Best Concealable 9mm

This is a discussion on Best Concealable 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for a good concealable 9mm or maybe a 380 that i can conceal and shoot confortably. I have rather large hands and cant ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Concealable 9mm

Best Concealable 9mm

I'm looking for a good concealable 9mm or maybe a 380 that i can conceal and shoot confortably. I have rather large hands and cant stand only having 2 and a half fingers on the grip. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Check out the Kahr Pm9, Rohrbaugh R9, Kel-tec pf9/p11, ...

380s are easy to conceal, but I recently sold my Keltec p3at for a kahr cw9,and its just as easy to conceal,and alot more power, one more round,and higher quality weapon.

Itty bitty guns? Look into North American Arms Guardian or Seecamp LWS

The M&Pc is perfect for me, but I have small hands and can get a full grip on it. If you can't deal with the short grips, why not stick with a good ole Glock 19? The Kahr is a slimmer option... Best bet is to go to a gun store or show and fondle a bunch of pistols! Woohoo!

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    ^Agree with the gunstore comment,and the slimness seems to make concealing ALOT more easy,and comforable with my kahr,..the quality is awsome too. I have a 3" XD,and my kahr is a 3.36" barrel,and its amazing how much easier it is to carry the kahr

Sig P239

You are looking for a compromise - small enough 9mm to conceal easily, but large enough grip to take all 3 fingers. The Sig P239 would fit this specification. My hands are larger than average but this grip fits me well.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Taurus just came out with the 9mm, polymer frame model 709 "slim." With a 3" barrel, it's as small as the Kahrs and Kel-Tecs, but with a single action trigger it's faster firing. The trigger is like that on the 24/7 Pro, where you get a double action second strike on a round that doesn't fire the first try. They just announced it at the SHOT Show in February so I don't think it's in stores yet.

I used to think of Taurus as a maker of "copycat" guns but now they're making some unique firearms.
    Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

The web page's Product Description says double action trigger but the Specification box says single action. The picture also depicts a single action trigger. Everything I've read about it inidcates a SA trigger.

I conceal my s&w 908 very easily......but after looking at that P239, I think I may have to have one. Its very sexy and I know Sig folks would never change, from what I read....

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    Of course, a 9mm pistol will have much greater stopping power than a .380 (esentially a 9mm "short"), so I would say go 9mm all the way if the choice is between a 9mm & a .380 pistol.

In the 9mm arena, I have narrowed my choices to the Springfield Armory XD9 subcompact and the Walther PPS. The biggest difference in size is that the XD9SC is two ounces heavier (21 oz. to 19 oz.) and is nearly half an inch wider.

I handled both and found the PPS to be quite small (great for conceal) and semi-uncomfortable to hold. I'm like you, I also have fairly large hands and like a full grip.

Some of the guys like to use extended magazines to lengthen the grip of their concealed weapon. For example, you can get an 8-round mag for the PPS ($50 or so) and that may give you a place to wrap your pinkie finger.

The XD9SC that I handled had a slightly larger grip, I believe and felt more full in the hand, though the positive reports on the PPS make me hesitate to buy an XD9SC :)

Glock 19
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I have a PPS and think it would fit your bill nicely.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Walther PPS - fits all your requirements and you won't even know you're carrying it. Good luck finding one!

I sometimes carry a Kahr CW9. If your hands are large the eight round magazine, it sticks out of the grip just a little, will give your pinkie something to grip. Very nice gun. Sorry, I don't know anything about the ppk.

Administrator
    Concealable is a relative term; some would consider anything larger than a Kahr not concealable, but some people can and do pull off carrying a full size pistol everyday.

Here is my current stable of carry guns 9mm, each has its own role;

Sig 228
    Sig 239
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9- wont fit your criteria, it has a short grip, but you would quickly get over that mental hang up I'm sure.
    "Just blame Sixto"

If Beretta ever releases it, I'm gonna try out the PX4 sub-compact. It has a swapable backstrap for different sized hands.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Concealable is a relative term; some would consider anything larger than a Kahr not concealable, but some people can and do pull off carrying a full size pistol everyday.
    Too true, I used to carry a XD .40 4inch bbl all the time, until I bought a Kahr CW9. I have larger than normal hands too, in my opinion that is, and it still fits my hand pretty well. Would suggest groping one at a local shop. They are priced pretty well too! Hope this helps!

Dave

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links