Comments!!!!

This is a discussion on Comments!!!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I looked at a taurus millinnium pro .45 cal. It was two tone, and i believe is a nice looking firearm. Im not really that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comments!!!!

Comments!!!!

I looked at a taurus millinnium pro .45 cal. It was two tone, and i believe is a nice looking firearm. Im not really that sold on Taurus though, considerably less inexpensive than the other .45s i have been looking at. Im alittle hesitant to purchasing the taurus from the fear of you get what u pay for. Im looking for comments on the taurus, good and bad, about their warranty and customer service. Thanks

2. Remove Ads

I've got some Taurus revolvers and they are well built. I don't think you'll find any problem with the mell pro but have you looked at Rugers P345. Sells for about $430 on the net and it's thinner than most. Thin is nice if you're going to carry it. Good luck.

I've owned 3 Taurus handguns. 2 revolvers and a PT 140. I have NEVER had an issue with any of them. The only bad to say about them is I personally can't stand the "Straight Eight" sights. Some people do like them though. Plus, the customer service is somewhat of a nightmare. Do a quick search and you can find some examples. But, as far as overall quality. I trust my life to a Taurus everyday. I carry a Model 85. My grandmother and uncle also have one as well. I think if you were to buy the gun, you would be more than happy.
    God Bless America!!

I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" in most everything, guns included. Sure, almost all of them will go bang. You can also keep your feet from getting burned on the asphalt with $1.29 rubber flip-flops, and they are indeed shoes, but not my choice.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    For less than $500 you can have a brand new XD 45 or SW M&P .45
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Lead Moderator
    My PT140 was junk. the safety would sometimes lock on safe , even though I never used the safety key lock. and it gave me other troubles as well. Finally the recoil was sharp and painful after only one magazine thru it.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    I tend to tell it like it is, so here we go;

While in between military and my current job, I worked in one of the largest gun stores and ranges in the country full time, and moonlighted several years as well.
    Part of my duties was teaching basic and advanced shooting courses. Everything from basic safety to high level excutive protection certification. I've seen more than a few Taurus guns really rung out for all their worth and it usually doesnt take long.

It was not uncommon to sell hundreds of guns over a busy weekend, and we did carry Taurus products, and I think I've personally sold a thousand or so- they are very hit or miss on quality and even when you do get a good one, they still leave a lot to be desired. With out a doubt, some models are better than others.

They are known to loose parts with some moderate use, and they a lot have to be sent back. And that brings me to step two... their customer service is the slowest I've seen out of any of the major gun companies. A fix that should take a day or two took months. They needed a lifetime warranty because thats how long it takes to get it back. I sure hope they improved that.

Taurus guns might be cheaper in the short scope of things, but once you start buying extra mags or anything else for the gun, it quickly becomes much more expensive than that Glock, XD, or M&P that comes with an extra mag or two or three... Do the math before you get lured into the cheap price tag; there is no such thing as a free lunch.

The only guns I would remotely consider from Taurus is the revolvers, the older PT99 or a Mil Pro in 9mm. I wouldn't touch the 40 or 45 with a ten foot pole.

Sorry if I bashed on anyones favorite manufacture, but I call it like I see it. So go ahead now and defend your purchases.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I tend to tell it like it is, so here we go
    Sixto, Thanks, thats the brutal honesty that i was looking for. I was leaning that way as far as the XD or the Glock, but was just alittle uncertain as to if I was over paying for something and over looking something else. Like u said, im not here to bash someones product or their favorite manufacturer either, just wanted to make sure before I bought my new baby.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; May 9th, 2008 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tags.

If you do get one, make sure you get a "third generation" MilPro. I had a PT145 and honestly, another $100-$150 will buy you a far superior firearm.

Only Taurus I would own and do is the Judge...and that is to kill snakes

http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

The first taurus I ever saw was a revolver. It was in a gun shop and when I looked closely, I could see copper in the steel through the finish. Major red flag.

Several years ago, when I took my CCW class, of 25 people, there were 3 millenium pros and one revolver. The revolver (brand new) didn't work at all. The other three stopped terminally at some point during the 88rds minimum qualifying rounds.
    The only other Taurus I have any experience with is the PT1911, which I have actually been inpressed with. I've shot nearly a dozen of them and haven't had a stop. The owners reports are all good.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

My only experience with Tarus is the Judge and once I shoot a dozen or so rounds the cylinder locks up on me. Will be sending it back but i heard it takes forever

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I tend to tell it like it is, so here we go;

While in between military and my current job, I worked in one of the largest gun stores and ranges in the country full time, and moonlighted several years as well.
    Part of my duties was teaching basic and advanced shooting courses. Everything from basic safety to high level excutive protection certification. I've seen more than a few Taurus guns really rung out for all their worth and it usually doesnt take long.

It was not uncommon to sell hundreds of guns over a busy weekend, and we did carry Taurus products, and I think I've personally sold a thousand or so- they are very hit or miss on quality and even when you do get a good one, they still leave a lot to be desired. With out a doubt, some models are better than others.

They are known to loose parts with some moderate use, and they a lot have to be sent back. And that brings me to step two... their customer service is the slowest I've seen out of any of the major gun companies. A fix that should take a day or two took months. They needed a lifetime warranty because thats how long it takes to get it back. I sure hope they improved that.

Taurus guns might be cheaper in the short scope of things, but once you start buying extra mags or anything else for the gun, it quickly becomes much more expensive than that Glock, XD, or M&P that comes with an extra mag or two or three... Do the math before you get lured into the cheap price tag; there is no such thing as a free lunch.

The only guns I would remotely consider from Taurus is the revolvers, the older PT99 or a Mil Pro in 9mm. I wouldn't touch the 40 or 45 with a ten foot pole.

Sorry if I bashed on anyones favorite manufacture, but I call it like I see it. So go ahead now and defend your purchases.
    +1...I never hears such a true statement..
    for the money, there are much better firearms out there
    if you want my opinion...buy an XD
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Quote Originally Posted by wvshooter View Post
    I've got some Taurus revolvers and they are well built. I don't think you'll find any problem with the mell pro but have you looked at Rugers P345. Sells for about $430 on the net and it's thinner than most. Thin is nice if you're going to carry it. Good luck.
    I love my P345.

I don't know anyone with a Taurus, so I can't say anything about them.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

I bought a Taurus M85UL for my daughter and its been a good handgun. My father, who is now deceased, went through a batch of Taurus semi automatic pistols and never found a good one in the whole bunch. That was some years ago and maybe they have cleaned up their act, but I don't trust a Taurus semi automatic pistol like I do their revolvers. Sixto is telling you the truth, you are rolling the dice so to speak if you are getting one of their semi automatic pistols IMHO.
    God bless our troops!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links