First Carry Gun

This is a discussion on First Carry Gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not really familiar with the Para line, is yours a double stack or single? I carried a 5" SA Mil-Spec for a little over ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Carry Gun

I'm not really familiar with the Para line, is yours a double stack or single?
    I carried a 5" SA Mil-Spec for a little over a year, it was comfortable and plenty concealable in a MaxCon V. A full size 1911 requires a REAL purpose built gun belt though. I recommend The Beltman or Wilderness Instructor's belts unless you want to order a custom rig.

I eventually downsized to a Glock 19 for the weight and recoil but I just bought a Nighthawk T3 last week. For my taste, the Commander length 1911s are possibly THE best carry guns I've ever owned.

I haven't tried that particular holster but with heavy, steel weapons I prefer a dual belt attachment for stability and preferably offset loops to better distribute the weapon's weight. If the holster starts to feel like it's shifting or unstable you might consider this.

As far as the Federal Hydra-shoks: It's older technology but still quite a viable choice for defensive ammo. I personally consider them to be in my top tier of "go to" defensive choices, along with Remington Golden Sabers, Cor-Bon DPX, Double Tap Gold Dots, etc. and I'd feel equally well armed with any of them in my weapon - provided they've been tested for reliable feeding. In .45 I prefer std. pressure .230gr loads but that's a personal choice.

Carrying that big Para won't be as easy as some of the compact guns but it can definitely be done. Try going one size larger on your cover shirts and you shouldn't have any trouble with concealment if you're using a good belt and holster. I HIGHLY recommend that you start carrying around your home now while waiting on your permit to arrive, that way it'll feel more natural when you make that first trip out in public.
    Jack

2. Remove Ads

Big gun. You'll want a secure holster, one attaches solidly on each side of the the for stability and a good gun belt to hold it all up. Check out an MTAC by CompTac or one of UBG's holsters.

I have been trying to wear my rig around the house. I am having the problem of the holster shipping and I am considering purchasing one with two clips on either side. When I was carrying around the house, I noticed that 4:30 was the most comfortable.

Also, I am looking at maybe purchasing a second hand gun for cc and I really like the .45 ACP cartridge. I was looking at the Glock 21 or 30 and the Springfield XD45. Like I said i want to try this out before I buy another to see how it feels.

I wear my rig about 3:30 to 4:00 but everyone has their own particular position where it feels most comfortable and conceals the best. Sounds like you're on the right track with your thinking though.

If you're considering Glocks, you might also look at the G36 or the newer G30sf (short frame), the XDs are quite popular as well. The full size Glocks are a bit large for me but several folks manage to carry them successfully.

I can't over emphasize the importance of a good gun belt though. Until you try one you'll never know what you're missing. It makes a world of difference in comfort and weapon stability.
    Jack

Administrator
    You probably should not decide on what specific ammo you'll carry in your pistol before you actually get the pistol "in hand" and to the range.
    Buy a few different ammo types/brands and see what functions best.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    You probably should not decide on what specific ammo you'll carry in your pistol before you actually get the pistol "in hand" and to the range.
    Buy a few different ammo types/brands and see what functions best.
    Absolutely! That's the important factor. testing gets expensive quickly, especially with .45acp lately - but it's critical in knowing not only what feeds reliably in your gun but also where exactly the rounds you choose are going to impact.

In my own testing last Sunday, Speer Gold Dots were impacting two to three inches left of where the various fmj loads I tested. I never would've expected that so now I'm looking for other SD loads for that gun (Fed. Hydra-shoks or HST, Rem. Golden Sabers, Cor-Bon DPX, etc.).
    Jack
    Last edited by maclean3; May 13th, 2008 at 08:03 AM. Reason: typo

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    I can't over emphasize the importance of a good gun belt though. Until you try one you'll never know what you're missing. It makes a world of difference in comfort and weapon stability.
    Jack
    This is great advice. If you have a strong belt and a well-made holster that is durable, you will notice that a full-size pistol is not too tough to carry around. Think of a backpack. Have you ever noticed how easy it is to carry a full-frame backpack with plenty of gear in it when the weight is distributed properly? Using a good belt & holster is roughly the same concept.

I was actually shopping for a much smaller firearm until I decided to give my XD40 (4" barrel) another try. Lo & behold, when worn properly it's very usable as a carry gun. Small is great but each person has their preferences. A good carry setup can make any gun feel more comfortable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links