A Customer Service Tale of Two Guns...

This is a discussion on A Customer Service Tale of Two Guns... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 2008 update on an old problem I had with a cheap gun. Background goes back to 2006 when I made what turned out to be ...

Thread: A Customer Service Tale of Two Guns...

A Customer Service Tale of Two Guns...

2008 update on an old problem I had with a cheap gun. Background goes back to 2006 when I made what turned out to be an error in judgment, and I bought a cheap gun (Rossi R462, 357mag 2" snubbie). Partial details already discussed.

The Rossi broke one day after being purchased NIB and about 60 rounds at the range, cylinder bolt just broke and it had to go back to the factory for service on my dime. grr. They fix it, fast forward 6 months and about 400-500 rounds through it, it breaks again, another trip back to the factory on me. At this point I got it fixed again, but decided to sell it. Unfortunately my dad was thinking of getting a .38 so I lent it to him to try and see if he like 38 in my 357. The Rossi broke yet again (3rd time now) after only 6 rounds through it since it's last factory trip. I'm not saying all Rossis/Taurus's are this bad, just that mine is and their service has been the suck. As soon as it comes back this time, it's not going anywhere but the local shop where I take whatever they'll give me for it, at least I'll get enough to buy a soda or something. So that's one tale, other than the part where I replaced this thing with a Ruger SP101 and haven't had the slightest hint of trouble with a 357 since.

I thought I'd update this since a thread on another board came up about customer service. To give kudos where it's due, I did want to mention a much better customer service experience with Springfield Armory. I acquired (not the original owner) an S.A. GI model 1911 that unfortunately broke after 400 rounds and 2 weekends at the range. Unlike my Rossi/Taurus customer service experience, Springfield Armory showed some decent give-a-hoot. I got through to a real cs person quickly, she got a technician on the line in a 3-way conversation to diagnose my problem, and SA sent me fedex labels to ship the gun to them on their dime for warranty service. I'm disappointed the gun broke, but these things do happen and I'm gratified by Springfield's handling of it. If or when I'm in the market for another firearm I'll be remembering Springfield Armory for this, just as I remember Rossi/Taurus the other way.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    SA Customer Service is superb. There is none better.
    Best,
    Jerry

Sounds like Rossi must have had a bad batch of cylinder bolts (improper heat treating ?) and kept putting one of these in your gun. Sorry to hear about your troubles with Rossi and glad to hear of your success with SA.
    God bless our troops!

One thing I look at, unless it's a "safe queen" collector piece is Customer Service from the manufacturer.

I stick with proven brand names like Springfield, S&W, Ruger and Colt for the most part. I have a couple of KelTecs, but they are so cheap I can afford to replace them if they break.

Any man made part can and will at some time break. I carry multiple guns in case that happens to me at the worst possible time.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar

Thumbs up

Colt's customer service is outstanding. You wouldn't know it from looking at their horrible website (last updated in 2004), but their service is top notch.

For example: They were backordered on recoil springs for the Defender a couple of years ago. I called them just to ask when they might be available. The lady I was speaking with put me on hold for a couple of minutes, went to the service department and got a new recoil spring, then mailed it to me for free. This was on an 8-year old gun, I might add. I've heard of similar experiences with them from others, as well.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I have the same experience with SA, great customer service....I do not buy taurus/rossi....too many posts like yours.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

B52
    SA has great customer service. They fixed my Loaded SS Champion in 5 days and even sent it back to me all polished up with no holster wear. I did have to pay the shipping in advance, but I got it reimbursed 14 days later. When I opened the box it was like getting a brand new 1911 all over again. They earned a life customer with me!
    Last edited by B52; May 9th, 2008 at 04:18 PM.

I saw a thread on another forum about SA. A guy had a brand new 1911 in his backpack on his motorcycle. He realized his backpack felt a little light and the zipper opened up and his new springer flew on to the highway at 65+mph. He had pics up on his thread and the Springer was trashed, hit the road and was ran over. He sent it in and they fixed it. It was a miraculous transformation. Springfield has amazing customer service, hopefully I will never have a need for them.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwebel View Post
    I saw a thread on another forum about SA. A guy had a brand new 1911 in his backpack on his motorcycle. He realized his backpack felt a little light and the zipper opened up and his new springer flew on to the highway at 65+mph. He had pics up on his thread and the Springer was trashed, hit the road and was ran over. He sent it in and they fixed it. It was a miraculous transformation. Springfield has amazing customer service, hopefully I will never have a need for them.
    I saw this also on the 1911 forum I believe. It was his fault and they fixed it.

Minor update: kudos all the way around to Springfield Armory. They actually read the letter I included with the pistol and waited until I was going to be back in town to return ship the pistol (per my request in the letter). They also polished the feed ramp and reamed the barrel to help with some FTF issues I'd been having, which I asked them to look at while it was going to be at the factory. Going by the dates on the paperwork included with my gun, it took them about 4 days to fix it. I got the pistol back at lunchtime the day after I returned from a trip.

In contrast, so far 3 weeks later all I have from Rossi is a letter saying they received my pistol and to expect a 6-7 week processing time (about what it took them the previous two trips to the factory). That, and a statement that Rossi is "committed to the highest standards of customer service". Snicker snicker, yeah right. Caveat emptor, at least I learned from this.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    One thing I look at, unless it's a "safe queen" collector piece is Customer Service from the manufacturer.

I stick with proven brand names like Springfield, S&W, Ruger and Colt for the most part. I have a couple of KelTecs, but they are so cheap I can afford to replace them if they break.

Any man made part can and will at some time break. I carry multiple guns in case that happens to me at the worst possible time.

Biker
    Don't worry about the KelTecs

They are top notch warrenty and customer service wise on par with the others you listed.

Never a issue with them at all.

Springfield Armory originally told me that the jamming issues I had with my XD45 were caused by the Federal 230 gr JHPs I was using, and that only FMJ ammo was recommended. I was basically told to put 600-700 rounds through it and call them back if it still acted up. Well, by that point, it was better, but that experience, in addition to other issues the gun had (corrosion in the cocking serrations being high on the list, followed by a mile-long trigger pull), soured me on S.A. and the XD pistol, which I replaced with a G21.

To their defense, the second S.A. rep I spoke to was nice and extremely helpful, promised to repair the pistol to my satisfaction, and basically told me that the first rep was full of it. But by that point, the XD was already gone.

I was seriously considering picking up a stainless Springfield 1911A1 someday, but I probably wouldn't now, after seeing the corrosion issues that plague the Bi-Tone XDs.

Just goes to show you that you can still get bad service from companies with good reputations.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Links