Recommendations for "Snake" gun needed - Page 4

Recommendations for "Snake" gun needed

This is a discussion on Recommendations for "Snake" gun needed within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live on the river bank....cotton mouths come into my yard where small children walk....when they do....I turn the Judge loose on them .410 style....you ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I live on the river bank....cotton mouths come into my yard where small children walk....when they do....I turn the Judge loose on them .410 style....you don't want to kill poison snakes in your yard....that's ok with me...if I kill them in my yard and you don't agree with that ....get over it.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Even Indiana Jones said, "why does it always have to be snakes."
    I don't like snakes. But.......if you kill all snakes, you will be overrun with rodents. Poisonus snakes will try to avoid you. Make some noise. Learn to identify harmful snakes, let the rest go.
    I found a snake in my kitchen last year, coiled under the cabinet. He scared me. I was barefoot. But I opened the door and left the room. When I came back he was gone. (He was a harmless black snake). Now I always look. I don't know how he got in. I've seen him several times outside and say hi. My blood pressure and heart rate skyrocket.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
    Buying a derringer would be a bit stupid, especially a Bond Arms derringer. It is big, heavy, and you get ONLY 2 shots.
    That was my thought. I don't like the idea of having to hit a relatively small, moving target with a 5-inch competition 1911, let alone a tiny little pocket deringer. I guess there's a possibility that the bang might scare a snake away, but actually hitting it? Good luck.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    That was my thought. I don't like the idea of having to hit a relatively small, moving target with a 5-inch competition 1911, let alone a tiny little pocket deringer. I guess there's a possibility that the bang might scare a snake away, but actually hitting it? Good luck.
    If I should happen to encounter a snake and it is moving, then it keeps on moving (Read my posts, it goes it's way, I go mine). If the movement is a strike at me, then it will be back in a poised position soon, and I am either bit or in the process of backing out of range. If I am bit, BANG, then we both go to the local hospital. Otherwise I am picking a different path

Laying under a piece of equipment and one coming up out of a prairie /dog/gopher/other rodent hole, or even taking a nap under said equipment, it is now a territory dispute and I am not in a position to whack it with a shovel, or scoop it up and fling it away with said shovel that I am not carrying around with me. A hasty retreat out of range may not work so well either if it is coiled up and ready for a strike.

Use of a snake gun is a last resort (as is all my usage of any gun on anything other than paper).

On a side note, I finally talked with the company safety supervisor about this;

"Unofficially and off the record, since there is a abnormally large problem with the rattlesnakes in Lamar, if an employee should happen to keep a 2 shot derringer with bird shot with them in the event that they are caught in a position where the avoidance of one is not feasible, like while under a piece of equipment performing repairs or maintenance, what stance is the company going to take?"

"Guns are against company policy. If the employee kept it hidden and was not showing it off to everyone and it was only used in the defense of their personal safety - not just out hunting them, then I expect an exception would be made."

I suspect that I would still get written up and possibly removed from that job or suspended if there were witnesses or it became the talk of the job site. Usually when I am working on equipment, it is beached at the staging area or somewhere on the site if it just stopped working, either way, there is not a crowd of coworkers around.

As for a relatively small target, the safety supervisor had just came back from that job and had a nice picture of a 3"-4" OD and 5' long rattler coiled up and cranky.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    Snakes are deaf...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    I may need to go back and re-read the entire thread again because I fail to recall anyone suggesting that they: merely walk through the woods ( in the snakes territory ) and kill just because "they dont like them"
    Funny you should say that, your post was the exactly that. You said your work takes you to areas where they are and they just plain need killin.

Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    I may need to go back and re-read the entire thread again because I fail to recall anyone suggesting that they: merely walk through the woods ( in the snakes territory ) and kill just because "they dont like them"
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycarry View Post
    Funny you should say that, your post was the exactly that. You said your work takes you to areas where they are and they just plain need killin.
    Children... play nice.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Children... play nice.
    Yes Pa

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I'm gone fishin' for 4 days. I promise I won't be reducing the poisonous snake population between now and Monday. And, probably won't be reducing the Texas/Louisiana bass population much either

no harm done

surv

Derringer for shot shells

I picked up a cheap .38 derringer for the express purpose of using it with the CCI shotshells for snakes once. Came to find out the first time I went to load it that the CCI shotshells would not chamber in it...they were too long! Evidently the chamber wasn't designed to accept that square-edged shot case. Probably would have been just fine if it had been chambered for .357 though. Just something to consider when looking at a derringer. (I quickly traded it off after that)

When one lives close to nature and with a very limited budjet, any animal that destroys crops or Kills food animals is considered a danger because their destruction may mean you starve. As I stated I respect animal life and only kill for food or if threatened. If an animal is killing livestock then they are a danger to children. Wild pigs that destroy crops, taste real good after all they are rooting up good quality food. When Racoons and Coyotes kill farm animals they threaten my existance since these animals are destined for food.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    When one lives close to nature and with a very limited budjet, any animal that destroys crops or Kills food animals is considered a danger because their destruction may mean you starve. As I stated I respect animal life and only kill for food or if threatened. If an animal is killing livestock then they are a danger to children. Wild pigs that destroy crops, taste real good after all they are rooting up good quality food. When Racoons and Coyotes kill farm animals they threaten my existance since these animals are destined for food.
    Food for thought. Snakes eat baby chicks etc , but snakes also eat mice and rats which eat grain ( and carry diseases.)

I carry a set of Pillstrom Tongs from 66 Holland Drive Farmington, Arkansas 72730 in all my vehicles. They are long enough to keep you away from the snake, you will not get fired and it will give you time to make sure your not killing something besides a rattlesnake. They are also handy for picking up stuff you don't want to touch and make great fire place tongs also.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

I often get snake calls and never kill a non-poisonious snake and of the hundreds of calls I've gotten about snakes not one of them has been a poisonious snake. I just catch them with the Pillstrom Tongs and bring them home and turn them loose on my place. Now if they were rattlesnakes I wouldn't bring them home but the typical bullsnake works great for me in my barn.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

You can achieve the same results with CCI shot shells, both in a revolver and a semi auto. So don't rush out an buy a 45/410 unless you just want one, or one of those hard to handle 2-shooters. The CCI will do exactly what you want to do. By the way you do know that some west Texas rattlers get well over 10 ft and as big around as your thigh. (I hate snakes)
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links