Recommendations for "Snake" gun needed

This is a discussion on Recommendations for "Snake" gun needed within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; cheap .38 special revolver (read: rossi, charter arms) with shot-shells (aka snake shot, rat shot). shot-shells don't cycle reliably in semi-autos. a .38 load of ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for "Snake" gun needed

cheap .38 special revolver (read: rossi, charter arms) with shot-shells (aka snake shot, rat shot). shot-shells don't cycle reliably in semi-autos. a .38 load of shot will ruin any snakes day, especially at any distance close enough to be worried about.

2. Remove Ads

Mo
    I carry a snake stick when walking in the woods. Took some herpetology classes in college when working toward my Biology degree, did some field work on frogs and used to have this guy:

I understand about not wanting to keep a stick with you all the time, sounds like a revolver with shot in it is the way to go. Just like with bad guys though - I'd recommend avoidance over engagement.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    about any pistol will work fine if you do your part . I have killed em with a p3at lol . I dont bother with special loads , I just make sure i shoot them within an inch or so if the head so if needed i can just step on the head and pull the body off of it . Last week i killed 3 in the same spot , they were desputing the territory around a corner post when i was building fence . My Kahr p9 loaded with ball ammo did just fine .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    In the 70's and 80's,I was in the auto salvage business.Talk about snakes!I carried a .22 revolver loaded with rat-shot.It never failed me.

if it is about 2.5 feet or less, just step on its head and use your pocket-knife. If it's bigger than that, use a shovel, 2x4, or something to pin it down...then step on its head and use your pocket-knife.

seriously, I've dealt with scores of rattlesnakes and only shot 1 that someone else already shot and didn't kill (it was really ticked).

no sense in wasting ammo on snakes, especially if you stand to lose your job over it.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

VIP Member
    I'm a reptile lover so I'd never shoot one. Move it away with a stick and it'll leave you alone.

I got suprised by a rattler about a year ago. I had nothing with a handle to hit the snake with and I needed it gone. I grabbed my Ruger MKII and started bangin' away. It took MANY shots to kill it. After getting the needed headshot I inspected the snake and found that I had put 4 big holes in him that didnt even seem to slow him down!! Be Careful!!

+1 to the shovel/stick/entrenching tool idea.

The simple fact is, if you are close enough to use your shot loaded gun (from a concealed location) it would have been way faster and probably safer just to move the snake.

If you are far enough away to get your gun out (from concealment) and use it easily, you could have just as easily walked away.

And for the times you blindly walked right up on them, you are already bit, so...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Precision View Post
    +1 to the shovel/stick/entrenching tool idea.

The simple fact is, if you are close enough to use your shot loaded gun (from a concealed location) it would have been way faster and probably safer just to move the snake.

If you are far enough away to get your gun out (from concealment) and use it easily, you could have just as easily walked away.

And for the times you blindly walked right up on them, you are already bit, so...
    Agree totally.......

There are only two ways to get bitten by a rattlesnake. One way is to tease it then do something stupid and get bitten (ie, screwing around with it) Other way is to step on it. Either way, you get bitten and a gun is a rather dubious defense.

The real question is, why do people feel some need to kill rattlesnakes? They're just working for a living like everybody else. Leave them alone, and they will do the same for you.

A lot more people die from bee stings each year than by snakebite. What's a good load to carry for bees? Will pepper spray work?

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    there are those of us that actually work in the woods, and by the nature of our jobs must be at certain places, often repeatedly over the course of several days. If those places are occupied by snakes, and we are most likely going to have to frequent those places several times over the course of a project, then the snake tends to lose it's value really quick. There are times when a snake just absolutley needs killin'! In years past I had absolutely no problem leaning over and taking out a copperhead or cottonmouth with a plain old 24 inch machete. I really don't crave the adrenlin rush anymore, thus the shot shells. And, when Mr. No-Shoulders is no longer among the living (as in shoot until the threat is no longer a threat), he/she is left belly side up in the trail with some survey ribbon strategically placed on the ground to attract the attention of all crew members.

Quote Originally Posted by libertarian5 View Post

A lot more people die from bee stings each year than by snakebite. What's a good load to carry for bees? Will pepper spray work?
    .22 shot-shells work great for bees :)

when i'm bored at the hunt club i poor some soda in the mud and wait. then i lower the local population of yellow jackets with the ruger single six and some cci shot-shells.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhutch View Post
    .22 shot-shells work great for bees :)

when i'm bored at the hunt club i poor some soda in the mud and wait. then i lower the local population of yellow jackets with the ruger single six and some cci shot-shells.

a man of my own heart!

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    a man of my own heart!
    it's really fun, lol. i would try it on carpenter bees, but theres that whole "be sure of your target and what's behind it" rule and i think i would get a little to trigger happy to pay attention... so i stick with the badminton raquet for them.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    there are those of us that actually work in the woods, and by the nature of our jobs must be at certain places, often repeatedly over the course of several days. If those places are occupied by snakes, and we are most likely going to have to frequent those places several times over the course of a project, then the snake tends to lose it's value really quick. There are times when a snake just absolutley needs killin'! In years past I had absolutely no problem leaning over and taking out a copperhead or cottonmouth with a plain old 24 inch machete. I really don't crave the adrenlin rush anymore, thus the shot shells. And, when Mr. No-Shoulders is no longer among the living (as in shoot until the threat is no longer a threat), he/she is left belly side up in the trail with some survey ribbon strategically placed on the ground to attract the attention of all crew members.
    Going into their environment and killing just because you dont like them isnt right... Wear snake boots. The infestation of mice and disease in New Mexico was directly due to too many snakes being killed....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links