Recommendations for "Snake" gun needed

This is a discussion on Recommendations for "Snake" gun needed within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mr surveyor there are those of us that actually work in the woods, and by the nature of our jobs must be ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for "Snake" gun needed

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    there are those of us that actually work in the woods, and by the nature of our jobs must be at certain places, often repeatedly over the course of several days. If those places are occupied by snakes, and we are most likely going to have to frequent those places several times over the course of a project, then the snake tends to lose it's value really quick. There are times when a snake just absolutley needs killin'! In years past I had absolutely no problem leaning over and taking out a copperhead or cottonmouth with a plain old 24 inch machete. I really don't crave the adrenlin rush anymore, thus the shot shells. And, when Mr. No-Shoulders is no longer among the living (as in shoot until the threat is no longer a threat), he/she is left belly side up in the trail with some survey ribbon strategically placed on the ground to attract the attention of all crew members.
    Well, I'm a field suveyor myself and actually I've worked in the woods almost all of my life. I have worked in Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Texas, and various other snake filled states on oill field projects for over 30 years. I've seen hundreds - probably thousands of snakes and I've never killed a single one of them. I've never been bitten, either. (I have come a little too close a couple of times.) There have been three snakebites on the crews I worked on over this entire time. One occured when a brush cutter killed a rattlesnake with a machete then decided to pick it up. Another time a helper was messing around with a cold, sluggish cottonmouth one morning and got nailed on the hand. Third time a crew caught a small rattlesnake and was bringing it to the office to show everyone when it got loose in their truck. All three incidents could have been avoided by the use of a brain. (Think Darwin here.)

The reason people kill snakes is because they can. Usually, there is no logic for it, whatsoever. I could possibly see a problem when they stray into a neighborhood with kids and pets, but that is it.

Snakes do more good than they do harm. The overpopulation of prarie dogs (think bubonic plague, here) in recent years due to rattlesnake roundups is a good case in point.

My CCW is for those snakes that walk upright on two legs, not for the other kind.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Well, I guess that settles the issue of anyone ever needing a "snake gun".

Quote Originally Posted by libertarian5 View Post
    The reason people kill snakes is because they can. Usually, there is no logic for it, whatsoever. I could possibly see a problem when they stray into a neighborhood with kids and pets, but that is it.
    if i saw a big rattlesnake, i would shoot it.

and then clean it, bread it, and fry it :)

snake meat is goooooooood

but if it was too small to eat, i would let it be. unless it had already bitten me, then i might be a little bitter...

My father swears by CCI 22 Magnum shot in his Smith Ultralite for the copperheads in our neck of the woods. Whatever I was carrying has always been sufficient for me. When I can't carry (in the field, only new carrying in civilization) I usually have my hiking staff which has a spike at the end. Snake shish kabob is almost more fun...
    Facts are negotiable, perceptions are not.

I'm +1 with DNS & Sixto.

Speaking strictly as an EMT, I would not advise anyone to handle or move any snake that they may encounter. Too many people have been bitten by venomous snakes while trying to imitate the Crocodile Hunter. Stand still and let the snake crawl off away from you. If you are in a precarious situation, and the snake is cornered, then shoot if you have to as there is no other option in this case.
    God bless our troops!

VIP Member
    Some of these comments sound like the same things the anti's say. An unfounded fear of something dangerous, so lets just get rid of it.
    No offense to anyone, but it boils down to ignorance or "lack of knowledge" on the subject. Just like the anti's, I'm not going to change anyones mind. But when the rats and mice that carry diseases take over, you'll know why. And snakes carry no diseases.
    Killing something "just because it's there", I'll never understand.
    I do have an understanding of snakes because I use to do school educational programs. I had rattlesnakes, cobras, 16 foot pythons, you name it, and I've bred them all also. I still go to Cottonmouth dens every year. I've seen thousands I guess and funny thing, one has never "come after me".

In a place you've only dreamed of where your soul is always free...
    Walk heavily and carry a big stick. Add one of these to you pack, just in case:

Sawyer® Products - The Leader in Outdoor Protection
    Law without force is impotent.
    Blaise Pascal

Do some of you belong to PETS (people for the ethical treatment of snakes)?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnfreak View Post
    Walk heavily and carry a big stick. Add one of these to you pack, just in case:

Sawyer® Products - The Leader in Outdoor Protection
    Actually just read in the Maxim that came in the mail the other day that sucking the poison only spreads it. First thing I would do before thinking about defense is thinking about treatment. Call around to hospitals and make sure you know which one has the anti-venom you need.

I was taught that the only reasons to kill any animal is for food, clothing, and protection. If you feel you need to kill a snake then cut off the head, bury it deep, skin and eat the snake, and preserve the skin. Otherwise leave it alone.
    They keep the vermin in check. Those people who kill Garter (garden) snakes deserve the abundance of slugs they get when all the snakes are gone. Those who kill Bull snakes deserve being over run by Rattle snakes. whose who kill Rattle snakes deserve the Rats and Mice, etc.

Are You Anti-Gun Too?

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    I was taught that the only reasons to kill any animal is for food, clothing, and protection. If you feel you need to kill a snake then cut off the head, bury it deep, skin and eat the snake, and preserve the skin. Otherwise leave it alone.
    They keep the vermin in check. Those people who kill Garter (garden) snakes deserve the abundance of slugs they get when all the snakes are gone. Those who kill Bull snakes deserve being over run by Rattle snakes. whose who kill Rattle snakes deserve the Rats and Mice, etc.
    You have obviously not had snakes eat your chicken eggs, kill your pullets or bite you when you were walking through dense foliage. Or eat your baby catfish that you are raising.. probably not had 30% of your crop destroyed by feral hogs. I will not take the life of an animal that is endangered or protected, that means they are plentiful. When I hunt for game animals I only hunt during the seasons per the published hunting laws and I eat what I shoot. I also trap mice and rats, but I feed them to my chickens and catfish. I will take the life of an animal that is destroying my crops and livestock and is a potential danger to myself and my family. Those are not game animals, but I would be completely within my right to kill even game animals if they do these things. I don't kill beneficial animals like garter snakes that are not causing any depredation. Perhaps you should add if the animal is destructive to your list.
    Last edited by Yoda; May 13th, 2008 at 03:10 PM.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gljaxon View Post
    You have obviously not had snakes eat your chicken eggs, kill your pullets or bite you when you were walking through dense foliage. Or eat your baby catfish that you are raising.. probably not had 30% of your crop destroyed by feral hogs. I will not take the life of an animal that is endangered or protected, that means they are plentiful. When I hunt for game animals I only hunt during the seasons per the published hunting laws and I eat what I shoot. I also trap mice and rats, but I feed them to my cheickens and catfish. I will take the life of an animal that is destroying my crops and livestock and is a potential danger to myself and my family. Those are not game animals, but I would be completely within my right to kill even game animals if they do these things. I don't kill beneficial animals like garter snakes that are not causing any depredation. Perhaps you should try to educate yourself on the benefits of hunting just as an antigun person should educate themselves on the benefits of owning a firearm.
    I do understand the difference here. My points are towards those who merely walk through the woods ( in the snakes territory ) and kill just because "they dont like them".

Years ago, we had a nest of garter snakes under our front steps. When we bought a new house, I gathered them all up and they moved with us.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycarry View Post
    I do understand the difference here. My points are towards those who merely walk through the woods ( in the snakes territory ) and kill just because "they dont like them".

I may need to go back and re-read the entire thread again because I fail to recall anyone suggesting that they: merely walk through the woods ( in the snakes territory ) and kill just because "they dont like them"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links