New Ruger LCP Range report & pics

This is a discussion on New Ruger LCP Range report & pics within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, after a 7 week wait, I finally got my Ruger LCP this past weekend, and got it to the range today. I had a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Ruger LCP Range report & pics

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar

Well, after a 7 week wait, I finally got my Ruger LCP this past weekend, and got it to the range today. I had a mix of ammo as follows:
    WW white box 95 gr. fmj
    Remington UMC 95 gr. fmj
    Blaser Brass 95 gr. fmj
    Remington UMC 88 gr. jhp
    Black Hills 90 gr. jhp
    All shots fired from 11 yds. (because that's what my range has)
    First 12 shots (2 magazines) was WW 95 gr. fmj, and the first round went straight through the "X". Next was the UMC 95 gr. fmj all grouped nicely.

Next came the Remington UMC 88 gr. hp and the gun jammed on the third round.

Went back to the 95 gr. fmj........Blaser, WW, and UMC fired 150 rounds without a glitch. Fired 10 rounds of Black Hills JHP no problem. Went back and re-tried the UMC 88 Gr. jhp and the gun would not complete a cycle on 3 out of 10 rounds.
    So, I have mixed initial feelings. I've never owned a gun sensitive to a particular type factory ammo, but this one definitely does not like UMC 88 Gr. jhp! All the problems I had with this ammo was the same ....the gun would not blow back far enough to cock the hammer, and fully close the slide.

Here are two pics:

Comparison of LCP and Beretta Tomcat

Thanks for the report. Supposed to get mine this week and I will be trying some of the same ammo when I get out to the range.
    Facts are negotiable, perceptions are not.

Hmmm......the UMC was the lighest at 88 gr........makes me think a bit

GC
    My LCP didn't hiccup once through the Winchester White Box 95 gr. FMJ, Remington 95 gr. FMJ, Blazer 95 gr. FMJ, or Double Tap 90 gr. Gold Dot loads. That is, not until at round number 177 when something broke in the trigger linkage. Can't wait to get it back from the Ruger repair facility. It's been gone for about four weeks now... :(

Ruger LCP

Picked mine up last week. Tried it out this week with 50 rounds of cheap hardball and fifty rounds of Federal Hydra Shok. Bang each and every time. Its real small and thin so it jumps up in my a hand a little but it is comftable to shoot and the recoil is not bad at all. Very nice fit and finish. Ive read of some people saying their new LCP was roughly finished as far as the inside of the barrel. Mine is very nicely finished. The frame color and slide match perfectly. This weapon has no sharp edges and it is a good weapon for what I believe it was designed(light and small medium caliber pocket weapon for those times you cant/dont want to carry a larger heavier gun in a more powerful caliber like .38 or 9MM).

Where are the sights on the LCP?
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

GC
    Ya gotta squint real hard...

hmm... this is why i have decided to wait and get an LCP after about a year or so so they can work out the kinks. i was sold until these threads started popping up. now i'll be getting the sw 642 and waiting for a streak of perfect reviews on the LCP before investing in one.

Quote Originally Posted by whyipackmy45 View Post
    Where are the sights on the LCP?
    Sights? Mine doesn't have sights <LOL>. They are almost non-existant.

A little dab of red nail polish on the front may help.

Thanks for the info on the 88gr. I've been using Wolf 91gr at the range with no problems at all.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

MrHutch, I'm with you - this time next year and I'll walk into my shop and buy one off the shelf. For now, I appreciate the rest of you working out the "bugs". (Pun intended)

BAC
    Sounds like a Remington problem instead of a Ruger problem. UMC has a pretty colorful history, in many calibers, so I wouldn't worry about it so much. It is noted that it's the lightest of the loads, though, and is a jacketed hollow-point. The Black Hills is JHP as well, though; how'd it shoot and when did you shoot it compared to the other types of ammo?

-B

[QUOTE]I've never owned a gun sensitive to a particular type factory ammo, but this one definitely does not like UMC 88 Gr. jhp!/QUOTE]

I have owned a lot of semi auto pistols over the years and, on occasion, have found that a particular pistol wouldn't do well with a particular kind/type/weight of ammo. That raises the question of whether it is a flaw in the gun or the ammo and calls for some testing to ascertain just what is happening. Most of the time it was ammunition specific and the pistol would run well on other choices. It pays to check this out and it sounds as if you are on the way to doing just that. Hope you like the Elsie Pea and find her reliable.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

I've heard a couple different places online actually (now I can't find them) that the Rem. UMC did not cycle well in the LCP.

Did you have any trouble or thought about how far the trigger goes back? It literally touches the back of the guard. Cowtown gave me a good tip, and that's to use the pad of your finger to shoot.

I love the LCP so far! We shot a couple hundred rounds so far -- not one jam. We only used winchester fmj, and the golden sabers jhp.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    BAC:
    the Black Hills ammo seemed to shoot and group fine. The bullet weight is only 2 grains more, @ 90 gr. as opposed to 88gr for the UMC. The Black hills uses a hornady truncated hollow pt.

So...how does it stack up against the Beretta? Point...counter-point please.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links