many rounds in a single match!

I need more versatility and reliability and capacity. Although the TAC-4 feels just great in my hand, I think I'm going with an H&K USP standard with either the new LEM action or the variation (standard) One trigger action. I can hang a nice gunlight underneath for less money, too.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OD
    What about Bobtails?
    Your definition is base on looks and not mechanical function?
    Somebody made a point about parts not fitting the original design. The original backstrap will not fit a Bobtail and vice versa.

I noticed you didn't comment on the similar mechanical function changes in the 226 yet it's still called a 226 or the external extract on so many modern 1911s.

And yes, looks is one of the many defining features of a 1911. The trigger is just one feature. There are (or were) gas operated versions of the 1911 that are called 1911s. The grip safety, the trigger, the barrel link and function, the thumb safety position and function, the internal extractor, and yes, the way it looks is one of the things that sets the 1911 apart probably more than anything else.

Hence, I don't see how we can claim one feature alone defines or disqualifies a gun as a 1911.

Becuse it double actions and a 1911 wasnt ever designed that way thats how

OD*
    Well, my interest doesn't include 226s. Are any of the ones you mentioned single action? (ah, I read the post and see there is a SA 226).

OK, you're correct. The Browning BDM is a Hi-Power and the Remington 11-48, 1100, 11-87 and 870 are the same too, they're only a bit different . We just need to convince Para into calling their PXT LDA, a 1911.
    Last edited by OD*; October 23rd, 2005 at 02:42 PM.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Becuse it double actions and a 1911 wasnt ever designed that way thats how

I'm sure one day in the past people hated the newly created auto pistols so much that when someone said they bought a handgun...a auto pistol....people around them shouted "HEY! That's not a handgun. Hanguns were only designed to be revolvers."

Sometimes when you flex the paradigm of the current norm you get the next ground breaking discovery.
    S&W 5906
    si vis pacem, para bellum

protego communis bona

OD*
    Sometimes when you flex the paradigm of the current norm you get the next ground breaking discovery.
    Many thought that when Ludwig (Louis) Wilhelm Seecamp introduced the first practical double action conversion of the 1911. This idea is nothing new.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links