Recommendations for "Snake" gun needed - Page 5

Recommendations for "Snake" gun needed

This is a discussion on Recommendations for "Snake" gun needed within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by raevan When one lives close to nature and with a very limited budjet, any animal that destroys crops or Kills food animals ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    When one lives close to nature and with a very limited budjet, any animal that destroys crops or Kills food animals is considered a danger because their destruction may mean you starve. As I stated I respect animal life and only kill for food or if threatened. If an animal is killing livestock then they are a danger to children. Wild pigs that destroy crops, taste real good after all they are rooting up good quality food. When Racoons and Coyotes kill farm animals they threaten my existance since these animals are destined for food.
    Bubonic Plague has come back in the southwestern states due to eradication of rattlesnakes which traditionally spent winters denned up in prairie dog towns. Now cattle aren't dying as much of snake bites, but they are of broken legs. The prairie dogs are a much bigger problem than the snakes ever were. And the bonus is plague.

We have to be careful when we mess with mother nature. To do so because of some childish phobia about snakes is inexcusable. If you are removing, or killing rattlesnakes because they are a hazard, that is fine with me. (I hope you consume it in some way, though.) If you are doing it for any other reason then you need to think about what you are doing.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridgeline View Post
    You can achieve the same results with CCI shot shells, both in a revolver and a semi auto. So don't rush out an buy a 45/410 unless you just want one, or one of those hard to handle 2-shooters. The CCI will do exactly what you want to do. By the way you do know that some west Texas rattlers get well over 10 ft and as big around as your thigh. (I hate snakes)
    The Eastern Diamondback is the largest rattlesnake in the US and it "might" reach 8 feet though rare. The record is around 8 feet, but they're not even in Texas.
    The Western Diamondback and the Timber rattlesnake are the largest rattlers in Texas and the record is under 8 foot for the Timber and about 7 foot for the Western. Both average about 4-5 feet. I've never seen evidence of a 10 foot rattlesnake. Another "myth" on snakes besides the popular "they'll come after you".

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    I'm disagreeing with some on here, Then no one can agree with everyone.

My G-21 will eat the CCI shot shells (45 ACP) and keep on going, it's recoil spring is broken in and it has yet to fail to cycle a round of it. The G-19 (9mm) that the wife carries won't cycle, but then she doesn't have near the rounds through hers that I have through mine. Also, the new (G21SF) won't cycle either, new spring too I guess. When I get home or weekends when I'll be out on the farm a lot, I switch out my spare mag of Gold Dots for a mag full of CCI. I've lost a ton of chicken eggs to snakes, and some baby chicks too. I don't like to kill black snakes, but if there up close to the house, they have to go. Any copperhead is gone also. My 4 year old is still learning to watch where he is playing, yes, snakes rarely attack, must be provoked, he also has a habit of not watching where he is walking too. we live way to far out to get any help any kind of quickly. That's one chance I'm not taking. Sorry of it offends anyone. One mans vice is another mans virtue.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycarry View Post
    Snakes are deaf...
    Yes and No... snakes "hear" by feeling vibrations through ground. Same concept is sound waves vibrating our eardrum - they can still very much "hear" in their own manner.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Yes and No... snakes "hear" by feeling vibrations through ground. Same concept is sound waves vibrating our eardrum - they can still very much "hear" in their own manner.
    You are correct, but I'm not sure firing a gun in the vicinity will scare it off.

It's easier and much faster to just step away from the snake or to kill it with a stick or ASP. I jumped off of my mountain bike when almost running over a rattler years ago. He was coiled up and would not leave so I picked up a big stick and killed it. It was too easy. Although I pack a lot of firepower when out hiking, I just let snakes do their own thing when I encounter them.

Stepped on a Diamondback once in the high desert of so/cal he /she turned it's almost completely around and struck the sole of my boot . lt went to snake heaven, and l went to check my foot and my jockeys strange thing it never made a sound.
    l know this is not politically correct however if l run into one now l figure the Almighty must not have liked that snake.
    It is not wrong to be Right
    An apeaser is a man who hopes that the crocidle eats him last

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links