LDA Trigger by Para...what is the advantage?

This is a discussion on LDA Trigger by Para...what is the advantage? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Could somebody explain what the deal is with the LDA models Para is selling. What is the difference with the trigger action and why is ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LDA Trigger by Para...what is the advantage?

LDA Trigger by Para...what is the advantage?

Could somebody explain what the deal is with the LDA models Para is selling. What is the difference with the trigger action and why is it supposedly a safer gun? Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Hivoltage
    Could somebody explain what the deal is with the LDA models Para is selling. What is the difference with the trigger action and why is it supposedly a safer gun? Thanks

I'm actually buying a LDA soon. It stands for "Light Double Action" and it's exactly that. Your initial DA trigger pull is so light, it's almost as your pulling a SA trigger, VERY minimal effort. It's kinda creepy - I love it! Also the hammers on these PARAORDS are bobbed so when the gun is cocked it has a very slim profile.

The safety aspect is this, a normal 1911 is cocked and locked. That means the hammer is cocked but the thumb safety is engaged. Well with just the flick of your finger this gun is ready for action. But that means potentially you could knock the safety off in your holster, leaving you with a armed weapon on your hip, or etc. The PARAORD has such a light DA trigger pull there is no need to be "cocked and locked". Understand? You can just unholster, click the safety off and squeeze!

...I love this gun!
    S&W 5906
    si vis pacem, para bellum

protego communis bona

OD*
    Even if the thumb safety should inadvertently be disengaged, it still requires two separate actions to fire the weapon.

Depressing the grip safety and pulling the trigger.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

My understanding is that some police departments don't like "cocked and locked". The LDA trigger allows LEO to still carry a nice 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by OD
    Even if the thumb safety should inadvertently be disengaged, it still requires two separate actions to fire the weapon.

Depressing the grip safety and pulling the trigger.

both of which can, on occasion, be done unexpectedly. This reminds me of someone I knew once - gunsmith of 20 years, accidentally put a 45 acp round right through his, .....well....his member.

The basic premise of the LDA is that it adds one more safety step without the sacrifice to quickness.
    S&W 5906

protego communis bona

I don't follow the logic here.... if the trigger pull is so light, how is it any safer than a traditional single action?
    What is the additional safety step that it adds?
    I'm also curious as to how the grip safety AND the trigger can be squeezed unexpectedly at the same time. With a proper holster, it's impossible.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

While the LDA has a light trigger pull it still involves two steps, cocking the hammer, and then releasing the hammer. A two step action like this, while seemingly nothing to a trigger finger, is still highly unlikely [almost impossible] to go off due to accident. ie - putting into holster, removing from holster, resting finger on trigger [which is a no no anyway!] The "extra" step is that you can be essentailly "cocked and locked" without being cocked. Make sense?

To all you folks out there getting your 1911 feathers all ruffled...it's still a 1911, just slightly modified! If you'd having trouble understanding the concept of how it works, my advice is to go to your local gun dealer and test one out, I know you'll be impressed as I was!
    S&W 5906

protego communis bona

Lead Moderator
    Thye big diffrence is the LDA trigger length of pull is longer than a SA 1911. To some its great, others it is too slow for rapid fire. I think they are o.k. , but not really crazy about all the small parts to the LDA action.

Well....it sounds basically the same to me, except for the visual of the cocked hammer. If the trigger pull is almost the sameas SA then I dont see the advantage to safety.

...I give!
    S&W 5906

protego communis bona

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hivoltage
    Well....it sounds basically the same to me, except for the visual of the cocked hammer. If the trigger pull is almost the sameas SA then I dont see the advantage to safety.

I think para was going for the longer trigger pull being similar to the DAO type triggers offered on the market by other manufacturers. My take on the para LDA , the trigger pull is not excessively long or heavy. But compared to a SA 1911, slower for rapid fire.

OD*
    "cocked and locked" without being cocked. Make sense?
    Not really, if it isn't cocked, well... it isn't cocked and if it is a DAO, it isn't a 1911.

~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by OD
    Not really, if it isn't cocked, well... it isn't cocked and if it is a DAO, it isn't a 1911.

1] It's not a double action only gun.

2] Being a 1911 is determined by the frame, not the action.
    S&W 5906

protego communis bona

OD*
    Being a 1911 is determined by the frame, not the action.
    No, it is based on the 1911, it is not a 1911.

~ Tiger McKee

it's not?

"There are a significant number of serious shooters who prefer the feel of the traditional single-stack Model 1911 grip. It is for this discerning group that Para designed the single-stack, full-size Limited LDA. Along with the familiar heft of the grip however, there's the singular advantage of the revolutionary LDA trigger system, with its sweet, smooth action. And then there’s the New Power Extractor™ technology, which makes for improved feeding and extracting reliability, while staying true to the classic look of the 1911. The rear of the Power Extractor is the same size as the original extractor. The Limited LDA is the only 1911 style pistol that maintains the classic Government Model lines and gives you a double-action only trigger that is better than many out-of-the-box single-action triggers."
    Attached Images
    S&W 5906

protego communis bona

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links