First Carry Gun

This is a discussion on First Carry Gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm new to concealed carry...as new as still waiting on my permit. I plan on carrying a full size Para 1911 in a Galco NSA ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Carry Gun

First Carry Gun

I'm new to concealed carry...as new as still waiting on my permit. I plan on carrying a full size Para 1911 in a Galco NSA II IWB holster. The ammo I will be carrying is Federal Premium Hydra Shock. Let me know what you think.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Very Nice!!! I went big when I bought my first handgun (XD45 4" Service). I found it a chore to carry every day and therefore more often than not I'd leave the house unarmed either because I wasn't wearing enough clothes to cover it or I didn't want to drag it around all day. I do still carry the XD occasionally but I picked up a G27 which I carry every day without question. I carry IWB and I forget it's there.

I've gotta give you credit for carrying a full size; especially a 1911. While it's a great gun I know in my case that I'd leave it on my night stand more often than not simply because it's so large.

Good Luck...stay armed and stay safe.

Longo244 has given good advice. Full sized 1911s have the tendency to feel as heavy as boat anchors by the end of the day. If you have any doubt as to whether or not you can endure the weight (OWB or IWB) of a standard sized on an all-day basis, you might want to look at something else.
    The Edge ... there's no honest way to describe it. The only ones who know where it is have gone over.

Prediction

Quote Originally Posted by shadowman85 View Post
    I'm new to concealed carry...as new as still waiting on my permit. I plan on carrying a full size Para 1911 in a Galco NSA II IWB holster. The ammo I will be carrying is Federal Premium Hydra Shock. Let me know what you think.
    A full size Para 1911 weighs about 43 ounces loaded and has a long grip with a fairly sharp point at the end. The weight of this gun will begin to feel significant by afternoon, and the point of the grip will tend to print on most cover garments as you move. Many people who start carrying with a large gun will gradually move downward in gun size over time, balancing comfort and ease of concealment with the desire for a big gun.

I figure that you may eventually wind up with a 25 ounce gun having a shorter grip.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

You could even go to this:

Then to this:

And then end of with this: not much weight but decent firepower.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Classic! Beautiful pistol too. She will get heavy though. I love my steel and wood...but have noted that we all want that lethal .45 ACP package in a smaller/lighter configuration and constantly battle the reliability demon going down that path. I suspect that you will travel down that path with us...go smaller and lighter and then eventually end up with your original carry. Nothing like the Classic large frame package carrying the lethal .45 ACP! Nice holster BTW.

Excellent choice, IMHO. A lot of people carry the full size 1911. It just takes a little getting used to and a good holster. If the Galco gets uncomfortable, you might want to consider a Milt Sparks Versa Max II.

Federal Premium is fine ammo, but expensive. Check out the Federal HST at half the price.

I found that the 1911's are just too heavy by the end of the day and that's why I carry either a CW9 or a 642. Steve48

A proper belt with a proper holster and you can conceal anything. Good choice. As far as concealability...Lima carries a full size 1911 and I believe she is smaller than most of the people on this forum.

You'll do fine. Great choice. And congrats on finally applying for your permit. Good Luck and Stay Safe Out There!
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I got to agree with some of the above....been carrying my Jericho 941 for two days (boat anchor)....I'm going back to my AMT DAO .45 although....imthduke's photos got me droolin'!

Where's my stimulus check????!!!!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Having carried as long as i have , and much of the years been " mandated " as to what i carry i have nothing but respect for the folk who choose to carry a full " duty " gun . For myself i carry the smallest, lightest , thinest pistol i can afford nowadays and its a kahr p9. I love my 1911s but dont love the back pain at the end of the day , the same can be said for my 4" revolvers . The little kahr tucks anywhere my ppk/s did and does it at even lighter weight . If you can/are willing to dress for it , and the weight of the pistol/mags does not bother you you will be hard pressed to do better than that para . Your choice of ammo is both effective and defensible in court if it comes to that . Hydra Shock is the only non +P ammo i use for any cal that i might carry .

If you happen to ( in some months ) feel that the para is just too much " work " dont be afraid to scale down . If it feels fine by all means carry it .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    To the OP- remember, no matter what, the Para you got is still a great gun and will be a joy to shoot. Even if you decide to add a smaller gun soon, you can still enjoy shooting a 1911 when you want to. Bottom line, don't let us armchair QBs kill your fun.

Good choices
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911packer View Post
    Federal Premium is fine ammo, but expensive. Check out the Federal HST at half the price.
    +1

You can also probably find Speer Gold Dot 230 grain JHPs locally.

Thanks for all the great info! When I finally get my permit, I will test it out for a few days and if i feel its a "boat anchor" I might go with a smaller 1911. I do love shooting it and adding Hoque grips has made it even more enjoyable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links